Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

I was just thinking about how we always see guys swat shots.. or block them in general... but half of the time.. they could of probably just grabbed and held onto the ball and controlled it rather than sending it out of bounds to the other team. Why don't more players just catch the ball? I know super athletic bigs like DJ, McGee and Dwight could easily do this. DeAndre got good this year at swatting it to teammates but why not just catch it?

I understand swatting into the 10th row gets the crowd and team going.. but it's also not a really smart basketball play.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

It's hard to catch the ball with one hand, even with huge hands. If you swat it but keep it in play, it puts pressure on the other team to re-group and avoid a 24 second violation.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Kensta
National High School Star

Kensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected posterKensta is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Getting a block shot itself is hard. I can't even imagine how much harder it is to catch the ball without it being called a goal tend.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
It's hard to catch the ball with one hand, even with huge hands. If you swat it but keep it in play, it puts pressure on the other team to re-group and avoid a 24 second violation.

I understand why you block a shot... but how rare is it to catch the ball? I've seen it like 10 times in 15 years of viewing the NBA. Like I said.. I know it's not easy but Dwight, McGee and DJ absolutely have the vertical, reach and hands to do this at least once a game. It shouldn't be a super rare play. I understand the timing required... but I'm talking about defense in the post, not on the perimeter on jumpers.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta
Getting a block shot itself is hard. I can't even imagine how much harder it is to catch the ball without it being called a goal tend.

Dwight averaged 5.5 blocks vs the Hawks in the playoffs. You don't think he could of caught 1 or 2 of those instead of swatting them into the 5th row? It's just something I noticed. If you can get up high enough to smother a shot and swat it really hard... why can't you grab it? Not saying it's easy... but I was wondering why it's such a rare play in basketball, especially for bigmen.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Dwight averaged 5.5 blocks vs the Hawks in the playoffs. You don't think he could of caught 1 or 2 of those instead of swatting them into the 5th row? It's just something I noticed. If you can get up high enough to smother a shot and swat it really hard... why can't you grab it? Not saying it's easy... but I was wondering why it's such a rare play in basketball, especially for bigmen.

It's extremely hard to time it. Anyone with good athleticism and a minimal amount of timing can block a shot. But to actually catch it requires insane timing and coordination. Very few can do it and if it does happen, it's usually by dumb luck.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

I do it all the time with MJ in 2K lol, I double a big guy when he's on the block

But I think its because:
A) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball
B) Timing has to be absolutely perfect, have to be ahead of the ball on its way up
C) Not many players have the ability to block shots, let alone time it perfect
D) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
ThaSwagg3r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjLYrwQeOI

Simply put it is tough to do.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
I do it all the time with MJ in 2K lol, I double a big guy when he's on the block

But I think its because:
A) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball
B) Timing has to be absolutely perfect, have to be ahead of the ball on its way up
C) Not many players have the ability to block shots, let alone time it perfect
D) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjLYrwQeOI

Simply put it is tough to do.

. Rodman did it a few times I remember also. I'm sure the great Manute Bol could do it without jumping .
Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It's extremely hard to time it. Anyone with good athleticism and a minimal amount of timing can block a shot. But to actually catch it requires insane timing and coordination. Very few can do it and if it does happen, it's usually by dumb luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=2m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXVS2MOh3_E#t=8m7s

Last edited by PHILA : 09-16-2011 at 03:58 PM.
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I was just thinking about how we always see guys swat shots.. or block them in general... but half of the time.. they could of probably just grabbed and held onto the ball and controlled it rather than sending it out of bounds to the other team. Why don't more players just catch the ball? I know super athletic bigs like DJ, McGee and Dwight could easily do this. DeAndre got good this year at swatting it to teammates but why not just catch it?

I understand swatting into the 10th row gets the crowd and team going.. but it's also not a really smart basketball play.

Dwight Howard, for one, has specifically been told by people that he should try to keep his blocks inbounds rather than spiking the ball out of bounds, but swatting it out of bounds is something he deliberately does and is not going to change:

Quote:
No player in the NBA blocks more shots than Dwight Howard, but there’s a common theme among critics of Howard’s defensive game: he doesn’t keep his blocked shots in bounds. It’s a nitpick, sure, but it’s a legitimate concern when you’re talking about the difference between Magic ball and the other team’s ball.

On Wednesday night, Howard answered about his philosophy when blocking shots. Here’s what he had to say:

They told me to grab them, but sometimes blocking a shot and sending it out of bounds shows a team it’s not going to be easy to come in the paint,” Howard said. “Grabbing it, that’s like being a showoff or something like that, even though it is kind of cool.”

So not only is Howard trying to block shots, he’s trying to make defenders shy away from him later in the game. He wants to send a message.

“Every block,” he says.

So... grabbing the ball to keep it in-bounds and gain possession for your team, essentially turning the other team's attempted shot into a turnover is showing off, but swatting a shot out of bounds isn't.

Quote:
Effective Shot Blocking Is a Lost Art in NBA

THE VALUE of shot blocking is more psychological than physical, an important point to remember as the Warriors attempt to "go big'' for next season.

If a shot blocker forces other teams to change their offense, he's of great value. Manute Bol was like that with the Warriors. Whether big or small, every player coming into the lane had to alter his shot when Bol was there. That made Manute valuable to the Warriors even though he had no other discernible basketball skill.

Bill Russell, who is probably the best defensive center ever, always had shooters looking over their shoulder to see where he was. Russell had another important skill: He kept the ball in play. He would block a shot, recover it and start a Celtics fast break.

There is more shot blocking today than ever, but very little of it has any psychological effect. Most shot blockers do it strictly on athletic ability because their leaping ability enables them to get to a shot even when they're slightly out of position.

But that kind of shot blocking is of little effect. The ball is swatted out of bounds, and the shooting team gets it back. Nobody is intimidated, no offensive plans are changed. It is just a break in the action.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Dwight Howard, for one, has specifically been told by people that he should try to keep his blocks inbounds rather than spiking the ball out of bounds, but swatting it out of bounds is something he deliberately does and is not going to change:

So... grabbing the ball to keep it in-bounds and gain possession for your team, essentially turning the other team's attempted shot into a turnover is showing off, but swatting a shot out of bounds isn't.

Great post dude. I agree 100 percent with you as well as that article clip.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

the first time is fine. sends a nice message to the other team and the ball shooter.

the 2nd and subsequent times seems excessive. but then again not all shots are the same and not all shot blocks are timed right. most of the time its a finger block and thats all is needed to send it to the 5th row.

and if you can get a full hand on the ball, its likely you're either a tall ass player with long ass arm like dikembe or someone who has insane leaping ability who can only get a full hand because of their athleticism and arms are in the swatting motion.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
the first time is fine. sends a nice message to the other team and the ball shooter.

the 2nd and subsequent times seems excessive. but then again not all shots are the same and not all shot blocks are timed right. most of the time its a finger block and thats all is needed to send it to the 5th row.

and if you can get a full hand on the ball, its likely you're either a tall ass player with long ass arm like dikembe or someone who has insane leaping ability who can only get a full hand because of their athleticism and arms are in the swatting motion.

McGee, Dwight, DJ and even Bynum all fit into these categories. Best wingspans, standing reaches and even verticals for bigmen (besides Bynum). They definitely should be able to catch 1 a game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: