Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #106
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Alex Smith

Quote:
Despite touchdown passes of 73 and 28 yards to Vernon Davis, Alex Smith earned his fifth-lowest Total QBR score (30.6) of the season against the Giants in the NFC Championship game."Smith was reluctant to let it loose on routes and throws that were not only well designed, but were open," explained NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell. "... He was hesitant and cautious on throws that were clearly defined. Simply put, Smith left a lot of plays on the field against the Giants." Smith's skittishness in the pocket and unwillingness to make "stick throws" down the field continue to dog him on third downs and in the red zone.

ouch
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #107
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
ouch
But thats only due to Harbaughs system hes holding Alex back!!

Notice how quiet its been in here...Alexs fan club took the week off. Remember the guy who said Alex is a better fit for the 9ers then Arod?
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #108
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Alex did not have a good game. He did have 2 td's but overall he played poor.

But to be fair the Giants D held the Falcons to 2 points and the Packers to 20 points (both teams had top 10 passing offenses statistically speaking.) Both Ryan and Rodgers played below expectations. The weather during the Niners/Giants game probably effected both QB's (Eli Manning during the 2nd half wasn't his great self.) Smith didn't play well enough to win but he is not the main culprit for them losing the game.

If you want to shoulder some of the blame to Smith for his performance that's fair. He definately deserves blame. But I guess players like Ryan and even Rodgers get a pass since they are seen as marquee QB's (Ryan obviously less so then Rodgers.)

Last edited by ALBballer : 01-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #109
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

He does a great job throwing the ball to the ground to end a play....he sucks.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #110
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Smith is fine.. If the niners would have won people would have probably praised his performance. Matter of fact is Eli didn't perform any better with much better targets.

like i've mentioned earlier niners only have 3 WR's on the roster for the game. Crabtree(potential bust), Williams(not good), Swain(practice squad player)..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #111
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Smith is fine.. If the niners would have won people would have probably praised his performance. Matter of fact is Eli didn't perform any better with much better targets.

like i've mentioned earlier niners only have 3 WR's on the roster for the game. Crabtree(potential bust), Williams(not good), Swain(practice squad player)..

Eli performed much better than Smith in that game.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #112
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer

How do you figure Eli didn't perform any better? Your team went into a total shell, was afraid to let Smith throw at times, and his overall stats were nowhere near as good if we ant to look at that. That's not fair at all. And Smith's two big plays were on complete and utter embarassing broken coverage by the Giants. Davis lined up outside, running a go route while the CB covering stared at him like he couldn't understand why this big man was running by him.

Smith didn't play bad (look at the game thread and you'll see me praising him) but he wasn't as good at ELi. That/s not true.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #113
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

lets not kid ourselves here - Eli played much better than Alex. Eli made some very difficult throws and completions that sustained key drives for NYG, without those throws SF coasts to the victory.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #114
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
lets not kid ourselves here - Eli played much better than Alex. Eli made some very difficult throws and completions that sustained key drives for NYG, without those throws SF coasts to the victory.
I know ELi is not the greatest QB ever but he's very good, and it amazes me how quick this board is to throw away any good performances he has like they are nothing. saying Smith was just as good is really unfair. Eli took a huge beating and still made a bunch of plays without which the Giants don't even sniff winning that game. Let's not forget the 49ers defense is better than the GIants, i don't see how that is even arguable.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #115
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I know ELi is not the greatest QB ever but he's very good, and it amazes me how quick this board is to throw away any good performances he has like they are nothing. saying Smith was just as good is really unfair. Eli took a huge beating and still made a bunch of plays without which the Giants don't even sniff winning that game. Let's not forget the 49ers defense is better than the GIants, i don't see how that is even arguable.
I'm surprised Eli was never concussed in that game

SF got after him all night. Some of the throws to Cruz, the TD to Mario, and that one scramble heave to Bradshaw late were so timely from Eli. I think he outplayed Alex for sure, but I don't think Alex played that bad, his scrambling kept the NYG defense on its toes because his passing wasn't.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #116
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
I'm surprised Eli was never concussed in that game

SF got after him all night. Some of the throws to Cruz, the TD to Mario, and that one scramble heave to Bradshaw late were so timely from Eli. I think he outplayed Alex for sure, but I don't think Alex played that bad, his scrambling kept the NYG defense on its toes because his passing wasn't.

i didn't think Alex played that bad either, if you were in the thread you know i was arguing with peopel who decided to throw him under the bus at some point. I do think Harbaugh, much like the Jets with Sanchez need to decide if he trusts his QB or not, because i think late in that game he decided he was going to wait for the Giants to make a bad mistake, or for a screen or a run to be broken to get them close enough to win. When you do that, it becomes this self fulfilling prophecy that you can't move the ball. I'm not saying throw it 50 times, but they would run or screen first and second down every time, then do designed roll outs or quick hits. Smith won me over in that game actually, prior to that i was much more critical.

Eli at one point had his pad out of both shoulders, his helmet over his eyes, and looked like everyone had jumped him and beat the hell out of him. Eli is tough, it's funny because we always hear Vick is tough, and Romo is tough, etc. but Eli doesn't get injured when he gets hit like they do. He's deceptively big. When he stands with Cruz they look like father and son sizewise.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #117
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Looking forward to next year which should pretty much answer the question of whether or not he's reached his peak. I don't think he has. We shall see.

It was interesting to see because he started to run a bit more, there was a lack of trust somewhere in that game, either in his ability to make a throw which is 5 steps backwards, or in his receivers which is also odd.

I HATED the play calling during this game, especially at the end. But they had a game plan and stuck with it.

But Alex will be fine.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #118
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Well, it's that time of the year and time for Alex Smith to rape and pillage city after city in the NFL...

20-26, 76.9 completion %, 211 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 125.6 QBR

That's some great production right there
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #119
bigdaddyfunk
I hit open layups

He played fantastic, the play calling got a little vanilla towards the end though. Looking forward to see how he plays throughout the rest of the season.
bigdaddyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #120
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He played against a bad defense. I'm sorry.

Enough Alex Smith bashing, I have Crabtree in FF I hope he continues throwing him the pigskin.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: