Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #46
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Okay so we agree. Sound, graphics, presentation etc can add to a game for sure but they aren't vital. BTW.... you compared two completely different genres and games so why are you saying it's relevant? Sure they both got the same overall score but they are nothing alike besides the fact that both have great action.

When a site like IGN reviews games they do not incorporate their own personal preference. So I don't really think Batman having an identical score means it's as good as Uncharted 2. IGN simply does not consolidate any contingent changes. Based on how much more praise U2 received on their website subsequent to their initial review, it should have received a perfect score just like MGS and GTA. Both games who are according to IGN are inferior.

I compared two games that received an identical overall score, yet Uncharted scored aggregately 2.5 points more on sound, graphics and presentation (pretty substantial difference). It's relevant because Uncharted was not inferior in either its lasting appeal or game-play to Arkham City. Yet it received an identical score. Furthermore; Uncharted 2 sold well over 5,400,000copies worldwide and has had the longest sale-cycle in gaming history. By that I mean, people are still buying this game today. The sales revenue from this game has had the lowest sale drop among any other game since Atari was our main gaming console.

This is the same game that IGN rages about in majority of their "Top Games" articles; yet its score does not reflect it. It's a minor issue and I'm arguing for the sake of arguing here. But you've stated something amusing; how sandbox games are held at a higher regard then linear adventure games.

That is very true indeed.
But that implicitly means that Uncharted 2 has kicked every sand-box game ever made, why? When's the last time Naughty Dog made a game? Jak & Dexter in like 2002? Think about, if a linear adventure game can win game of the year, (to date) I believe surpass 6 million copies & win 30+ gaming awards; should it not at the very least receive a perfect score? Something MGS & GTA 4 both received despite not receiving as many accolodes from the gaming world.

The fact that Uncharted 2 being an exclusive is also a detriment to its total sales revenue; because if it was available on Xbox, I'd add another 3-4 million copies because of the online community.

I really hope Arkham City feels as good (or preferably better) then Uncharted 2; I'm just ranting about IGN's inconsistencies.

End Rant :)

Last edited by rhythmic †hesis : 10-15-2011 at 05:06 PM.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #47
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Heavincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,317
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
When a site like IGN reviews games they do not incorporate their own personal preference. So I don't really think Batman having an identical score means it's as good as Uncharted 2. IGN simply does not consolidate any contingent changes. Based on how much more praise U2 received on their website subsequent to their initial review, it should have received a perfect score just like MGS and GTA. Both games who are according to IGN are inferior.

I compared two games that received an identical overall score, yet Uncharted scored aggregately 2.5 points more on sound, graphics and presentation (pretty substantial difference). It's relevant because Uncharted was not inferior in either its lasting appeal or game-play to Arkham City. Yet it received an identical score. Furthermore; Uncharted 2 sold well over 5,400,000copies worldwide and has had the longest sale-cycle in gaming history. By that I mean, people are still buying this game today. The sales revenue from this game has had the lowest sale drop among any other game since Atari was our main gaming console.

This is the same game that IGN rages about in majority of their "Top Games" articles; yet its score does not reflect it. It's a minor issue and I'm arguing for the sake of arguing here. But you've stated something amusing; how sandbox games are held at a higher regard then linear adventure games.

That is very true indeed.
But that implicitly means that Uncharted 2 has kicked every sand-box game ever made, why? When's the last time Naughty Dog made a game? Jak & Dexter in like 2002? Think about, if a linear adventure game can win game of the year, (to date) I believe surpass 6 million copies & win 30+ gaming awards; should it not at the very least receive a perfect score? Something MGS & GTA 4 both received despite not receiving as many accolodes from the gaming world.

The fact that Uncharted 2 being an exclusive is also a detriment to its total sales revenue; because if it was available on Xbox, I'd add another 3-4 million copies because of the online community.

I really hope Arkham City feels as good (or preferably better) then Uncharted 2; I'm just ranting about IGN's inconsistencies.

End Rant :)

There's one glaring flaw in in this post: Different people review different games on IGN. It's not like they all gathered in a room and agreed on a review score. This is just the opinion of one guy on IGN, not the entire website.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #48
Nanners
College star
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: rip city
Posts: 3,981
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Dude it's done in a GTA map sized city. Of course it's more sandbox. BTW.... Game Informer just gave this game a 10! This is going to be one of the GOAT games for sure.

http://gamingeverything.com/10356/ga...-review-is-in/


Hell yes!! I will def be checking out this game. Do you know if you get to drive the tumbler? I would slap someone for a GTA clone where you play as Batman.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #49
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Thanks guys. I'll go rent AC2 once I return Batman. Then I gotta get ready for Skyrim November 11th .
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #50
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Hell yes!! I will def be checking out this game. Do you know if you get to drive the tumbler? I would slap someone for a GTA clone where you play as Batman.

Haha I think you get vehicles.. not sure if it's the Tumbler.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #51
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
There's one glaring flaw in in this post: Different people review different games on IGN. It's not like they all gathered in a room and agreed on a review score. This is just the opinion of one guy on IGN, not the entire website.

Yup definitely true. Each of the reviewers even list their favorite genres and typically are a bit more generous OR harsh with their favorite genres.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #52
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
There's one glaring flaw in in this post: Different people review different games on IGN. It's not like they all gathered in a room and agreed on a review score. This is just the opinion of one guy on IGN, not the entire website.

That solidifies the inconsistencies I suppose; not only with the rating system but also with the initial (website published) review.

Uncharted 3 received it's first review from Playmania (the most respected Spanish gaming magazing), it incorporated in 1999. Since then its highest rated game was Red Dead Redemption which received a 9.8.

Uncharted 3 received a 9.9; for comparison purposes, Uncharted 2 received a 9.5 by the same magazine.

Yep, I'm excited.
Just to stay relevant; Arkham City received a 9.0 from the same magazine.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #53
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
That solidifies the inconsistencies I suppose; not only with the rating system but also with the initial (website published) review.

Uncharted 3 received it's first review from Playmania (the most respected Spanish gaming magazing), it incorporated in 1999. Since then its highest rated game was Red Dead Redemption which received a 9.8.

Uncharted 3 received a 9.9; for comparison purposes, Uncharted 2 received a 9.5 by the same magazine.

Yep, I'm excited.
Just to stay relevant; Arkham City received a 9.0 from the same magazine.

At the end of the day it's what you like. If an amazingly entertaining summer blockbuster you'll forget in a few weeks is what you like, good for you. I personally prefer much deeper games that are less linear and less about the presentation and more about replayability etc. Maybe IGN gave Uncharted a good replayability score but I know from experience those games are the exact same thing on another play through.

Batman has a map the size of a GTA game with large DLC available right away. Not only 2 zones but Catwoman who comes with her own set of completely different missions/goals. Then November 1st comes Nightwing, November 22nd Robin. So the replayability factor of Batman absolutely obliterates Uncharted 1, 2 or 3.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #54
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake
 
AirTupac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,060
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Yeah I think I've made my decision. Batman is the game I'll buy. Looks way too good.

I played the first one and it was great. A little bit short and repetitive at time but I'm sure they fixed it in this game. More weapons , bigger map etc.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #55
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 21,428
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86

Batman has a map the size of a GTA game with large DLC available right away. Not only 2 zones but Catwoman who comes with her own set of completely different missions/goals. Then November 1st comes Nightwing, November 22nd Robin. So the replayability factor of Batman absolutely obliterates Uncharted 1, 2 or 3.


Are you trying to make DLC look good?

Like it's a good thing that within a month there is already $30+ worth of DLC that should have just been included in the game?



Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great game, but the fact that they have $30 worth of DLC available in the 1st month is a joke. I'd rather they not insult my intelligence, and just sell me the game for $90.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #56
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Are you trying to make DLC look good?

Like it's a good thing that within a month there is already $30+ worth of DLC that should have just been included in the game?



Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great game, but the fact that they have $30 worth of DLC available in the 1st month is a joke. I'd rather they not insult my intelligence, and just sell me the game for $90.

I don't agree with the new trend of games requiring you to buy DLC right off the bat. 2K12 did it too with the legends online or w/e. I'm just stating the facts that Batman has WAY more material and replayability than Uncharted. There was a reviewer that said he played 60 hours and was only halfway through.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #57
Rose
Hero in a half shell
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Pole
Posts: 34,921
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I don't agree with the new trend of games requiring you to buy DLC right off the bat. 2K12 did it too with the legends online or w/e. I'm just stating the facts that Batman has WAY more material and replayability than Uncharted. There was a reviewer that said he played 60 hours and was only halfway through.
I was gonna read through this thread, to see why/how the Uncharted debate started but there's wayyy too many paragraphs for me to read.

So I'm gonna say this: One of the game designers of Uncharted 3 said they were already at 50 hours, before they finished production. If that's been said before ignore this part of my post.

Anyways, on topic...this thread basically talked me into getting this game, even though I haven't been gaming that much lately.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #58
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I was gonna read through this thread, to see why/how the Uncharted debate started but there's wayyy too many paragraphs for me to read.

So I'm gonna say this: One of the game designers of Uncharted 3 said they were already at 50 hours, before they finished production. If that's been said before ignore this part of my post.

Anyways, on topic...this thread basically talked me into getting this game, even though I haven't been gaming that much lately.

Yea no doubt Uncharted is a very long game for being a linear adventure. The thing with a Sandbox game though... is that it's as long as you make it. There are a bunch of side missions like randomly helping people etc... as well as Riddler missions/clues to save hostages and get upgrades etc. This may be pushing it.... but I bet a full completion done at a solid but not lightning pace COULD potentially take 100 hours. I doubt it... but if the reviewer is indeed telling the truth that he's at 60 hours already and thinks he's halfway through.

I'm getting the game this Tuesday morning from Blockbuster. I'll tell you guys how it is. I said I'd review 2K12 but by the time I came on next like 10+ people here already had the game so they didn't really need a review from me.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #59
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

BTW Rose the debate came from the fact that a poster brought up the inconsistencies in rating scores from IGN. He didn't like that Batman and Uncharted 3 got the same overall score despite Uncharted scoring higher in the categories like sound, graphics, presentation etc.

I explained that I feel this is due to gaming intangibles in the same way it's viewed in sports. When comparing athletes you have to factor in clutch, leadership etc. I understand they are supposed to remain unbiased and avoid gut feelings, intangibles and genre preferences etc... but it's impossible to do so.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #60
Rose
Hero in a half shell
 
Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Pole
Posts: 34,921
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Yea no doubt Uncharted is a very long game for being a linear adventure. The thing with a Sandbox game though... is that it's as long as you make it. There are a bunch of side missions like randomly helping people etc... as well as Riddler missions/clues to save hostages and get upgrades etc. This may be pushing it.... but I bet a full completion done at a solid but not lightning pace COULD potentially take 100 hours. I doubt it... but if the reviewer is indeed telling the truth that he's at 60 hours already and thinks he's halfway through.

I'm getting the game this Tuesday morning from Blockbuster. I'll tell you guys how it is. I said I'd review 2K12 but by the time I came on next like 10+ people here already had the game so they didn't really need a review from me.
Generally speaking with sandbox games, I just play them till I feel like i've gotten the most out of them. Like Red Dead Redemption, good game! great multiplayer! but I've only beaten like 40% of the campaign because it's sooooo long.

Well my pre-order won't be here till 6 because UPS runs stupidly late at my apartment.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy