Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Alex Smith

with Smith showing what he is showing now, is Colin Kaepernick a wasted draft pick now?
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
with Smith showing what he is showing now, is Colin Kaepernick a wasted draft pick now?

Not at all.

Smith may be playing well but he still has a history of injury. Not only that but he's a tough guy type play who will risk his body, he's already done it this season. He could still really get messed up to a point where he's not effective any more.

Plus even if Smith turns into the QBoF which I'm not even close to sure that'll happen, Kaepernick will have value.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Don't give me that crap. Besides these past 2 weeks Gore hasn't done squat. And so what if he averages 193 passing yards a game? I care about TD-INT ratio and Wins..

In the OP you said he was a really good QB. Now you described him as just a game manager. When I think of really good QBs, thats not exactly the type of QB to pop into my head.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
In the OP you said he was a really good QB. Now you described him as just a game manager. When I think of really good QBs, thats not exactly the type of QB to pop into my head.

I never called him a game manager and he is a good QB..
knickballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Anyone that gives Gore credit for Smith's success is an idiot. Before the Eagles game the Niners had one of the worst offensive lines in football. They were almost dead last in rushing and near the bottom in sacks allowed. Despite all of this, Smith put up respectable numbers and most importantly won games.

Now that the offensive line has picked up its game (mostly due to the benching of Chilo Rachal) and the running game picking up, he's even putting up better numbers. And this is all done without Braylon Edwards one of their top receivers.

Smith has played really well this season. If he continues his success this season, I think the "bust" label will be written off. But there will be some that will label him a bust because he will always be compared to Aaron Rodgers...
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

In hindsight, he could be but at this point I don't think it is. Smith needs to prove he can last the whole season...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
In hindsight, he could be but at this point I don't think it is. Smith needs to prove he can last the whole season...
true, plus like the other guy said Kaepernick would still have value, if Alex Smith shows he is the guy for the future I'm sure they could get something of use for Colin, look what the Eagles got for Kolb LOL.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #23
L8k3r5
Ariana Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
If you haven't known by now I'm a big Smith fan and just dropping by to post how well Smith has been playing this year. Hopefully people are starting to recognize his performances and stop labeling him a "bust"

83-126 for 965 yards, 7 TD's, 1 int, 65.9 completion %, 104.1 QB rating

He's also leading the BSPN's TQBR this week
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...in-and-top-qbr

I'm telling you he's a really good QB..

Thoughts?
Same here. I always knew Smith had great potential. He's starting to show it too this season. Its just that the so-called ''analysts'' who calls him a bust only look at his numbers and don't watch the way he plays the game. 7 coordinators in 7 seasons isn't easy. Just think of it in basketball. Imagine having 7 different head coaches in your first 7 seasons. That would be a pain
L8k3r5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #24
L8k3r5
Ariana Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...416/alex-smith

Looks like a bust to me. Bust = failed to live up to expectations. The season he is having just tells me he isnt a joke of a starting QB. There are QBs who started in the past because teams had no alternative solution. Alex Smith isnt that bad. But to think so far this season the bust label should be removed? No sir.

#1 pick overall in the draft. I know of a guy who went in the same draft. Guess what he's doing today.
I could put money that you don't even watch the games GOBB. Don't base it off stats please.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #25
L8k3r5
Ariana Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
It's not like he never lacked the ability. Anyone who thought he was just a bad QB talent wise just never really saw him play imo. He's always had the talent.

What he didn't have was the confidence. He got tossed behind a terrible line in a terrible team. He then started to improve, but got hurt. Then Mike Nolan went crazy (was already crazy?).

THEN he had that weird shoulder issue and the team nearly cut him.

Then he did lose the job to Shaun Hill. I honestly don't know why. He was either that bad or Singletary's method would make Hill the better option (managing). But then he comes in in the middle of the season and does actually pretty damn well.

2010 was the QB merry-go-round. A debacle to be honest.

So basically what I'm trying to sum up is that he never had something solid to stand on which is what he needs. He has a mental aspect, he's extremely intelligent, but when he gets under center something changes. He either: a) Doesn't trust his arm. b) Always tries to look for the perfect throw. But this year it's different, he's got confidence, he did two things yesterday that made me smile: First he threw that pass in between defenders to Walker for the TD. But even more important for me was when he escaped the pocket ran around a bit, PLANTED, and threw down field, it was incomplete but... important.

With a moving pocket, with some PA fakes, and with very good play calling, he's built some confidence, and it's like a while different QB. The only thing I still want to see him add a bit more is using his feet, he's got that talent too.

Now with Detroit coming up tbh it scares me more than any other game. I don't want Alex hurt, and I don't want him to take a step backwards. It'll be important for that O-Line to continue to grow.
THIS and another thing. His coaches actually believe in him and trust him with the football. I never saw that with Mike Singletary (Remember the incident last year against the eagles)? Or Mike Nolan. But Jim Harbaugh actually believes in him and I'm glad that is happening. Their relationship with each other is one of the big reasons the Niners are 4-1 right now.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #26
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

So I'm going to make the assumption then and assume you 9er fans would still take him #1 again. Because from what I've gathered, he's has great potential and talent and the only reason he's been bad is mostly because of coaching.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #27
L8k3r5
Ariana Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
So I'm going to make the assumption then and assume you 9er fans would still take him #1 again. Because from what I've gathered, he's has great potential and talent and the only reason he's been bad is mostly because of coaching.
That and injuries tend to slow people down when they play football. Of course I'm not calling him Tom Brady or anything, but as long as we rack up W's I'm not complaining.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #28
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8k3r5
That and injuries tend to slow people down when they play football. Of course I'm not calling him Tom Brady or anything, but as long as we rack up W's I'm not complaining.

So you would still draft him #1 then?
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117

In hindsight, Aaron Rodgers would be the consensus top pick. Hands down. Although Rodgers was in a better situation than Smith, it's obvious Rodgers is the better QB. Rodgers productions are off the chart. He's setting himself up for a HOF type of career, hell he's on pace to be one of the best QB's of all time. There are only a few QB's in the league comparable to Rodgers (Manning and Brady) let alone QB's in his draft class.

Smith isn't a bad QB and was put in a terrible situation while Rodgers was drafted by a team that made multiple playoff runs and was one game away from making the Superbowl. I think Alex Smith could turn out to be an average to above average QB in the league (a top 16 QB.) Is that bust worthy? Probably. But I don't think he should be labeled as a bust because he was drafted over Rodgers. They should be judged on a standalone basis.

Basically Smith is no Aaron Rodgers. If you compare a Mercedes E350 to Maybach, the e350 is ultimately inferior. But if you had the option of taking an E350, I don't think many would mind. It's a nice car.

Sorry for the cheezy car comparison. I've never e ven changed a tire in my life which shows how much I know about cars .

Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

QB's I would take over Smith (for this year alone)

Tom Brady
Ryan Fitzpatrick (Debatable? Nod goes to Fitz)
Drew Brees
Matt Schaub
Eli Manning
Big Ben
Philip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Stafford
Romo
Vick
Matt Hasslebeck (debatable? nod goes to hasslebeck)
Joe Flacco
Jay Culter (debatable? nod goes to hasslebeck)
Sam Bradford (debatalbe? nod goes to bradfor)

So he's around 15-20 range at this point. Subject to change.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: