Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Never thought I'd see a better prospect than Calvin Johnson.

....but this guy could likely be it.

He's 6'6, 220 as a true freshman this upcoming year at Mizzou. Runs 4.45 to high 4.3's and will probably improve that when the combine rolls around for him in a few years.

Very long arms.

And the big thing with him is he's a natural athlete. Even watching Calvin run routes and change directions, you can see he's a bit stiff. This guy though isn't like that, he's got the agility of someone much smaller.

He can jump too. Here is him dunking on someone in basketball. His head almost looks like it's at rim level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xYIZJKpds
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Never thought I'd see a better prospect than Calvin Johnson.

I dont see why you wouldnt see a better prospect than Calvin Johnson
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

At wideout? Calvin up to now is the greatest prospect the league has seen coming out of school.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Calvin was still a better prospect. I've seen his highlights. Calvin's ball skills were far superior. You can say he has agility even though I don't know where you got that from considering he simply just ran go routes and dig ins.. He's 6'6 you're never gonna be an elite route runner if you're 6'6. There's a reason why Calvin isn't a good route runner, he's just way too big. The only exception is Andre Johnson (not as tall even though 6'3 isn't anything to scoff at) whose literally built like a linebacker but is so smooth in his routes. Calvin ran a 4.35 combined with a 44 inch vertical. He was probably way stronger than DGB will be as well. 1 inch isn't going to make you a better prospect. I haven't seen him go up and snatch it like a Fitz and a Calvin so often did. He body catches a lot from what I've seen. Great prospect no doubt but Calvin is head and shoulders above every WR prospect.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
At wideout? Calvin up to now is the greatest prospect the league has seen coming out of school.

Julio Jones drew comparisons coming out of high school. You act like Calvin Johnson is a once in a lifetime prospect. Like there wont be kids who are the same size as CJ and athletic if not more. I'm not saying we can expect these prospects to come out every year but I dont hold CJ like some untouchable talent. Stephen Hill drew comparisons to CJ coming to Gtech as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
Calvin was still a better prospect. I've seen his highlights. Calvin's ball skills were far superior. You can say he has agility even though I don't know where you got that from considering he simply just ran go routes and dig ins.. He's 6'6 you're never gonna be an elite route runner if you're 6'6. There's a reason why Calvin isn't a good route runner, he's just way too big. The only exception is Andre Johnson (not as tall even though 6'3 isn't anything to scoff at) whose literally built like a linebacker but is so smooth in his routes. Calvin ran a 4.35 combined with a 44 inch vertical. He was probably way stronger than DGB will be as well. 1 inch isn't going to make you a better prospect. I haven't seen him go up and snatch it like a Fitz and a Calvin so often did. He body catches a lot from what I've seen. Great prospect no doubt but Calvin is head and shoulders above every WR prospect.

You're speaking on a Calvin Johnson who had years in college vs a damn high schooler. Sorry but you werent saying any of this stuff when CJ chose Georgia Tech. Lets atleast let the kid get some years in college before you start acting like its blasphemy someone is considered as good of a prospect as Calvin Johnson. Geeze.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
You're speaking on a Calvin Johnson who had years in college vs a damn high schooler. Sorry but you werent saying any of this stuff when CJ chose Georgia Tech. Lets atleast let the kid get some years in college before you start acting like its blasphemy someone is considered as good of a prospect as Calvin Johnson. Geeze.

Well said.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

dez

I think Calvin or Dez could have easily been NBA players if that is the route they choose instead...or MLB players for that matter

Calvin Johnson hits HR at Comerica Park

they are that rare breed of athlete that just could just accel at any sport they choose...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR

It's not fair to Dorial to compare him to Calvin Johnson who was done college. If we're comparing both from high school Dorial was a much better prospect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iWBH62N6o

Look at the first route. That's impressive enough to me to see that from a high school kid. Used his strength extremely well and finished it with a touchdown.

He also runs a Wes Welker type route a little bit later. Look at how fluid he is after the run - the cut near the 45 yard line where he maintains his speed. That's a fluid athlete.

He runs like Miles Austin.

That whole thing about being too big doesn't hold weight. Gates is big and runs great routes. Jimmy Grahm is huge and he can run routes. Tony Gonzo has been doing it for years.

It's just rare.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Shaq Goodwin

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011...ong-finalists/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...go-pro-in-both

looks like he will go the NBA route though...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Oh look, prime brought a Dallas Cowboy into the conversation. It's a good thing that doesn't happen very often.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
Rameek
Krust Kingz

nothing special on the route running. its hard to gauge what he reallly looks like based on the opponents. But his ability to find the red zone and go pass people is quite nice considering you know he's coming. They rollled the converage his way and he was able to still get the redzone.

gtech isnt a pass offense and route running isnt a premium there. run blocking is big there.

I remember watching Dwayne Jarrett when he was in HS and people said similar things. I played a Semi Pro game at his school. Lets just say he performed similarly in HS.

Last edited by Rameek : 06-02-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's not hard to gauge what he looks like. The way he runs and moves is the same no matter who is trying to stop him from catching a pass. He doesn't all of a sudden become slower or not as fluid with a NFL level corner defending him.

Dwayne Jarrett wasn't all that close to being the same as this guy in high school. Jarrett was slower & smaller.....he was ranked 44th by rivals in his class.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:

U ain't lie
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:
It's not fair to Dorial to compare him to Calvin Johnson who was done college. If we're comparing both from high school Dorial was a much better prospect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iWBH62N6o

Look at the first route. That's impressive enough to me to see that from a high school kid. Used his strength extremely well and finished it with a touchdown.

He also runs a Wes Welker type route a little bit later. Look at how fluid he is after the run - the cut near the 45 yard line where he maintains his speed. That's a fluid athlete.

He runs like Miles Austin.

That whole thing about being too big doesn't hold weight. Gates is big and runs great routes. Jimmy Grahm is huge and he can run routes. Tony Gonzo has been doing it for years.

It's just rare.

His straight line or incremental speed looks nothing close to Calvin Johnson's though, whether hes waiting for a block or not. Some of those plays he looks patient running but he doesn't seem all that fast to me
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: