Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation
Default Why dont the Knicks sign Iverson?

Put dat boi next to Chauncey in the backcourt. He's only 35, he's played with Melo. Chauncey can handle the PG. AI can run off screens for shots and slash and create.

Shooting guard comp in the East:

Wade
Ray Allen
J-Rich
B Rush
Stephen Jackson
Maggette
N Young
Vujajic
DeRozan
A Parker
Rip/Ben Gordon
Bogans
Joe Johnson

AI can still hang wit most of these cats. Yall feel me
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why dont the Knicks sign Iverson?

Most people will hate the idea, but I love it.
AI playing D'Antoni ball (as a spark plug of the bench), would be awesome. You can't have him play big minutes. Stat, Melo and AI in one line up? Not enough shots (or ball) for any of them.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Unforgiven
I brick open layups

Unforgiven has decent reputation

I'd love to see AI back in the NBA full stop. I dont really care weather he fits or not to that team lol.

Remember a thread quoting Kobe wanted LA to have a look at him.

At NY though? I just can't see it being super effective unless he was comming off the bench.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This team needs to play slower and play more defense. The hiring of the defensive assistant shows that. Bringing in a selfish ball hogging player on his last legs strikes me as the last thing we need. If this was a few years ago and Iverson was still Iverson, of course. HIs talent outweight those things. But now? Really?

This is real life, not a video game.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

I'd love to see Iverson once again on court.He can be helpful in a few teams at starting 5. And many teams if he comes from bench.
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

last time Melo and AI were on the same team, the offense consisted of isolation plays galore, each guy taking his turn. The furthest they got was 1st round.

But that backcourt defense with Chauncey and AI would get lit up. Billups is not the defender he once was, and AI's defense has always been his offense.

I want the Answer back somewhere, but NY aint the place. Dantoni would bury his ass like he did other players who he didn't get along with.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
I'd love to see AI back in the NBA full stop. I dont really care weather he fits or not to that team lol.

Remember a thread quoting Kobe wanted LA to have a look at him.

At NY though? I just can't see it being super effective unless he was comming off the bench.

That was pretty much dismissed as bullshit. Sketchy source and/or no source at all.

Of all the teams for Iverson to end up playing for, the Knicks are probably the most terrible option. It sounds like a match made in heaven and a chuckers dream to get the green light and do nothing but provide volume scoring but Iverson and all of his baggage isn't worth it. A non-disciplinarian coach like D'Antoni would let Iverson walk all over him, not to mention that Knicks team needs to start emphasizing defense instead of bringing in aging former stars. Maybe most unsettling is you run the risk of stifling the development of Landry Fields by starting AI... because there is no way AI is maturing at any point soon and accepting a bench role for a shot in the NBA again.

I wouldn't be floored if a team gave Iverson another shot next season but I can't imagine one of the elites or semi-elites risks taking the blow to team chemistry.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How come everyone assumes Iverson is going to sign with a team and be a "selfish chucker" who disrupts team chemistry? Its not like we're talking about a 26 year old Iverson trying to find a team as a Free Agent following a MVP season.

His last tenure in Philly at 34 showed even he realizes that he isnt that type of player anymore. He cant be that player anymore physically, and he had to find other ways to compensate while on the court.

I dont think the Knicks make any sense considering we already have our backcourt worked out with Billups/TD/Shumpert at PG with Fields/Shumpert/Walker at SG. I wouldn't have minded bringing him in 2 years ago instead of playing Duhon.

Now, if we make a blockbuster CP3 trade in which we trade 2/3 of our team again. Then I'd re-think bringing in Iverson as a rental for 1 Championship run year.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

TBH I'm mixed about this. I seriously love AI, like he's one of my favorite players of all time. BUT that being said he isn't a good for this team right now unless he can change his game (and it's probably too late in his career for that). His best skill was and probably still is scoring. We don't need another scorer, we need either a shooter, glue guy or defender at SG and I don't want him taking minutes from Shumpert and Landry.

So if we signed him, I'd kinda be happy because I want this guy back in the NBA, I'm just thinking that he's not a good fit right now and would be better off somewhere else. But if Chauncey gets injured again (knock on wood) then I would bring him in and try to get him to run some PG (I know he's a SG, but Shumpert could potentially be the ideal de facto SG to put next to him). Or if we make a big trade (CHRIS PAUL!!?!!?!) then we could try bring him in (although a CP-AI backcourt is wayyyy too small)
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
Maybe most unsettling is you run the risk of stifling the development of Landry Fields by starting AI... because there is no way AI is maturing at any point soon and accepting a bench role for a shot in the NBA again.

I wouldn't be floored if a team gave Iverson another shot next season but I can't imagine one of the elites or semi-elites risks taking the blow to team chemistry.

So you believe Iverson can start in the NBA and go for 16-20 PPG now?

If not, I dont see any reason to believe he'd even be considered a starter on any team in the NBA. In his most recent interviews hes talked about being willing to play any role for a Championship team. Now, I do think his desire to win would come out on a losing team like Washington or Minnesota tho making him take matters into his own hands.

Other than that I dont see him hurting any team or player with his presence let alone affecting Fields' development, whatever development that is. I dont think adding a new SG in Iverson or anyone else for that matter plays any role into how Fields plays. Actually the best thing that can happen is Shumpert taking his starting SG job, so he can come off the bench as a role player.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
TBH I'm mixed about this. I seriously love AI, like he's one of my favorite players of all time. BUT that being said he isn't a good for this team right now unless he can change his game (and it's probably too late in his career for that). His best skill was and probably still is scoring. We don't need another scorer, we need either a shooter, glue guy or defender at SG and I don't want him taking minutes from Shumpert and Landry.

So if we signed him, I'd kinda be happy because I want this guy back in the NBA, I'm just thinking that he's not a good fit right now and would be better off somewhere else. But if Chauncey gets injured again (knock on wood) then I would bring him in and try to get him to run some PG (I know he's a SG, but Shumpert could potentially be the ideal de facto SG to put next to him). Or if we make a big trade (CHRIS PAUL!!?!!?!) then we could try bring him in (although a CP-AI backcourt is wayyyy too small)

With all the contracts needed to do that deal, I literally wouldnt have a problem with signing Iverson and any other Free Agent available. Actually I'd be in 100% support signing Iverson to start at SG if we dont have anyone else left who could. I'd start him over Bill Walker thats for sure.

Once we get CP3, we're gunning for a title and all the personnel we acquire just has to fall in line so Iverson joining the Knicks wouldnt be too bad of an acquisition.

My dream scenario is pulling off a CP3/Okafor deal at the deadline, and signing both JR Smith & Kenyon Martin once their season ends in China. If Iverson is still out there we can bring him in too and have 4 former Nuggets in our rotation. Wouldnt be worried 1 bit about their character issues for those final 20-30 games + Playoffs. I'd just worried about these guys playing their all to get past Miami and into a NBA Finals. If not, they can all hit the road and we go about putting together a new team around the Big 3.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
This team needs to play slower and play more defense. The hiring of the defensive assistant shows that. Bringing in a selfish ball hogging player on his last legs strikes me as the last thing we need. If this was a few years ago and Iverson was still Iverson, of course. HIs talent outweight those things. But now? Really?

This is real life, not a video game.

yeah i really hate these threads

"The Bulls need a shooting guard... THEY SHOULD GO AND GET TMAC!"

why can't you guys worry about your own team.? The goal is to win the championship not sign has-beens/watched-up players for entertainment reasons
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
So you believe Iverson can start in the NBA and go for 16-20 PPG now?

If not, I dont see any reason to believe he'd even be considered a starter on any team in the NBA.
In his most recent interviews hes talked about being willing to play any role for a Championship team. Now, I do think his desire to win would come out on a losing team like Washington or Minnesota tho making him take matters into his own hands.

Other than that I dont see him hurting any team or player with his presence let alone affecting Fields' development, whatever development that is. I dont think adding a new SG in Iverson or anyone else for that matter plays any role into how Fields plays. Actually the best thing that can happen is Shumpert taking his starting SG job, so he can come off the bench as a role player.

I'm not saying he should start. I was responding to what the OP suggested, which was Iverson starting for the Knicks alongside Billups in the backcourt.

I know that Iverson makes these grand gestures in press statements and interviews about accepting roles on different teams because he just wants to play... but how many times has he made those claims and it hasn't panned out that way? His credibility and days of being given the benefit of the doubt are long over in the NBA. Fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice...

Fields visibly struggled and lacked confidence in the first round this season. While you can certainly chalk some of that up to rookie jitters on the big stage, say they've got Iverson starting and Shumpert/Fields spelling him it's not all that unnatural to think he'll continue to struggle when he sees his minutes dwindling. He's a talented kid and it's clear that NY is high on him considering he wasn't tossed in with the trade for Melo. I'm not a Knicks fan but I really dug Fields and would hate to see D'Antoni shuffle the deck and relegate him to a meager bench role. Why bring in Iverson when you've got a youthful prospect eager to leave it all out on the floor every night?

I think Iverson is capable of being whatever he wants for whatever team he ends up playing for. Only problem is I question what exactly it is that he wants to be. Yes, he's older but we heard similar statements about his growth and maturity prior to the return stint in Philly. I just think we're long past assuming that Iverson can or is willing to "change".
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: