Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation
Default Does lifting help with vertical?

I've been doing a lot of weightlifting for my legs lately (leg press, hamstring curl, calf raises) but I can't quite tell if it's helping me jump higher. Am I wasting my time?

p.s. I don't really care about my vertical enough to bother with plyometrics and stuff like that. I just want to know if basic lifting will help my jump at all.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Does lifting help with vertical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
I've been doing a lot of weightlifting for my legs lately (leg press, hamstring curl, calf raises) but I can't quite tell if it's helping me jump higher. Am I wasting my time?

p.s. I don't really care about my vertical enough to bother with plyometrics and stuff like that. I just want to know if basic lifting will help my jump at all.

In one word, yes. Stonger legs will get you higher but exercises like squats, deadlifts and power cleans are much better than the ones you listed
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Atrokkus
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Atrokkus has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, for vertical, forget about machine exercises. Explosiveness and absolute strength needed for good vertical are built with free weight (barbell/dumbbell) exercises like clean and jerk, power cleans, squats etc.
Machine exercises are best for initial strengthening, muscle endurance and rehabilitation after injuries.
Atrokkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Leg Press is a huge waste of time... I wish they would just remove those gyms.

Like the others have said, it will help you, but you have to use the right exercises, and train in a specific way (low reps always, a mixture of low and high weight, and max effort).
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

Like the others have said, it will help you, but you have to use the right exercises, and train in a specific way (low reps always, a mixture of low and high weight, and max effort).
Can you explain this part?
jamal99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

I wouldn't really say any exercise is a waste of time, but if you're doing only leg press for quads then you're definitely not going to get the results you want. Doing leg press after squats is probably the best way to go.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Aussie Outcast
Kids at the park dunk on me

Aussie Outcast has an OK reputation so far

Leg press and any other machine is a massive waste of time if you want to get more explosive.

Squat, dead lift (and its variations eg: RDL), snatch, cleans etc are the way to go.

You want to lift heavy as you can with fairly low reps (5 rep max). Get plenty of rest inbetween sets in order to get max ATP resynthesis.

With respect to doing plyos way too many ppl over do it. If your tired after plyos you've done too much.

I normally prescribe 2-3 rep max and do maybe 5-6 sets with HEAPS of rest in between sets (like 3+ mins)
Aussie Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Can you explain this part?

Low reps meaning year 5 or 6 reps max per set. I can't give you the ratio in terms of how sets many to do with really heavy weight and how many to do with fairly light weight, but incorporating both lead to better games than doing heavy weight ALL of the time. The goal is try and power up whatever weight is on your shoulders. Look at Olympic Lifters training regimens tho (talk about training for explosion) they work out based on their previous Max attempt with percentages and sometimes they only do up to 60% of their max in a day. There is a science to all of this but I just don't know all the numbers exactly. Just switch it up between light and heavy... but do mostly heavy. like every 4th time do lighter weight. Something like that.

And Yea with Plyos... really less is more. Like Aussie said, very few reps, very few sets, and massive rest in between. When you get done with Plyo workout you should feel like you can jump as you possibly can on that day... not be tired to jump high anymore. IMO they are hardly necessary if you are doing it for basketball because basketball is plyometrics unless you only play once a week or every couple weeks... but if you play a lot, adding more plyos is just going to strain your body really.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: