Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Default Rashard Lewis says he’s not to blame for huge contract but he’s ‘willing to sacrifice

Quote:
LAS VEGAS — When the NBA last locked out its players in 1998, Rashard Lewis was a teenager living in his mother’s house. He didn’t know what it meant to miss NBA checks because the Seattle SuperSonics had yet to pay him after selecting him in the second round.

But Lewis has much more to lose during this lockout, with a salary that would make him the second-highest paid player in the league next season at $22 million.

He could lose some or all of that money, depending on how long the lockout lasts, but the veteran forward fully supports the players’ union and plans to do whatever it takes to ensure that future generations of NBA players can experience the same benefits past veterans fought for in the last labor dispute.

“I’m willing to sacrifice my salary to get a fair deal,” Lewis said after playing a game with Washington Wizards teammates John Wall, Jordan Crawford and JaVale McGee here at the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series. “It’s only fair.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...8lK_story.html
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Rashard Lewis says he’s not to blame for huge contract but he’s ‘willing to sacrifice

Hes made 118 million dollars to be...pretty good. He should be ok with it.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Default Re: Rashard Lewis says he’s not to blame for huge contract but he’s ‘willing to sacrifice

of course he's willing to sacrifice.

2012-2013 only 13 million or so of his contract is guaranteed, so he's def. gonna get about 1/2 his money that year cuz he's getting cut.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
magnax1
Banned

If Rashard Lewis, and Joe Johnson's contracts don't prove that people over value scoring, then I don't know what does.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
DuMa
Canned

way to man up shard. just a little bit late.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

I´m sorry, why do people blame Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson here? Are they supposed to say, it´s nice you want to pay me 20 million a year, but I´m only worth 7 million a year. WTF. There are maybe 2-5% of players that voluntarily take less money to help a team or join a contender, and that´s mostly after they already had their career contracts.

We have already been through this. The Hawks were basically bidding against themselves at some stage. They went 10-20 million above what any other team could have offered them. So now we blame the players for the GMs/owners being complete retards?
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
hawkfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
If Rashard Lewis, and Joe Johnson's contracts don't prove that people over value scoring, then I don't know what does.

Rashard Lewis doesn't produce. He's horrible.

Joe Johnson got his team to the second round of the playoffs. He's overpaid, but not that badly like Lewis is.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
FatComputerNerd
College star

Big Z took less money than he could have gotten elsewhere, back when he was still a legit borderline all-star caliber player, to stay on the Cavs.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
I´m sorry, why do people blame Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson here?

I love it when people act like they'd say no if someone actually wanted to give them 20 million dollars a year.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Math2
Local High School Star

Lewis sucks at this point.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Ilgauskas and Duncan are the two that come to mind with taking less money to stay where they are. You can't fault players for chasing the money. If you have an option to stay with your team for $6 million or go to a team offering $10 million, most will go to the money. No one's going to say "You know, I appreciate the offer but I'm really worth $6 million, not 10".
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
Ilgauskas and Duncan are the two that come to mind with taking less money to stay where they are. You can't fault players for chasing the money. If you have an option to stay with your team for $6 million or go to a team offering $10 million, most will go to the money. No one's going to say "You know, I appreciate the offer but I'm really worth $6 million, not 10".

most will do what is in their best interest. people have different values though. If I'm Rashard Lewis and someone offed me a max contract then Id smile and sign that ish as quick as possible. Sorry but you don't get the opportunity to sign a 100 million dollar contract every day. For a guy the caliber of Rashard you just can't turn it down. I don't care if he just got done winning 3 titles with the Sonics.... if they were offering 60 millions and Orlando was offering 120 then he would have to be stupid to stay. It just doesnt make business sense unless he thinks staying in his town is worth 60 mill, most don't.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 09-24-2011 at 02:46 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Big Z took less money than he could have gotten elsewhere, back when he was still a legit borderline all-star caliber player, to stay on the Cavs.
Was this pre LeBoon or after he joined?

If pre-LeBron he should be shot.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Was this pre LeBoon or after he joined?

If pre-LeBron he should be shot.

2002-03. Z put up 17/7 with 2 BPG on a 17-65 team.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1

Again the NBA isn't at all a free market, so it really is impossible to tell what is truly overvalued or even assess the true value of things.

The way I see it, the top players are undervalued and are underpaid for what their worth. The salary cap rules so prevent free market forces and allow the players to migrate to what they think is fair.

If scoring is truly overvalued, you can simply steal all the best dirty workers in NBA to your team by paying them a fair price while others are overpaying for scorers. See Real Madrid in the first galatico era. Didn't value their defensive players like Makelele and he got stolen by Chelsea. In the end Chelsea won their championship while Real became nothing despite spending so much money. But due to the NBA's stupid rules, this can never happen.
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: