Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #46
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,604
R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
If he means the overall level is the best, he may be right. Obviously USA is the best team, and Argentina's great too, but there's a lot of teams from around the world that bring the level down.
It's the same as in soccer, the European championship's got a better overall level, due to not having some Asian or African teams that aren't as good as some European or American teams that don't qualify.

But I really doubt this was what Lakas meant.

The Americas are pretty close with USA, Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico and Dom Rep., but itīs true that if the Olympics were played with the 12 strongest teams, that most likely eight would be European, and four North/South American. Nobody from Asia, Africa or Oceania.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #47
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Deron Williams is a clear cut candidate for best player in Europe, but how can you give him the award when he's not gonna play against the best teams and players?
Imagine this situation: the NBA teams only play against teams of their own division before the playoffs. Would you say a player averaging the best stats in the league in a shitty division is the best? I bet you'd like to see him against better teams, right?

Exactly. These NBA only fans are idiots.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #48
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Get back to me when Anthony Parker wins back-to-back MVP's in the NBA, like he did in the Euroleague. The only player in Euroleague history to win back-to-back MVPs.

Wow an award that existed since 2005................and you use the word "history"

Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #49
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienceslav
Eurobasket = hardest internation tournament?
You just went full retard.

1. EuroBasket

It is the best and hardest competition. This is common and basic basketball knowledge 101.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #50
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
If he means the overall level is the best, he may be right. Obviously USA is the best team, and Argentina's great too, but there's a lot of teams from around the world that bring the level down.
It's the same as in soccer, the European championship's got a better overall level, due to not having some Asian or African teams that aren't as good as some European or American teams that don't qualify.

But I really doubt this was what Lakas meant.

EuroBasket is way harder than the Olympics, where you have 3 games that are 30-40 point blowouts right on your group stage schedule.

Americans are totally delusional in how they think the Olympics is as hard a competition as the EuroBasket.

Slovenia, Serbia, Turkey, Germany teams like that could not even make it past top 7 finish at EuroBasket. It is way harder a tournament than the Olympics, which is just totally overrated because Americans and NBA fans just hype it up like they do anything they think is NBA related.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #51
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
The Americas are pretty close with USA, Argentina, Brazil, Puerto Rico and Dom Rep., but itīs true that if the Olympics were played with the 12 strongest teams, that most likely eight would be European, and four North/South American. Nobody from Asia, Africa or Oceania.

Australia is as strong as most of those Americas teams and even New Zealand is about the same level also.

But the Olympics is really watered down with weak teams. China, Iran, Angola/Tunisia and teams like that. Supposedly they are trying to fix that though by expanding it to 16 teams in 2016.

It would still have some very weak teams, but at least it would get in some of the better teams also. Like for example Serbia didn't even make the last two Olympics just because it is so hard to qualify through EuroBasket.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #52
Positive
High School JV MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 699
Positive has decent reputationPositive has decent reputation
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
EuroBasket is way harder than the Olympics, where you have 3 games that are 30-40 point blowouts right on your group stage schedule.

Americans are totally delusional in how they think the Olympics is as hard a competition as the EuroBasket.

Slovenia, Serbia, Turkey, Germany teams like that could not even make it past top 7 finish at EuroBasket. It is way harder a tournament than the Olympics, which is just totally overrated because Americans and NBA fans just hype it up like they do anything they think is NBA related.
Remember when you said it was the World Championships that were the most important and had the highest amount of competition. I recall you saying that Americans could never win it because everyone else viewed this as the most important tournament. But then the Americans won with their B/C team and now it becomes EuroBasket that is the toughest?
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #53
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion
 
Euroleague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,323
Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive
Remember when you said it was the World Championships that were the most important and had the highest amount of competition. I recall you saying that Americans could never win it because everyone else viewed this as the most important tournament. But then the Americans won with their B/C team and now it becomes EuroBasket that is the toughest?


I never said World Championship was harder than EuroBasket. I said it was harder than Olympics.

World Championship is harder to win than Olympics because pretty much all the best teams are there. In the Olympics only a small amount are there.

So World Championship is harder than the Olympics, as they both have also really weak teams as well. EuroBasket is another story.

There is no USA but other than that the tournament is a freaking war. It is by far the most difficult and hardest competition and ask any player that played in all 3 and they say the same thing. That EuroBasket is way more tougher of a tournament than Olympics and World Championship.

These are just simply facts of international basketball. Olympics is the #3 tournament in terms of the level of the competition. It is #1 in terms of hype because it is the Olympics and because of NBA marketing.

EuroBasket is an extremely hard tournament. Spain has 2 wins in their entire history and just would have 3 if they beat France. France as far as I remember I don't even think they ever won it at all.

Of course according to American NBA fans - they probably think they each have like 15 gold medals at EuroBasket due to "all those NBA players".

And really, this is just exaggerated now. Because in the past, Argentina was a power so the Olympics at least had them also. But today, Argentina is a worse team than a whole bunch of European teams that did not even qualify.

So the disparity in the EuroBasket and Olympics is even widening.

Last edited by Euroleague : 09-18-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #54
RazorBaLade
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,583
RazorBaLade is popular on this boardRazorBaLade is popular on this boardRazorBaLade is popular on this boardRazorBaLade is popular on this boardRazorBaLade is popular on this board
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

timofey mosgov Goat big man
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #55
Positive
High School JV MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 699
Positive has decent reputationPositive has decent reputation
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
I never said World Championship was harder than EuroBasket. I said it was harder than Olympics.

World Championship is harder to win than Olympics because pretty much all the best teams are there. In the Olympics only a small amount are there.

So World Championship is harder than the Olympics, as they both have also really weak teams as well. EuroBasket is another story.

There is no USA but other than that the tournament is a freaking war. It is by far the most difficult and hardest competition and ask any player that played in all 3 and they say the same thing. That EuroBasket is way more tougher of a tournament than Olympics and World Championship.

These are just simply facts of international basketball. Olympics is the #3 tournament in terms of the level of the competition. It is #1 in terms of hype because it is the Olympics and because of NBA marketing.

EuroBasket is an extremely hard tournament. Spain has 2 wins in their entire history and just would have 3 if they beat France. France as far as I remember I don't even think they ever won it at all.

Of course according to American NBA fans - they probably think they each have like 15 gold medals at EuroBasket due to "all those NBA players".

And really, this is just exaggerated now. Because in the past, Argentina was a power so the Olympics at least had them also. But today, Argentina is a worse team than a whole bunch of European teams that did not even qualify.

So the disparity in the EuroBasket and Olympics is even widening.
So you're saying that since EuroBasket is missing some bad teams, it makes it a better competition than one that includes all of the best teams? It might be more competitive on a game to game basis but the other tournaments probably have a higher level of competition overall.

PS: Argentina and Brazil are much better than 90% of the teams in EuroBasket.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #56
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,357
Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague


Greece qualified to the 2012 Olympics Qualification Tournament. They made it through the hardest tournament to qualify through by far (FIBA EuroBasket).

They also beat Serbia (2nd at FIBA EuroBasket 2009, 4th At 2010 FIBA World Championship - despite the refs being against them) to qualify.

Greece will now qualify through the 2012 Olympics Qualification Tournament next summer and will be at the Olympics Basketball Tournament for the third straight time (2004, 2008, 2012).

Greece did this, despite only having their C national team at 2011 EuroBasket.

Now, for the 2012 Olympics, Greece will return such A national team players as Sofoklis Schortsanitis, Vassilis Spanoulis, Panos Vasilopoulos, and Georgios Printezis, as they have all committed for the 2012 Olympics.

Possibly, other A team players such as Loukas Mavrokefalidis, Theo Papaloukas, and Dimitris Diamantidis will also play. As their statements were that they will consider playing at the Olympics (after they have been criticized extremely hard throughout Greece over their terrible recent behavior). Mavrokefalidis was even suspended from Russian League and there has been talk of Diamantidis also being suspended from Greek League. So now they are "reconsidering".

So................................................ ............

Greece will be there with probably about 8-9 of its best players at the 2012 Olympics.

GET READY TEAM USA. Because Greece is coming.


Great call.



Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #57
Punpun
Head Connoisseur
 
Punpun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kicking asses since Dec11'
Posts: 3,587
Punpun has not been impressing people
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Tremendous jinx.

Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #58
EsnareYourHeart
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
EsnareYourHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 8
EsnareYourHeart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

Lithuania, Nigeria and Russia advance to London now~


Group A: Lithuania, Tunisia, USA, France, Nigeria, Argentina

Group B: China, Great Britain, Brazil, Australia, Russia, Spain
EsnareYourHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #59
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,787
LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrAkWhmBoF8&t=7m59s

Get that weak shit out of here! - Derrick Obasohan
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #60
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,756
bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Greece Is Coming To 2012 Olympics

bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy