Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague has not been impressing people
Default Chris Kaman And Mike Fratello: European Basketball Is More Physical Than NBA

http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/i...er-atmosphere/

Chris Kaman is playing for the German national team for the second summer in his career at the 2011 EuroBasket, but the Los Angeles Clippers center is still getting used to the more physical and team-orientated European game and fans being closer and more involved in the action.

“It’s a little more physical and the game is played a little more slower. And the court is a little bit smaller. So you don’t have as much room,” said Kaman at the EuroBasket warm-up tournament Supercup in Bamberg, Germany.

Kaman said the European game is more fundamental and has less one-on-one isolation than the NBA.

“Here everybody is ready to give the ball up for their teammates to make shots. Everybody is playing together on a string. I think it’s a bit slower but it’s a bit more fundamental. It’s a bit more solid at the core of basketball. It’s more basketball,” explained Kaman.

The camaraderie of Euro ball reminds 29-year-old Grand Rapids, Michigan native, who played for Germany at the 2008 pre-Olympic tournament and the Beijing Games, of his times back in college at Central Michigan University.

“It’s more of a team thing and I like the concept a lot,” he said.

“Together as a team you do stuff, you eat all our meals together, we room together. To come here it’s refreshing. It’s a lot different than what I’m used to for the last eight years in the NBA. So I enjoy it.”

German national team coach Dirk Bauermann recalled Kaman’s first summer three years ago and how he struggled to cope with the physicality of the game in Europe.

“I remember when we played Croatia in the pre-Olympics (Kaman) told me “Next year I am going to bring my American football gear. It’s a skills game. But they let you get away with murder in the lane. What is that?’”

Bauermann said Kaman complained back then that the advantage he has skills wise was being taken away with the physicality.

“That’s just not right,” Kaman told Bauermann.

But the German boss told the 7-footer that he just has to get used to it and play the same way on the defensive end – something Bauermann believes Kaman has learned to do more and more.

Kaman said another big difference between the European and the NBA is the proximity of the fans in the arenas.

“It is a very close atmosphere and everyone is on top of you, which is an awesome experience,” said Kaman at Bamberg’s Stechert Arena, which holds about 7,000 spectators in a sardine can-like atmosphere.

“Obviously it’s a very different experience from what I am used to in the NBA. In the NBA, the floor is in the middle and everybody is far back and way off and it’s more of like a spectator and you’re just sitting back and watching like at a movie.

“Here it’s like everyone is involved and into the game. I find it very exciting and it helps the team to keep the pace and keep the energy going. The fans are an important part of the game.”

Kaman hopes to experience a bit more of an NBA-like feeling next summer at the London Olympics, which will be played at the O2 arena in the British capital. Until then he will have to enjoy the exciting atmosphere of European ball.

Last edited by Euroleague : 08-29-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Default Re: Chris Kaman: European Basketball Is More Physical Than NBA

Now combine that with what Mike Fratello said:

Just like I have been saying in this forum all along.

http://twitter.com/#!/ismailsenol/st...28661882372098
http://twitter.com/#!/ismailsenol/st...28801833705472

Mike Fratello: "It's a more physical game over here. NBA rules helped change the game that brought scoring up. This is a man's game over here."

Mike Fratello: "I'm very anxious to see the reaction from the NBA players that come over here. They'll be awakened to the style of bball."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And it pretty much proves that all this "NBA is more physical than European basketball" talk from NBA fans is just pure fantasy.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

LBJFTW has decent reputation

Great to see NBA players getting more physical in another league. All that means is that when the NBA gets going again, it will be that much better and continue to be the best league of all.
LBJFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
BlackJoker23
Local High School Star

BlackJoker23 has no real reputation yet.

BlackJoker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJFTW
Great to see NBA players getting more physical in another league. All that means is that when the NBA gets going again, it will be that much better and continue to be the best league of all.

If they play that way in the NBA they just foul out. The NBA is a ***** league.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah but

AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
Yeah but

Derrick Rose won MVP in NBA.............which is pretty much a joke in the whole world.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
catch24
phal5

catch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

College Basketball is also more physical.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

d.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
RRR3
Where the White Women?

RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
Derrick Rose won MVP in NBA.............which is pretty much a joke in the whole world.
But he didn't deserve it.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
RRR3
Where the White Women?

RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bball.guy
[IMG]http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/5514/********.jpg[/IMG]
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

d.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterd.bball.guy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
[IMG]http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/5514/********.jpg[/IMG]
I can't wait 'til they create a wide dog similar to that long cat.
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Man, imagine how much better than European basketball the NBA would be if it was just as physical.

BTW, European basketball is physical only when it comes to defense, but it's the exact opposite in offense. European leagues' players still flop like mad in every serious contact, which further discourages players from driving to the basket. It's funny how an opposing player can push and shove you all the way when defending against you, especially when you don't have the ball, yet, if you act equally physically after you get it and decide to give him a taste of his own medicine, he'll probably flop in zero time and probably draw the offensive foul. Such kinds of double standards make European basketball way more boring for me (and others) to watch. Only spot shooters and players who move well without the ball are rewarded. If you are strong, jumpy and good at attacking the rim, European basketball isn't for you. Not enough offensive physicality allowed.

I won't even go to being a big guy. When Big Sofo was playing for Olympiakos, there would be hardly any game without an offensive foul being called against him, despite him usually playing with way more finesse than what his 350+ lb frame showed. His opponents simply flopped to death. Again, European basketball is NOT friendly with extremes and with diversity. It's as if the only type of players they endorse is the tall, finesse guy with a good spot shot who will get away withmurder defensively, including drawing phantom offensive fouls.

One more thing that it's very well loved in Europe, but hated among pure basketball fans, is the "smart fouling" tactics that are used in order to prevent fast-breaks. Did you forget to commit a purposeful foul and your opponent created a spectacular fast-break. Off you went to the bench. Needless to say, a huge percentage (could easily be 70-80%) of these fouls are flagrant, since defenders don't target the ball, they target the opposing player, they just want to freeze the game. The refs, however, only rarely call these fouls as flagrant. The attacking player has to really exaggerate the result of the foul to have a chance. This is, unfortunately, another part of the "intelligent, physical" European game.

I can't imagine how basketball would acquire its modern popularity if these cheap tactics were used during all the previous decades. Can you imagine the Dream Team opening fast breaks, with the opponent having to purposedly foul Magic or Jordan in every fast break opportunity? It would disgust and sicken fans. Can European fans imagine how ugly it would look if the average defender flopped whenever a strong guard like Galis or Marciulionis tried to drive by them and these stars were limited by their coaches and the rules to only take jump shots or to pass any time they tried to drive to the basket?

Last edited by Psileas : 08-29-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Psileas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
LBJDWADE63
Banned

LBJDWADE63 has not been impressing people

Still Nba> Euroleague
LBJDWADE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
magnax1
Green Union's Grant

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bball.guy
I think this is an apropriate response to any euroleague thread
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: