Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Better Career: Julio Jones or AJ Green?

I remember at the combine when Julio measured in and was flat out shocked he's only an inch shorter than Green. Green appears to be much much longer for some reason. Jones even at Bama never seemed to play to those physical numbers. That said I thought he was a steal heading into the draft, but his stock actually wound up rising to a point I felt was pretty fair.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
by the way, does that trade sting for you RBA?
Oh, absolutely not. In fact, quite the opposite.

Let's not just look at Jones and his potential, but what they gave up to us and the potential of those picks. I know that the Browns are not a glamour team, so their pieces aren't as well known, but let's discuss.

The Browns gave up Julio Jones.

They got, in exchange...

1. Phil Taylor - He is a DT who has looked absolutely dynamite in the newly installed 4-3 defense. He and Rubin could be a force in the middle for years to come in a conference wherein, if you aren't strong up the middle of your defense, you might as well not show up.

2. Greg Little - Shows a lot of promise. He is coming back from a year off of football and you can see some of the rust at times, but you can also see the potential. He has all of the physical tools to be a very good receiver in this league.

3. Owen Marecic - Fullback who I expected more out of, honestly. However, our West Coast Offense is still a work in progress and he was brought in to be that kind of WCO fullback. In time, this might end up being a real asset. Time will tell.

Upcoming picks...

Atlanta's first-rounder in 2012 - Quite honestly... As much as I am excited about Taylor's great start and his potential down the line, this may be the best part of that trade. The 2012 draft is going to be absolutely loaded. It is being hailed as the best in a long, long time.

We are the only team in the league with two first round picks. On top of that, I think everyone expected this to be a late-round pick and it still may be, but the Falcons are 2-3 right now and they have a very difficult schedule for the remainder of the season.

This could end up being a Top 15 pick and, if it is, celebrations will ensue in Cleveland.

Atlanta's fourth-rounder in 2012 - We all know that impact players can be found anywhere in the draft and GMs tend to hold on to picks in the first four rounds as if their lives depended on it. Well, now we have two fourth-rounders, as well. These could be used to sure-up a roster that is in construction or packaged to move up and attain an additional third-rounder or even a second-rounder, if Holmgren and Heckert are sure on a prospect.

Honestly, I don't care how good Julio ends up... This was a great deal. We aren't in the position of our rebuild to expect one guy to fix things. We had too many holes to fill and the Falcons -- believing that they were one piece away -- may have been just what the doctor ordered.

On top of all that, if we end up with Justin Blackmon next year, which is what I'm hoping with one of our first two picks, I feel that we have the better receiver of the two, anyway.

Blackmon looks like Greg Jennings 2.0 to me. This class is deep and filled with talent, across the board.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
northwinds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
At least bring up Decker if you have to bring up a white guy.

"Who's gonna be better: Decker or Jordan Shipley?"

"I'll take Andre Johnson and his beautiful chocolate skin."

I brought up Welker because he's the leading receiver in NFL......if Welker were black nobody would have any problem with me mentioning him in this discussion.... Some people just can't stand the fact that a European American is leading the NFL in receiving.....but, its all because Randy Moss is drawing the triple team on the other side....
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds
Bob barker.......I'll take wes welker for the win.......

Here's how you properly use "Bob Barker" in a post.

Julio Jones is the washer/dryer in the showcase showdown

A.J. Green is the sports car.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds
I brought up Welker because he's the leading receiver in NFL......if Welker were black nobody would have any problem with me mentioning him in this discussion.... Some people just can't stand the fact that a European American is leading the NFL in receiving.....but, its all because Randy Moss is drawing the triple team on the other side....
Um, white or black, a non-rookie doesn't belong in a discussion about two rookies.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
jazz873
College star

The Falcons need to do something different with Julio because Matt Ryan's deep ball is
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Green
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #23
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Both will be reliable NFL receivers for years to come. Having said that, I'm taking Green. His athleticisim is unmatched and he has great hands unlike Jones who had some troubles with drops in college. If Green played on a team with an elite QB he would be unstoppable.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #24
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Anyone going to comment on my massive post above or was it just too long? I feared that as I was typing it.

Hate when that happens.

Here is the question though, folks. If you were the Browns and you could re-do that deal, would you?

As a fan, I wouldn't... But, what say you, ISH?

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-11-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Anyone going to comment on my massive post above or was it just too long? I feared that as I was typing it.

Hate when that happens.

Here is the question though, folks. If you were the Browns and you could re-do that deal, would you?

Nope, Browns got the great deal. If I was a Browns fan I wouldn't re-do the deal simply because this upcoming draft is looking pretty good, and that Falcons First Rounder could end up being a top 15 picks.

They could easily get Michael Floyd in the 15-20 range who is an immensely talented receiver.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #26
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Nope, Browns got the great deal. If I was a Browns fan I wouldn't re-do the deal simply because this upcoming draft is looking pretty good, and that Falcons First Rounder could end up being a top 15 picks.

They could easily get Michael Floyd in the 15-20 range who is an immensely talented receiver.
I'm huge on Floyd. I actually think I like him better than Alshon Jeffery, who is generally rated higher. The only WR I wouldn't take over Floyd is Blackmon.

You are right, though. We are going to address two major needs in this draft.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #27
irondarts

Quote:
I'm huge on Floyd. I actually think I like him better than Alshon Jeffery, who is generally rated higher. The only WR I wouldn't take over Floyd is Blackmon.

You are right, though. We are going to address two major needs in this draft.
If the Browns First Rounder was top 10 - they could great an amazing OT like Jonathan Martin and then use the Falcons 1st on Floyd later in the First round, I'm really high on Floyd as well. He is an incredible talent.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:

Hate when that happens.

I'd only redo the deal if I could get even more picks.

Browns got 5 picks for the price of 1. If only 2 of those players become productive starters? Its a win. Just based on value its a win.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

impossible to know if the Browns got a good deal or not right now...Julio could go on to be the GOAT WR for all we know.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
impossible to know if the Browns got a good deal or not right now...Julio could go on to be the GOAT WR for all we know.

5 to 1. They got a good deal
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: