Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #61
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
Uh he played ok. There is a different between adequate and good, typically SB teams require more than adequate play to win.

If Alex didn't have an all world defense he wouldn't be the answer. I think he works as a game manager.

The Niners have an above average QB, you make it sound like he's replaceable. Unless Manning is available, Smith will be starting next year and the year after unless Kaepernick (sp) is the answer.

Besides Smith played well today. The Saints defense did a great job applying pressure during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and the Niners receivers dropped a few balls. The turnovers kept them in the game (including ST turnovers) and Smith had a great 1st and 4th quarter.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #62
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Okay again we have this argument.

A winning team only requires what it requires to win. That's what he gave them today and all season. A game manager doesn't throw for 299 3 TD's and another rushing with 0 INTs in the spots he was in.
Yes a game manager only throws 3k yards and 17 TDs over the course of a 16 game season. Thats the epitome of a game manager in today's NFL.

He played really well today in the 4th quarter. I'm very happy for him, seriously. He's tough as nails and he deserves a lot of credit considering how much criticism he's received, however he's warranted a good portion of that criticism.

The Saints turned the ball over 5 times including 3 times in their own territory. If he didn't throw for 3 TDs that would be a problem given the scenario, the amount of stacked boxes, the blitzing. Look at what Tebow did vs Pitt last week, any QB can get off depending on the opposing defensive game plan.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #63
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
The Niners have an above average QB, you make it sound like he's replaceable. Unless Manning is available, Smith will be starting next year and the year after unless Kaepernick (sp) is the answer.

Besides Smith played well today. The Saints defense did a great job applying pressure during the 2nd and 3rd quarters and the Niners receivers dropped a few balls. The turnovers kept them in the game (including ST turnovers) and Smith had a great 4th quarter.
I'd say he's slightly above average. Like I said, he's a good game manager. If you have an all time great defense and a solid line he can be a very good game manager. Hes tough as nails and he's smart, he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions, he's accurate especially in short to medium range, and he's very mobile. Theres a lot to like about him but really at the end of the day you could say all those same things about Trent Dilfer or Brian Griese.

Of course I think he'll be the QB next year, there is no point where I disputed that, especially after todays performance. What I personally don't believe is that he's the long term answer.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #64
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Uh he played ok. There is a different between adequate and good, typically SB teams require more than adequate play to win.

If Alex didn't have an all world defense he wouldn't be the answer. I think he works as a game manager.

To be fair he's playing with a depleted receiving core. Crabtree, Williams, Ginn and Swain were the only recievers in today's games. Ginn left the game due to injury and Williams has been nursing injuries, Swain was signed off the practice squad weeks ago, Williams is a 2nd year pro who's still raw and Crabtree is ok. Crabtree had like 3 drops, Williams dropped one, Swain stopped short on the deep route, etc. The injuries to Morgan and Walker has hurt him as Smith had good chemistry with them.

I want to see Smith with some added WR's especially a deep ball threat, also if Morgan can get healthy Smith will great next year.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #65
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

I like Alex, I want to see him succeed, he's really likable, and does and says all the right things. You can't honestly tell me however that he's the long term answer. If the Niners didn't or I should say don't, we're not having this conversation.

I think as long as the Niners have a good D, he can continue to be successful, the minute you need to rely on him to win games, it becomes a problem.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #66
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I like Alex, I want to see him succeed, he's really likable, and does and says all the right things. You can't honestly tell me however that he's the long term answer. If the Niners didn't or I should say don't, we're not having this conversation.

I think as long as the Niners have a good D, he can continue to be successful, the minute you need to rely on him to win games, it becomes a problem.

That's the problem though.. He has shown throughout this season that the team can rely on him, just look at today. I think he's tied for 2 in the NFL for game winning drives and has shown time after time he can carry the team throughout the season.

Quote:
Yes a game manager only throws 3k yards and 17 TDs over the course of a 16 game season. Thats the epitome of a game manager in today's NFL.
Some of the NFL's greatest QB's didn't put up earth shattering numbers and it's this thought that todays QB has to put up 300 yards a game in order to be considered a good QB is stupid. Elway, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, etc.. didn't put up these numbers Brees are putting up

49ers are run first WCO type of offense. He also has been extremely consistent throughout the year and didn't have those stat passing type of games most QB's have where they erupt for 400+ yards and 5td's, etc. It's Harboughs offense, even Luck in 2010 didn't have enormous passing yards.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #67
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He does what's asked of him. Why do we get this notion that you uhave to have numbers to be good? Is it fantasy era? Is it video game era? Idk what it is...

But regardless when they said: "Alex throw a slant in our WCO." he threw it. And when they said: "Alex throw deep across the field to Vernon." he did that too. Shit even: "Alex, QB boot. Just run it."

They are a run first, smash mouth, control the ball team. So he's not gonna get the same numbers as pass first, finesse, explosion based teams.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #68
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
He does what's asked of him. Why do we get this notion that you uhave to have numbers to be good? Is it fantasy era? Is it video game era? Idk what it is...

But regardless when they said: "Alex throw a slant in our WCO." he threw it. And when they said: "Alex throw deep across the field to Vernon." he did that too. Shit even: "Alex, QB boot. Just run it."

They are a run first, smash mouth, control the ball team. So he's not gonna get the same numbers as pass first, finesse, explosion based teams.
The reason they play that brand of smash mouth football is due to Harbaugh coddling Smith. Do you really think he wouldn't like to open the playbook up more? Do you really think the 9ers like kicking field goals? Alex Smith does a good job of what he's asked to do...and that's where it ends.

Last edited by Playmakers Dad : 01-15-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #69
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
That's the problem though.. He has shown throughout this season that the team can rely on him, just look at today. I think he's tied for 2 in the NFL for game winning drives and has shown time after time he can carry the team throughout the season.

Some of the NFL's greatest QB's didn't put up earth shattering numbers and it's this thought that todays QB has to put up 300 yards a game in order to be considered a good QB is stupid. Elway, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, etc.. didn't put up these numbers Brees are putting up

49ers are run first WCO type of offense. He also has been extremely consistent throughout the year and didn't have those stat passing type of games most QB's have where they erupt for 400+ yards and 5td's, etc. It's Harboughs offense, even Luck in 2010 didn't have enormous passing yards.
the stats don't really show that though. He put up a mediocre 17 Tds passing and a mediocre 3,000 yards passing. I'm in full agreement with playmaker's dad on Alex. He is a very good game manager and above average QB, but he's not the long term answer IMO. He will be the starter next year for sure, and probably the year after that, but I think Harbaugh maxed out his potential this year with his 3,000 yard (roughly) and 17 TD season. If that is your ceiling, you aren't one of the best, and you aren't capable of carrying the team at any and all times like the best in the game. I still love Alex, and can't say enough about his perseverance all throughout his career up until this point. That guy is a fighter and a leader, and he's one smart ****.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #70
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer

Alex Smith can't carry an offense, nor did he carry the 49ers at any point during the season. The leagues best defense and a solid rushing attack carried the 49ers, not Alex Smith. The 9ers didn't allow 30 points in all 16 regular season games, do you know how rare that is?

There is a reason the 49ers run a very conservative offense, kick a lot of fields, run the ball a lot...It's because Alex has severe limitations as a Quarterback. Harbaugh has built an offense around Alex's strengths that rarely asks him to go out and win a game (today being an exception).
Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #71
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation

From a talent perspective...there's really no reason he can't be a very good quarterback. He throws the ball with zip, is accurate enough, is making good decisions this year....and has shown to raise his level when it gets tough so far this year.

He's improved, for sure, from previous years.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #72
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
From a talent perspective...there's really no reason he can't be a very good quarterback. He throws the ball with zip, is accurate enough, is making good decisions this year....and has shown to raise his level when it gets tough so far this year.

He's improved, for sure, from previous years.
where would you rank him overall? Among NFL starters
Old 01-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #73
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Playmaker's Dad I am under the impression you didn't catch the Niners much this season did you?

And how about the previous few seasons?
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #74
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Playmaker's Dad I am under the impression you didn't catch the Niners much this season did you?

Uh I pretty much caught every game living in San Francisco, being a big fan, and following the team closely.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #75
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:

he's the most clued in fan of the 49ers I know. Possibly the most knowledgeable one in the bay area.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: