Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

Default (ESPN) Kobe ranked as the Number 7 player in the NBA (Discuss)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...nk-6-10-debate

Kobe Bryant at No. 7: Too high, too low or just right?

Quote:
Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: Just right. It's nearly impossible to separate Kobe's contributions from the radioactive debate that surrounds him, but let's try. Last season, Bryant rebounded from an injury-riddled 2009-10 season to rank fifth in PER and sixth in both value added and estimated wins added. So while I might not buy the clutch mythology, Kobe's overall game as the NBA's highest-usage player last season was pretty remarkable.

Quote:
Chad Ford, ESPN.com: Too high. Kobe's had remarkable staying power for a player who has 15 seasons under his belt. But at 33, the odds are piling up against him being an elite player much longer. Can't justify No. 7 when the reigning MVP is just 23 years old and sitting at No. 8.

Quote:
David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: Just right. Considering his age and mileage, this is simply phenomenal. At times I think Kobe is the best player in the game. But we're ranking guys on the overall, not just at some moments. The Kobe of today takes lots of plays off, on both ends of the floor. It's smart for him and his team because it buys him minutes in June, but it means there are six guys better than him now in the NBA over the entire season.

I had Kobe at 5 still. Kobe's age is not as much as a factor as the miles he has on him. But I think the rest so far Kobe has had will help him have one or two more great seasons. If the NBA comes back in Jan. watch for Kobe to bring his game hard every night...I see the Lakers getting a *title just like the Spurs in 99.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Re: (ESPN) Kobe ranked as the Number 7 player in the NBA (Discuss)

7 is not a bad spot. Only arguable guy I have him over is Paul, but Paul did have a great season last year. I don't have him over Dirk, LBJ, Wade, Dwight and Durant. Those guys had better seasons than Kobe. But I agree, the rest he will have should help a lot. He played really banged up this past year.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
7 is not a bad spot. Only arguable guy I have him over is Paul, but Paul did have a great season last year. I don't have him over Dirk, LBJ, Wade, Dwight and Durant. Those guys had better seasons than Kobe. But I agree, the rest he will have should help a lot. He played really banged up this past year.

I still got Kobe over Durant at the moment.
Of course all can change as soon as we see the play again.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
with malice
I hit open 5-footers

I am fine with #7. If it were my list, I'd probably have him at 6... but I'm fine with 7.
Consider where he is in his career, and it's amazing. Have a look at pretty much any other guy considered top ten all time, and they weren't achieving at the same level at this point in their respective careers (if they were still playing at all).
with malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

Any ranking list that doesn't have Dirk Nowitzki at the top of it is bogus. He is the reigning Finals MVP, and is a player that no team in the league has a solution for as of right now.

I'm a die hard Kobe fan so its hard for me to give Dirk his props but he earned them. After him, I would put Howard at no. 2. (three time defensive POY deserves props too) Kobe at 3.

1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Dwight Howard
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Carmelo Anthony

That's my top 5.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
Any ranking list that doesn't have Dirk Nowitzki at the top of it is bogus. He is the reigning Finals MVP, and is a player that no team in the league has a solution for as of right now.

I'm a die hard Kobe fan so its hard for me to give Dirk his props but he earned them. After him, I would put Howard at no. 2. (three time defensive POY deserves props too) Kobe at 3.

1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Dwight Howard
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Carmelo Anthony

That's my top 5.

Honestly thats not a bad list (although it needs lebron). This whole season we have seen player statistics go down because of either age, or they're on a team with 3 superstars sharing the ball (miami). It could have gone either way this season. Dirk did have an amazing year. hard to go up against the finals mvp.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
with malice
I hit open 5-footers

I agree. I would have LeBron at #2. Kobe'd either be 5 or 6/7 for me. Honestly, given where he is in his career, #7 is phenomenal. Jordan was no-where near top ten for seasons 13-15.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

Absolute joke, Kobe is top3 no question. Until Howard, Durant, Rose, or even Lebron can show that they can go all the way in the playoffs and Finals it's Kobe and Wade as interchangeable 1 and 2 in my book.

Lebron/Dwight/Rose/Durant all tied for 3rd after that.
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
with malice
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangleoffense
Absolute joke, Kobe is top3 no question. Until Howard, Durant, Rose, or even Lebron can show that they can go all the way in the playoffs and Finals it's Kobe and Wade as interchangeable 1 and 2 in my book.

Lebron/Dwight/Rose/Durant all tied for 3rd after that.
Well, to be fair, it's not like either Kobe or Wade went all the way alone.

Put it another way. You're starting a team next season, who do you pick: Kobe or LeBron/Dwight?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
triangleoffense
Lakers 14-15 go

Quote:
Originally Posted by with malice
Well, to be fair, it's not like either Kobe or Wade went all the way alone.

Put it another way. You're starting a team next season, who do you pick: Kobe or LeBron/Dwight?
Nobody wins a championship alone but to lose on a team with another top3 player including yourself and also another top15 player and top5-7 at that position is unexcusable imo. Especially when you've already had a track record of preforming poorly in the finals.

I think its fair to say that the Heat debacle last summer and earlier in June absolutely ruined Jame's legacy. Harsh words I know but the Heat loss to the Mavs will go down as one of the biggest chokes in all of professional sports, much less in the NBA. I don't remember hearing a single analyst picking the Mavs. This is all not mentioning the unprecedented mashup of talent that occured last June.
triangleoffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
with malice
I hit open 5-footers

To say "ruined" is more than just a lil' premature. He's not even 27 yet. And I think selling the loss in the Finals as a "choke" is being a bit disrespectful to the Mavs, and Dirk in particular. We have to keep it all in perspective: remember what those same Mavs did to our Lakers earlier in their run.

Right at the moment, I'd have Dirk at #1... but that's almost entirely based upon his incredible playoff run.
This might be a little sacrilegious, but if I was starting a new franchise and got to pick any player to build around, I'd be selecting Dwight or LeBron...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: