Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #91
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Alex Smith

Quote:
49ers have a great defense, probably the best in the league. Falcons are no slouch on defense either. They were ranked 6th in rush defense this season. The Falcons had an elite run D this season themselves. Now obviously they were not as good as the 49ers rush defense but what I am trying to say is that the 49ers weren't heavily superior than the Falcons in that aspect. The same thing goes for the Falcons and 49ers pass D, they were both very closely ranked statistically. The 49ers were better but again, it wasn't by a lot.

The Falcons defense is no where near the caliber of the 49ers. Who cares about the Falcons run D, they gave up 22 points a game, while the Niners gave up 14, you're honestly trying to compare the two? Elite isn't top 6, elite is being ranked 1a or 1b. The 49ers defense was better in all phases of the game, again 14 points a game vs 22 points a game allowed, there is no more of a telling stat then that. Thats is 128 points more points allowed over the course of the season.

Quote:
The Falcons are much more talented offensively, and I am not even factoring or counting the Ryan or Smith to dictate this.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the Falcons have much better offensive weapons than the 49ers do. The 49ers are not that talented on offense, at least in my opinion. I have to say the Falcons O-line is probably better. I am basing it on the fact that Smith got sacked 44 times this season while Ryan got sacked like 26 times this season.

Falcons have a very good line and good skill players, at no point did I suggest anything to the contrary . Never did I say anything about the Falcons having any less talent than the 49ers on offense, what I suggested is that Matt Ryan is a better quarterback then Alex Smith.

Quote:
Now lets talk about the ground attack...

Michael Turner vs. Frank Gore, for the most part. It is pretty much a draw although I would say Frank Gore is the better RB just because he is more versatile and can do more than just run. I think everyone would agree with me on this right? It is kind of odd though since Turner actually had better receiving stats than Gore did but I still say Gore is better and more versatile despite that. I don't think everything is stat-related.

Also, there is a reason why Turner had posted better rushing statistics than Gore did this season and has been for a while now. A lot of it actually has to do with the fact that Turner has the better offensive line in front of him. That is going back to the point I made earlier with how the Falcons have a better o-line than the 49ers do.

Frank Gore has definitely lost a step but he's still a far more effective RB at this point in time. Michael Turner is on his last legs and completely wore down by the end of the season. Why are you even bringing this up?

Again, at no point did I suggest the Falcons don't have an elite run blocking line. I do not understand why you're comparing both teams run blocking and how that has anything to do with evaluating quarterbacks.

Quote:
Now lets factor in who Smith throws the ball to and who Ryan throws the ball to.

Smith has Mike Crabtree, Kyle Williams, Tedd Ginn Jr., Brett Swain, and an underutilized Vernon Davis.

Ryan has Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Harry Douglas, and Eric Weems.

It is very safe to say that Matt Ryan has much offensive weapons to throw it to. Ryan has a all-pro WR in White, a future all-pro WR in Jones, and a future HOFer in Tony Gonzalez. Those other WRs that Ryan has aren't really scrubs either.

Who does Smith have other than Mike Crabtree, who by the way isn't even close to being as good as Julio Jones or Roddy White? Vernon Davis who is very underutilized in the pass game? Ted Ginn Jr. and Kyle Williams who are mainly special teams players?

You can talk about how Smith has the defensive advantage all you want but it's pretty clear that Ryan has the much better offensive advantage.

The Falcons have very fine skill players, they have a better/more effective offensive unit, again not sure why you're trying to point any of this out to me. A big part of the reason they're better offensively is Matt Ryan. He's simply a better NFL quarterback that can make more throws, his arm allows the Falcons to attack teams vertically down the field, something the 49ers aren't able to do, not because they don't want to, but due in large part to Alex's limitation.

Explain to me how Vernon Davis is underutilized in the passing game. Do you really believe Jim Harbaugh under utilizes any player on that offense? Go back no further to the amount of tight end success at Stanford and how heavily their offensive scheme rely on tight ends. The reason Vernon Davis seems "under utilized" is due to Smith not being a vertical passer and take advantage of his speed and route running.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #92
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
He's simply a better NFL quarterback that can make more throws, his arm allows the Falcons to attack teams vertically down the field, something the 49ers aren't able to do, not because they don't want to, but due in large part to Alex's limitation.

That's really not true though.

Matt's biggest weakness is his arm strength. He doesn't have the zip or quick release to really attack teams down the field. He's best suited in the short to intermediate stuff.

I think you can ask anybody who watches the Falcons play consistently that his arm strength is lacking.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #93
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation hereimdaman99 has a near all-star reputation here

giants gotta put some pressure on him next week. last time they met, giants shut down the run and alex smith looked like dan marino on them. time to make him uncomfortable like rodgers looked today
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #94
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Explain to me how Vernon Davis is underutilized in the passing game. Do you really believe Jim Harbaugh under utilizes any player on that offense? Go back no further to the amount of tight end success at Stanford and how heavily their offensive scheme rely on tight ends. The reason Vernon Davis seems "under utilized" is due to Smith not being a vertical passer and take advantage of his speed and route running.

Davis didn't have the best season and at times he was being out played by Delanie Walker. At times in the season he looked unmotivated and he did drop some big passes(he dropped like a 50+ yard against St.Louis or some other team). Vernon this year has been catching alot of shorter passed this year as compared to other years, this is mainly due to Harboughs offense which is short-mid passing game.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #95
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Davis didn't have the best season and at times he was being out played by Delanie Walker. At times in the season he looked unmotivated and he did drop some big passes(he dropped like a 50+ yard against St.Louis or some other team). Vernon this year has been catching alot of shorter passed this year as compared to other years, this is mainly due to Harboughs offense which is short-mid passing game.
I think it is fairly obvious why Harbaughs offense is like that
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #96
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
I think it is fairly obvious why Harbaughs offense is like that

WCO...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #97
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
WCO...
Packers and Eagles.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #98
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
That's really not true though.

Matt's biggest weakness is his arm strength. He doesn't have the zip or quick release to really attack teams down the field. He's best suited in the short to intermediate stuff.

I think you can ask anybody who watches the Falcons play consistently that his arm strength is lacking.
Be that as it may he looks like Matthew Stafford compared to Alex Smith as far as his ability to throw the deep ball.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #99
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

excellent article on Alex and this past game from SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...12/3/index.htm
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #100
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Matt Ryan is probably a better QB than Alex Smith. However, I think it's a stretch to say i'd rather have Matt Ryan in a big spot, because we've seen Matt Ryan in three playoff games, and Alex Smith in 1 (granted a small sample). We'll see next week. One thing though that Harbaugh has to love is you can trust Alex Smith to run the gameplan exactly as he puts it. He doesn't turn the ball over (practically ever), he doesn't make bad third down decisions, etc. Matt Ryan's decision making in pressure situations has been spotty so far.

QB is in large part of function of the team, the coach, the gameplan, the offensive coordinator, etc. And Smith has fit perfectly into what the Niners asked him to do.

My QB (Eli) is a better QB than Alex Smith, i have no doubt at all. But as recently as last year he had a year where his decision making was about 1 BAZILLION times worse than SMith this year. (Seeing Eli take a sack on third down rather than throw it brought tears to my eyes this week - he finally gets it. Totally and completely.)

i have very little to say bad about the 49ers, tough tough game, as i said tougher game i think than the Super Bowl would be.

My 2 cents. ill leave you to your arguing.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #101
9erEmpire
Banned

9erEmpire has decent reputation9erEmpire has decent reputation

Huge 9ers fan here. You can tell by the handle. I am a huge Alex supporter and have supported him through out all these years. You can't give up on a #1 pick.

I knew someday with the right coach, he would do great things. He has shown signs of brilliance, the last 2 years, unfortunately the fan base kind of gave up on him.

It is great to see him play this great and he has improved from week to week. He hasn't thrown an interception for a long time before the one on Thanksgiving and he hasn't thrown one since.
9erEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #102
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation

As a die hard niner fan, it's just so hard to give up on Alex 100%, even though I probably reached 99.9% earlier in the season. I remember watching the Cincy game when he was failing to complete simple out routes, or the Detroit game where he was wildly overthrowing Crabtree over the middle, on multiple occasions, and I swore I would never support Alex again no matter what he did from here on out.

I'm pretty much taking that back now given what he did on Sunday. However, I still consider him second tier and I don't think he'll ever be anywhere near that first tier, although he can improve. He just doesn't have zip on the ball most of the time, the game winning TD to vernon being one of the few exceptions) - very very rarely does he throw tight spirals ala Rodgers, which is not only pretty, but indicates a fastball that can fit into tight windows. Smith just can't do that with any sort of consistency or regularity. Also, Smith just doesn't have the same field awareness as the top tier guys and I don't see that changing - what I mean by that specifically is a QB's ability to adjust protection schemes at the line. He just rarely does any of that - his only adjustment is to keep or kill a play. On the flip side, you look at Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Brady - they're always calling protections at the line. The saints game frustrated me because I was watching it (there) and it was very obvious when the saints were about to bring a blitz, and Alex didn't adjust anything, blitz came shooting through and he thought he could still do a 5 step drop, which he couldn't of course. Things like that will continue to frustrate me about Alex.

In short, things Alex needs to work on:
- ability to consistently put zip on balls to fit into tight windows (perhaps can be marginally improved, but he'll never throw a ball like Rodgers, who has a God given gift in that department.

- ability to hit deep balls - don't know if he'll ever improve much. He seems to be able to hit vernon on these from time to time, but rarely anyone else, especially Crabtree. Still trying to figure this one out.

- ability to adjust protection schemes - I think he can improve but I'm skeptical at the same time. On the one hand, he's supposedly very smart, so you'd think he'd be able to develop this skill. On the other hand, he's very robotic/system qb, so that makes me think that unless a coach can call it for him, he's just going to go w/ what was called.

My 2 cents on Alex at the moment.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #103
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
I'd say he's slightly above average. Like I said, he's a good game manager. If you have an all time great defense and a solid line he can be a very good game manager. Hes tough as nails and he's smart, he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions, he's accurate especially in short to medium range, and he's very mobile. Theres a lot to like about him but really at the end of the day you could say all those same things about Trent Dilfer or Brian Griese.

Of course I think he'll be the QB next year, there is no point where I disputed that, especially after todays performance. What I personally don't believe is that he's the long term answer.
spot on my analysis per usual. football fans are so quick to overreact to something - as evidenced here.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #104
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I see a similar problem i see with Sanchez, and this is not a criticism of Smith but rather the play calling. You can't tell the QB to move the ball sans risk of turnover. The whole 2nd half, the desire was to move the ball, but without the risk of a turnover. What happens is you wind up in 3rd and long because the defense figures out you are not throwing deep, stacks the line (or plays the screen) and it's hard to gain yardage. Then the QB has to make a play under difficult circumstances. 1st down screen, 2nd down run, now complete 3rd and 8 with the other team blitzing. It's hard. And like the Jets with Sanchez, my feeling is if you really don't think he can make that throw, then move in a different direction. But if you do, then let him do it occasionally.

Game manager is fine but you can't manage the game so tightly as to avoid any risk. Eventually you become like the soccer team playing for a tie. Against good teams, it makes your margin of error very small.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #105
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
spot on my analysis per usual. football fans are so quick to overreact to something - as evidenced here.

Yeah thats a good way to look at Alex Smith. Heck I had dude rated much lower, so I cant talk too much about the guy. Crow doesnt take good.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: