Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Clippersfan86
Banned

Default KG vs Dirk. Gloves off

Okay so I want to start by saying I love Dirk. He's a great human being and an amazing player. That being said I feel like since the playoffs things are really getting out of perspective. Suddenly Dirk is in talks as the GOAT PF... and jumped 50 spots up the all time list etc.

I want to hear from legit posters only. Unbiased guys. Guys with numbers and or logic to back up their opinions. Guys who have watched a lot of both players. No homer picks please. I understand this has been talked about before but these comparison threads are usually filled with trolls and kids who didn't start watching till 2007. So I'm hoping to have a more legit comparison this time. I want guys like Lizzle, Blaze, RR, Crown, Special etc in here.

My pick is KG. Dirk has had a bit more playoff success but KG was always the superior all around player, despite having much less talent around him for so long (Wolves). Dirk's absolute peak also wasn't nearly as good as 25 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg with elite defense that KG had.

Who was the better overall player and who do you have higher on your all time PF list?

Bold your votes for me so I can keep track for fun and my own reference. Thanks!

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 09-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
NBAller
High School Starter

Default Re: KG vs Dirk. Gloves off

KG was the better overall player in his prime imo. But I'd still take Dirk any day of the week and twice on Sundays to start a team with.

Last edited by NBAller : 09-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.
NBAller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAller
KG was the better overall player in his prime imo. But I'd still take Dirk any day of the week and twice on Sundays to start a team with.

Who do you rank higher on the all time list of top PF's and who was overall the better player? Not who you'd prefer to start a franchise with .
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
NBAller
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Who do you rank higher on the all time list of top PF's and who was overall the better player? Not who you'd prefer to start a franchise with .

KG ranks higher than Dirk all time. I've already answered who's the better overall player.

Last edited by NBAller : 09-29-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
KG ranks higher than Dirk all time. I've already answered who's the better overall player.

Oh okay. Because I enjoy watching Dirk play more I'd probably take him to start a franchise too TBH... I'm just trying to figure out where people rank them all time.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

KG is a(n) (all-time) complimentary player. He isn't your number one the way Dirk can and has consistently been.

Kind of an either/or situation though. I'd take both of them over The Mailman.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
KG is a(n) (all-time) complimentary player. He isn't your number one the way Dirk can and has consistently been.

Kind of an either/or situation though. I'd take both of them over The Mailman.

Gotta pick one! Bold your votes for me too plz guys. I'm gonna tally them up just for fun. . I wouldn't call KG a complimentary player though... . KG carried the Wolves for a long time and consistently got heartbroken. He was never surrounded with the talent or depth Dirk has been his entire career.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
NBAller
High School Starter

Quote:
Oh okay. Because I enjoy watching Dirk play more I'd probably take him to start a franchise too TBH... I'm just trying to figure out where people rank them all time.

But, with Dirks new championship I'd move him up 1 or 2 spots putting him even closer to KG.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Gotta pick one! Bold your votes for me too plz guys. I'm gonna tally them up just for fun. . I wouldn't call KG a complimentary player though...
That's where he thrives. If the game is on the line and you can give it someone other than KG, you're good. PP in the '08 Finals.

It doesn't mean he's bad.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
But, with Dirks new championship I'd move him up 1 or 2 spots putting him even closer to KG.

Yup he DEFINITELY moves up into the top 5 PF talks. Before I'm not sure I would of had him top 10 PF.. now he's in the top 5 discussion. With guys like Duncan, Malone, Barkley, KG, Mchale, Bob Pettit etc.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

Quote:
Yup he DEFINITELY moves up into the top 5 PF talks. Before I'm not sure I would of had him top 10 PF.. now he's in the top 5 discussion. With guys like Duncan, Malone, Barkley, KG, Mchale, Bob Pettit etc.
Dirk>McHale. McHale isn't a top 5 PF by any means. Great player though.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
That's where he thrives. If the game is on the line and you can give it someone other than KG, you're good. PP in the '08 Finals.

It doesn't mean he's bad.

Paul Pierce no doubt deserved MVP because he played out of his mind in the finals but that being said it could of easily been KG's the way he made Pau his bitc* defensively in those finals. Not to mention it's well known KG is the heart and soul of the Celtics. Their most valuable all around asset even today at his age probably. I think KG was very capable as a first option... he just was gimped with talent. Older Spreewell with attitude problems.... Sam Cassell with his injuries in 04-05 then his trade to the Clippers next year. He's never had much to work with. Look how loaded Dirk's team this year had to be to finally get over the hump?

I'm sure you give KG the same exact roster at 32 or 33 years old and he wins a ring as well. I understand KG's not the go to scorer Dirk is... no question but his all around impact on multiple facets of the game has always been superior in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Dirk>McHale. McHale isn't a top 5 PF by any means. Great player though.

I agree Dirk>McHale. I was just naming off some of the highest ranked PF's in general because Dirk is up there with those guys right now. Personally here's how I'd rank (I'm probably gonna forget one)

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. KG
5. Dirk
6. Kevin McHale
7. Elvin Hayes
8. Bob Pettit
9. Dennis Rodman
10. Shawn Kemp

my list would be something like that.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

KG had the better prime and peak. Dirk is the better clutch player and offensive player overall, but KG defense/rebounding sets him apart. They're pretty close on all time list because of Dirk's consistent team success, but I have KG ahead
Quote:
Yup he DEFINITELY moves up into the top 5 PF talks. Before I'm not sure I would of had him top 10 PF.
Woah, who did you have in your top 10?
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
NBAller
High School Starter

Quote:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. KG