Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #76
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Guys who doubted me when I said it's a long game... I've played about 5 hours and I'm only 8 percent done on completion. I'm sure that includes side missions but that's the 40 hours that I said it took right there.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #77
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
chazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 10,938
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
Note to anyone renting this game: if youre renting batman, just be aware that you will not be able to play as catwoman. some of you may not care, but her gameplay in the campaign is integral in the overall storyline. If you do rent the game and want to play as catwoman; youll have to fork over $10 to unlock her and the complete story.
My Blockbuster included the Catwoman code so I guess I lucked out
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #78
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Once you get into a rhythm this game rocks. I just responded to a distress call and it so happens Bane needs my help. I'm really glad he didn't want to fight me because dude is literally 5 times my size in this game.
Yeah the 3rd person view bothered me for like 5 minutes. I'm up to the point where you gotta get in the GCPD building. I did two distress calls so far, and yeah, fighting Bane was tough, though fun, in the first one, and I didn't really wanna go up against him again. I even tried sneaking up behind him only for the cutscene to start

Loving the controls thus far. Using the taser thing while fighting can be a bit of a bitch though.

It took a while to find out how to get to Joker? Remember to use the investigation mode if you're ever lost. Makes life easier.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #79
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Yeah the 3rd person view bothered me for like 5 minutes. I'm up to the point where you gotta get in the GCPD building. I did two distress calls so far, and yeah, fighting Bane was tough, though fun, in the first one, and I didn't really wanna go up against him again. I even tried sneaking up behind him only for the cutscene to start

Loving the controls thus far. Using the taser thing while fighting can be a bit of a bitch though.

It took a while to find out how to get to Joker? Remember to use the investigation mode if you're ever lost. Makes life easier.

Now I'm on Ra's A Goul. He was a pain in the ass!
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #80
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

I can't solve "Shot in the dark" the second shooting. The trajectory doesn't seem to have an ending. If anyone figures it out let me know plz.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #81
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Guys who doubted me when I said it's a long game... I've played about 5 hours and I'm only 8 percent done on completion. I'm sure that includes side missions but that's the 40 hours that I said it took right there.

That's not exactly a true indication of its depth. Whenever I played GTA games, I'd put in 30-40 hours and only complete 40% of the game or so. Then once the main missions are completed, collecting items and completing side missions actually goes by a lot faster and it takes substantially less time to complete the remaining 60%.

It's arbitrary as how long it will take to complete 100%, but 40 hours is completely reasonable. It took me roughly 20 hours to earn platinum trophy for both Uncharted; and they are both a lot more linear in style. When I completed the entire story mode, it says I completed roughly 45% of the game. Picking up the remaining treasures and earning miscellaneous medals took me an extra 6 hours or so. So that's 6 hours to finish off the remaining 55%. It took me 12 hours to complete Uncharted 2 on crushing.

I have read that there is a somewhat grueling learning curve. It takes a while for players to get accustomed to the controls in Arkham City. Due to the limited time I have for games, I might wait on this game. Although it has received prestigious scores and will quite easily contend for GOTY.

In fact, as it stands right now; it's quite easily the best game out to date.
I enjoyed the first one but only put in 4-5 hours and then kind of never went back due to time restrictions.

The scores have been remarkable. Keep the updates coming guys!
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #82
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
My Blockbuster included the Catwoman code so I guess I lucked out
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #83
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

i want to play this game so bad... but im so broke . thank god i gets paid on friday. i hope my local toys r us still have copies of arkham city and dark souls. id hate to see if they're out because i don't want to order online. their shipping prices is laughable, but if worsts comes to worst... i guess ill just have to order it
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #84
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,568
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

I just picked mine up last night. I really haven't played anything all year. Dead Space II last winter, but otherwise, with the exception of a couple Downloadables, Limbo and Pixeljunk Shooter II, I have done nothing but put a few disappointed hours into LA Noir.

I only played a couple hours last night. So far so good. I agree the camera could stand to be back a little further. And navigating the map isn't particularly instinctive yet (GTA is great at this by designing distinctly different neighborhoods), but once again the combat is extremely intuitive, and the story is already compelling. I'm tempted to leave work early to go home and play more, which is a good sign.

I also pre-ordered my Uncharted 3, which I can't wait for.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #85
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Thesis due to the lack of variety on epic PS3 games I may actually give Uncharted another shot with an open mind. Starting with the first one. I played the first game and the controls drove me fu**ing crazy. Even on easy I died.

Mainly because part 2 is supposed to be even better and I only got to play the demo for second game. BTW Batman is a great game guys. I'll avoid spoilers but I've already let's just say dealt with 3 main bosses. After an insane 9 or 10 hours so far I'm only 20 percent done on completion.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #86
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
That's not exactly a true indication of its depth. Whenever I played GTA games, I'd put in 30-40 hours and only complete 40% of the game or so. Then once the main missions are completed, collecting items and completing side missions actually goes by a lot faster and it takes substantially less time to complete the remaining 60%.

It's arbitrary as how long it will take to complete 100%, but 40 hours is completely reasonable. It took me roughly 20 hours to earn platinum trophy for both Uncharted; and they are both a lot more linear in style. When I completed the entire story mode, it says I completed roughly 45% of the game. Picking up the remaining treasures and earning miscellaneous medals took me an extra 6 hours or so. So that's 6 hours to finish off the remaining 55%. It took me 12 hours to complete Uncharted 2 on crushing.

I have read that there is a somewhat grueling learning curve. It takes a while for players to get accustomed to the controls in Arkham City. Due to the limited time I have for games, I might wait on this game. Although it has received prestigious scores and will quite easily contend for GOTY.

In fact, as it stands right now; it's quite easily the best game out to date.
I enjoyed the first one but only put in 4-5 hours and then kind of never went back due to time restrictions.

The scores have been remarkable. Keep the updates coming guys!

There is a learning curve for sure. Mainly because you went from a confined game to a sandbox game. Also because I haven't played the first one for a couple years so I had to basically relearn the combat system and the combos. I got lost so many times at first. I'll admit to you guys in the first few hours I got so frustrated I turned it off and thought about not finishing it because I died like 20 times on certain parts.

I stuck with it though... and now I'm REALLY happy I did. Once I learned how to navigate Arkham, learned all the combat timing and moves again... I'm hooked. This is an absolutely amazing game with tons to do. I keep trying to get to my main mission then a side mission on the way like helping rescue a political prisoner will come up.

I agree BTW that the pace isn't exactly accurate but regardless It's a much longer game than people think.

I have a tip for you guys playing already. Set custom waypoint on map. That will put a big Bat symbol with an arrow on it when you look in the sky and tell you where to land etc so you don't keep having to check map.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 10-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #87
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,780
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Thesis due to the lack of variety on epic PS3 games I may actually give Uncharted another shot with an open mind. Starting with the first one. I played the first game and the controls drove me fu**ing crazy. Even on easy I died.

Mainly because part 2 is supposed to be even better and I only got to play the demo for second game. BTW Batman is a great game guys. I'll avoid spoilers but I've already let's just say dealt with 3 main bosses. After an insane 9 or 10 hours so far I'm only 20 percent done on completion.
Yeah, i didnt like the control either on the first one. i thought it was hard because it didnt control right. im glad im not the only one although we are definitely in the minority. i think ill buy the second one and get the third one when its cheap next year.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #88
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!
 
nightprowler10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madhouse on Madison
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Died 20 times?! All you have to do survive is keep mashing the square button at the beginning! I did die like 4 times against the hammer dude.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #89
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Died 20 times?! All you have to do survive is keep mashing the square button at the beginning! I did die like 4 times against the hammer dude.

Uncharted? Controls just are terrible in first game dude. The aiming system makes me feel like I'm playing a PS1 game.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #90
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
Default Re: Batman Arkham City: "One of the best games ever made" 10/10 score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCCe_UOis8I

For anyone stuck on finding Nora Fries for a long time like I was.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy