Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

if he isn't Peyton Manning his first year...BUST

The amounts of hype this dude is getting is unlike anything I have ever seen...

and most of YOU in here are guilty of it...


the shitty part about it is that with the exception of maybe 2-3 of you...you are only going off what what everyone else is saying and not your own opinion, because we both know damn well you aren't watching Stanford games every week.


I hope this dude Ryan Leafs out...there is NO SURE THING in the draft...IMPOSSIBLE...and QBs bust higher than any other position...


let's look at some of the QBs that went top-5 recently:

2010:
1st: Sam Bradford

2009:
5th: Marc Sanchez

2008:
3rd: Matt Ryan

2007:
1st: Jamarcus Russell

2006:
3rd: Vince Young

2005:
1st: Alex Smith

2004:
1st: Eli Manning
4th: Phillp Rivers

2003:
1st: Carson Palmer

2002:
1st: David Carr
3rd: Joey Harrington


2001:
1st: Mike Vick

2000:
none

1999:
1st: Tim Couch
2nd: Donovan McNabb
3rd: Akili Smith

1998:
1st: Peyton Manning
2nd: Ryan Leaf


about 50% bust looks like...too early on Sanchez I think

yet all of you are 100% sure that Luck is already a first ballot HOFer...

none of you learn
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

and just noticed only two QBs in those names above have a ring...both Mannings
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST
 
Theoo's Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buddy Ball
Posts: 2,919
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Tim tebow begs to differ..
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,742
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

You forgot to list Stafford.




I actually DO watch a few Stanford games being a fan of a team from the Pac 12. And he is pretty solid, but I think a LOT of his success came from being under Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh is a magician when it comes to coaching QBs. Look at what he's done so far with Alex Smith in SF. Look at what he did with Josh Johnson at Univ of San Diego. Harbaugh is magic at coaching up QBs.

With all of that said, Luck IS still the best QB prospect to come out since Peyton. I wouldn't go as far to say he's the best QB prospect since Elway like many are saying. But he is good and I doubt he busts unless he's injured early on or unless he winds up in an AWFUL situation (sucky team with no talent/no OL, new head coach who doesn't know what he's doing, etc).
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,742
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

I think the most overhyped college football player ever has to be Reggie Bush. People were saying he was the next GALE FREAKIN' SAYERS. He's nothing more than a glorified punt returner and scat back.

People were outraged when the Texans announced they'd draft Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush. I remember people harshly criticizing Houston for passing on such a once-in-a-lifetime RB.

People hyped Reggie Bush up so much. Luck's hype is much more deserving than Reggie's ever was.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
You forgot to list Stafford.




I actually DO watch a few Stanford games being a fan of a team from the Pac 12. And he is pretty solid, but I think a LOT of his success came from being under Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh is a magician when it comes to coaching QBs. Look at what he's done so far with Alex Smith in SF. Look at what he did with Josh Johnson at Univ of San Diego. Harbaugh is magic at coaching up QBs.

With all of that said, Luck IS still the best QB prospect to come out since Peyton. I wouldn't go as far to say he's the best QB prospect since Elway like many are saying. But he is good and I doubt he busts unless he's injured early on or unless he winds up in an AWFUL situation (sucky team with no talent/no OL, new head coach who doesn't know what he's doing, etc).
really why is that?...just because everyone says so?

is he more accurate than Bradford?...I seriously doubt it

what makes him the greatest prospect ever?...tell me
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I think the most overhyped college football player ever has to be Reggie Bush. People were saying he was the next GALE FREAKIN' SAYERS. He's nothing more than a glorified punt returner and scat back.

People were outraged when the Texans announced they'd draft Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush. I remember people harshly criticizing Houston for passing on such a once-in-a-lifetime RB.

People hyped Reggie Bush up so much. Luck's hype is much more deserving than Reggie's ever was.
That is yet to be seen obviously

Luck has so much to live up to it is unreal...there is no way he going to be able to live up to all this.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,071
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Hype is being projected as a #1 pick in the 2009 draft. Having that QB decide to stay in school and be projected as the #1 pick in 2010. After 3gms into his college season going down for the entire season. Working out and being the #1 pick in the 2010 NFL draft. So basically your 2009 college season + workout = you are a #1 pick.

I agree QBs bust higher than any other position. Why is this QB not on the road to that destination? Not only that his 2nd year he is injured, has a passer rating of 72, completion % of 52. And in the top 10 QB lists some people made here he was honorable mentioned. Thats hype.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,742
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
really why is that?...just because everyone says so?

is he more accurate than Bradford?...I seriously doubt it

what makes him the greatest prospect ever?...tell me

I could list you 20 reasons why Luck is one of the best QB prospects since Peyton, but they wouldn't matter because your boy Bradford didn't receive as much hype/love coming out of college as Luck is, and that bothers you, and that's why you started this thread. And here I was thinking maybe you were having a non-homer discussion that had nothing to do with OU/Dallas.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I could list you 20 reasons why Luck is one of the best QB prospects since Peyton, but they wouldn't matter because your boy Bradford didn't receive as much hype/love coming out of college as Luck is, and that bothers you, and that's why you started this thread. And here I was thinking maybe you were having a non-homer discussion that had nothing to do with OU/Dallas.
you could?

just name 5 reasons....please

or you know what...just 3 would be good
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,742
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
you could?

just name 5 reasons....please

or you know what...just 3 would be good

Yes, I could. But why bother? You're just going to dispute them, turn it into "Bradford this, Bradford that," and then that'll be that.


But since you'll just keep coming back with "Please, give me a few reasons," I'll entertain you, and give you more than just three:

He's huge for a QB, he has incredible arm strength and oustanding accuracy, he is super athletic and very tough. From the games I've seen, he's already like Peyton Manning at the LOS before the snap, calling out coverages and picking up blitzes/schemes. His football IQ SEEMS to be very high. ESPN Gameday did a thing on his intelligence sometime last year and it was very impressive. He's very quick in his decision making and has a lightning-fast release.

I could keep going on. Now I never said you were wrong. ANY QB can bust. But he is the best PROSPECT since Peyton, and all of his hype is well-deserved.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
irondarts
.
 
irondarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,436
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

1. Elite Arm Strength (Unlike Bradford)
2. Great Size
3. Great mobility for a QB his size (Unlike Carr, Leaf)
4. Great Athleticism (Unlike Leaf, Russell)
5. Extremely Accurate (Unlike Carr, Harrington, Alex Smith, Vince Young)
6. Can read defenses and coverages at the LOS
7. Mastered Stanfords Pro-Style offense
8. Great football IQ (Unlike Russell, Young)
9. Doesn't make stupid plays (Unlike Young, Russel, Carr, Leaf)
10. Extremely calm in the pocket, has excellent pocket presence (Unlike Carr, Harrington, Leaf, alex Smith)
11. Durable (Unlike Bradford, Leaf, etc)
12. Makes all his reads and his check downs, doesn't get flustered
13. Great leader (Unlike Russel, Young, Leaf)
14. Ability to change play at LOS
15. Extremely smart, and has a great work ethic (Unlike Russel, Leaf, Young, Carr, Harrington).

etc, etc, etc.

And yes, I live in the West and watch a lot of Stanford games.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
Yes, I could. But why bother? You're just going to dispute them, turn it into "Bradford this, Bradford that," and then that'll be that.


But since you'll just keep coming back with "Please, give me a few reasons," I'll entertain you, and give you more than just three:

He's huge for a QB, he has incredible arm strength and oustanding accuracy, he is super athletic and very tough. From the games I've seen, he's already like Peyton Manning at the LOS before the snap, calling out coverages and picking up blitzes/schemes. His football IQ SEEMS to be very high. ESPN Gameday did a thing on his intelligence sometime last year and it was very impressive. He's very quick in his decision making and has a lightning-fast release.

I could keep going on. Now I never said you were wrong. ANY QB can bust. But he is the best PROSPECT since Peyton, and all of his hype is well-deserved.
okay I won't mention Bradford at all...

size means little here...Cam is bigger...Jamarcus is bigger...a QB needs to be tall but what monster QBs have won a ring?...his size shouldn't give him hype

His football IQ matters of course...does this mean he will score higher on the wonderlic than anyone else?...what if he doesn't???...is that false hype as well?...do you think that all of those busts I listed there had low football IQs?


so he is big and smart...anything else that makes this particular guy a sure deal or os that it?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 11,226
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
1. Elite Arm Strength (Unlike Bradford)
2. Great Size
3. Great mobility for a QB his size (Unlike Carr, Leaf)
4. Great Athleticism (Unlike Leaf, Russell)
5. Extremely Accurate (Unlike Carr, Harrington, Alex Smith, Vince Young)
6. Can read defenses and coverages at the LOS
7. Mastered Stanfords Pro-Style offense
8. Great football IQ (Unlike Russell, Young)
9. Doesn't make stupid plays (Unlike Young, Russel, Carr, Leaf)
10. Extremely calm in the pocket, has excellent pocket presence (Unlike Carr, Harrington, Leaf, alex Smith)
11. Durable (Unlike Bradford, Leaf, etc)
12. Makes all his reads and his check downs, doesn't get flustered
13. Great leader (Unlike Russel, Young, Leaf)
14. Ability to change play at LOS
15. Extremely smart, and has a great work ethic (Unlike Russel, Leaf, Young, Carr, Harrington).

etc, etc, etc.

And yes, I live in the West and watch a lot of Stanford games.
all of things you listed there could also have "LIKE RUSSELL, LIKE YOUNG...etc"

so you are in the camp that thinks he is a sure deal?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
irondarts
.
 
irondarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,436
Default Re: it is official...Luck is the most overhyped college player EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
all of things you listed there could also have "LIKE RUSSELL, LIKE YOUNG...etc"

so you are in the camp that thinks he is a sure deal?
I don't think any QB prospect is a sure thing, it's too hard to say. However, I do believe he is the best QB prospect in a long time and has a great chance of being an elite QB in the NFL, and I think he's the most NFL ready QB since Manning as well.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy