Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
PowerGlove
By Any Means
 
PowerGlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta/Toronto
Posts: 9,667
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
pete what are you like 19? How do you not remember this unless I miss a joke or white text.
Yeah you would think everyone 20+ would remember this, regardless of which team they are a fan of.I remember it like it was yesterday....shit was horrible. I dont think I'll ever forget that.


I'm not even going to lie, that was a tough day. three games from the butch davis period really hurt my soul and that was one of them, the others are tommy f*cking maddox raping us in wildcard playoffs of 02 and the collapse against the bears where they scored like two touchdowns with a minute left in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by PowerGlove : 10-14-2011 at 03:45 PM.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,117
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Touchdown Tommy Maddox
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 26,529
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
pete what are you like 19? How do you not remember this unless I miss a joke or white text.

19? Really? Yes GOBB I'm 19.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,117
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
19? Really? Yes GOBB I'm 19.

You mustve been into doughnuts more than football back then to miss Bottlegate.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 26,529
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
You mustve been into doughnuts more than football back then to miss Bottlegate.

Take a nap old man.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,033
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

While I certainly wouldn't have been throwing things if I were there, let's not overreact. What was the most significant injury suffered by those savages throwing plastic bottles? A guy twisted his knee trying to avoid one.

The greater danger to the officials were the Browns fans waiting for them after the game and the fact that they had to have a police escort to get out.

I couldn't help but to feel a little of that maybe they will think twice the next time they completely f#ck over the Browns in Cleveland.

That was a very blatant f#ck over, too... They didn't even try to hide it. Reviewing something that happened two plays ago? Completely against the rules and it cost the team a playoff spot.


Also, this just in... LeBron got off light. Then again, this just goes to show how much more this city cares about football than basketball.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,117
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
While I certainly wouldn't have been throwing things if I were there, let's not overreact. What was the most significant injury suffered by those savages throwing plastic bottles? A guy twisted his knee trying to avoid one.

The greater danger to the officials were the Browns fans waiting for them after the game and the fact that they had to have a police escort to get out.

I couldn't help but to feel a little of that maybe they will think twice the next time they completely f#ck over the Browns in Cleveland.

That was a very blatant f#ck over, too... They didn't even try to hide it. Reviewing something that happened two plays ago? Completely against the rules and it cost the team a playoff spot.


Also, this just in... LeBron got off light. Then again, this just goes to show how much more this city cares about football than basketball.

So we're overreacting at fans launching bottles from all over the stadium at not just the zebras but players and other people on the field?

Its like shooting into a crowd of people and not hitting a single person. No one got hit and the only person that was hurt was the guy who twisted an ankle trying to duck and dodge shots. The bigger travesty was the crowd that was targetted? 2 of the guys robbed the shooter earlier in the day of lots of cash.

Stop it.

If this was an act to show how much the fans love the Browns? Then the cheers as Irvin laid on the tarp was too. The batteries thrown at J.D Drew was too.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #23
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,033
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So we're overreacting at fans launching bottles from all over the stadium at not just the zebras but players and other people on the field?

Its like shooting into a crowd of people and not hitting a single person. No one got hit and the only person that was hurt was the guy who twisted an ankle trying to duck and dodge shots. The bigger travesty was the crowd that was targetted? 2 of the guys robbed the shooter earlier in the day of lots of cash.

Stop it.

If this was an act to show how much the fans love the Browns? Then the cheers as Irvin laid on the tarp was too. The batteries thrown at J.D Drew was too.
We are comparing throwing plastic bottles to shooting bullets into a crowd, now? Or, cheering that a guy may have suffered a spinal cord injury?

Not the same.

In this instance, the officials' own stupidity led to the situation. It wasn't just the blatant cheating, but the failure to communicate anything with the crowd. The officials completely lost control of the situation because of their indecisiveness. They wandered around the field for 10 minutes while things got more and more out-of-hand. That was a clinic in how NOT to officiate a game or a tense situation like that.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #24
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,117
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
We are comparing throwing plastic bottles to shooting bullets into a crowd, now? Or, cheering that a guy may have suffered a spinal cord injury?

Not the same.

In this instance, the officials' own stupidity led to the situation. It wasn't just the blatant cheating, but the failure to communicate anything with the crowd. The officials completely lost control of the situation because of their indecisiveness.

The point is simple tho, you're giving the fans behavior a pass. And you're saying their behavior shows how loyal, dedicated they are to the Browns and football. Nothing negative about their behavior at all. It just boggles my mind.

We should focus on why they reacted that way and ignore the fact the way they acted was sad? And Lebron got off light? Is that to say fans could have thrown things at him and it would be justified by you based on how he handled himself that offseason? Just curious as getting off light implies and would you have brushed off whatever reaction fans would have had if it was excessive?

Something is not adding up. You're a fan that loves high character guys. Quality and so forth. But accept the fans behavior? I know I know it cost the Browns a playoff spot. Let me lighten up on the Browns fans and give them a pass here.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #25
DuMa
Canned
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23,780
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So thats how you get sports news? Youtube?
how is this sports news new so i can read about it in my news outlet? its 10 years old. forgive me if i dont search for 10 year old articles.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #26
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,033
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
The point is simple tho, you're giving the fans behavior a pass. And you're saying their behavior shows how loyal, dedicated they are to the Browns and football. Nothing negative about their behavior at all. It just boggles my mind.

I made it a point to say that I would never toss a bottle or partake in such activity. I thought that was sufficient in showing that I don't condone such behavior, in any circumstance. But, since it obviously wasn't, I will state the obvious...

I don't condone such behavior in any instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
We should focus on why they reacted that way and ignore the fact the way they acted was sad? And Lebron got off light? Is that to say fans could have thrown things at him and it would be justified by you based on how he handled himself that offseason? Just curious as getting off light implies and would you have brushed off whatever reaction fans would have had if it was excessive?
A. I was joking about the LeBron thing. Sarcasm doesn't always translate well on the Internet. But, if I need to point out the obvious in this as well, I will... I'm glad that the fans at The Q didn't shower LeBron with plastic bottles.

B. As for focusing this on the fans' reaction, I don't think it is necessary. I think we will all agree that the fans shouldn't throw things on the field. The more interesting conversation, to me, is what actually transpired on the field that led up to that reaction. That is why I posted this in the first place... Not to have several pages of fan morality lessons.

We can all agree that the fan reaction was way over-the-top... Now, can we talk about what actually happened that led to it? Or, is that somehow off-limits in this whole thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Something is not adding up. You're a fan that loves high character guys. Quality and so forth. But accept the fans behavior? I know I know it cost the Browns a playoff spot. Let me lighten up on the Browns fans and give them a pass here.
Read above. I never condoned the behavior. In fact, I did the opposite. It was embarrassing to Cleveland fans. That doesn't mean that there wasn't a misguided part of me who, at the time, was thinking, "next time, don't f#ck us over so obviously."

I think that was a natural emotional reaction for any fan of any team in a position like that. However, I don't condone that behavior. Never did.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-14-2011 at 06:50 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,117
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
how is this sports news new so i can read about it in my news outlet? its 10 years old. forgive me if i dont search for 10 year old articles.

I dont understand your post. Are you a foreigner by any chance?

Lets go back to your initial post. How you didnt see this incident is strange when it was plastered on sports channels when it happened. So I guess tv, cable werent at your fingertips. Just hearsay from peers?

"Yo did you hear about what happened at the Browns game?"

Quote:
We can all agree that the fan reaction was way over-the-top... Now, can we talk about what actually happened that led to it? Or, is that somehow off-limits in this whole thing?

Off limits. I was just breaking your balls a bit, thats all.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
Juvenile
Serious playground baller
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 441
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

I don't think such behaviour as shown by the Browns fans is ever appropriate.

But then, I am so enraged by those refs, that I feel the urge to get in their face, yell at them and make them feel so incompetent, that they cry like little bitches. That was´by far the worst call I have ever seen, just because the replay rules are so obviously violated by it.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,121
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

That was a very blatant f#ck over, too... They didn't even try to hide it. Reviewing something that happened two plays ago? Completely against the rules and it cost the team a playoff spot.

When you say this are you saying that the refs made the call with the thought of "hey let's **** over the Browns right now, we don't want them in the playoffs"? To me it seems like they panicked because they were in a situation where their buzzer with the replay booth malfunctioned and they didn't know how to handle the situation with the play already happening. I don't think they specifically wanted to screw the team over, they just choked in the worst manner possible. Not really excusable since they get paid to know the rules and make the right call though.

I'm assuming it was never elaborated after the fact how exactly their equipment malfunctioned, but it puts them in a situation where they don't know what to do because they felt the play was asking to be reviewed before the other play actually happened. Feel bad for the Browns, though. No game should ever be put in that kind of situation.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #30
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,033
Default Re: Bottlegate in Cleveland: Officials pelted after worst call in NFL history

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
When you say this are you saying that the refs made the call with the thought of "hey let's **** over the Browns right now, we don't want them in the playoffs"? To me it seems like they panicked because they were in a situation where their buzzer with the replay booth malfunctioned and they didn't know how to handle the situation with the play already happening. I don't think they specifically wanted to screw the team over, they just choked in the worst manner possible. Not really excusable since they get paid to know the rules and make the right call though.

I'm assuming it was never elaborated after the fact how exactly their equipment malfunctioned, but it puts them in a situation where they don't know what to do because they felt the play was asking to be reviewed before the other play actually happened. Feel bad for the Browns, though. No game should ever be put in that kind of situation.
No, I don't think it was a personal thing by the officials against the Browns. That doesn't make it any less egregious, though. The official who claims that he was buzzed before the next play ran is clearly seen in the replay calling the spiked ball incomplete. If he had been buzzed, don't you think he would have refrained from officiating the next play? Also, there is a natural reaction that a person has when something is buzzing, just like if a cell phone starts going off... You look down and stop whatever you are doing. He did none of that and he was clearly visible on the replay.

I think that he felt like maybe they had missed the call and that getting it right was more important than following the very specific rules in this situation, so he claimed that his equipment malfunctioned when, in fact, he wasn't buzzed until after the next play, if at all. I also think it is distinctly possible that he was never buzzed at all and, after giving it 30 seconds or so of thinking, he decided that the play should have been reviewed. The fact that another play was run didn't enter into his thinking.

I don't think it was ever really explored by the NFL in detail... Or, they never released what exactly happened if they did investigate it. Fact is, there is nothing they can say or do to make it right. Another play was run and the referee who claims he was buzzed officiated the next play as if nothing was out of the ordinary. That's it... End of story.

You can't go back two plays.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy