Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Default coaching staff?

So I guess Horny's in? Top assistant? Could bring in Natt? Karl wants in. He'd be welcome if he wants to coach the bigs. Maybe he could get Stockton to come too. Chiesa(sp?) is available I think too. Jeff Malone,l Brown Bear and Eisley all coach too. I'm sure others. I hope they don't go with Jeff Malone or Eisley. Brown Bear was close with Karl. I'd hire Mussleman personally to coach some D. Move Layden back to the front office.

I guess AK is gone too if he and Deron went at it like has been reported?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Default Re: coaching staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
So I guess Horny's in? Top assistant? Could bring in Natt? Karl wants in. He'd be welcome if he wants to coach the bigs. Maybe he could get Stockton to come too. Chiesa(sp?) is available I think too. Jeff Malone,l Brown Bear and Eisley all coach too. I'm sure others. I hope they don't go with Jeff Malone or Eisley. Brown Bear was close with Karl. I'd hire Mussleman personally to coach some D. Move Layden back to the front office.

I guess AK is gone too if he and Deron went at it like has been reported?
I'd bring in Karl too. He said all that have to do is call him and he'll be there, that's an offer you don't refuse in my mind. If Horny gets an assistant job, then maybe i'd hire another assistant who's had some experience (Like Mussleman).

Layden did a shit job in charge of NY, but he'd be working under O'Connor i'm assuming, so that wouldn't bother me. Or he can go back to scouting or something.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
He said all that have to do is call him and he'll be there, that's an offer you don't refuse in my mind.

Yeah but it sounds like they've been refusing him since he retired. I'd have at least had him in camp working with guys in the fall. He also thinks he's a headman so who knows if he'd be in as a lowly assistant?

Quote:
If Horny gets an assistant job, then maybe i'd hire another assistant who's had some experience (Like Mussleman).

Could use some new blood after all this time. Bring in some fresh ideas.

Quote:
Layden did a shit job in charge of NY, but he'd be working under O'Connor i'm assuming, so that wouldn't bother me. Or he can go back to scouting or something.

He could definitely be better utilized there. The problem in NY was that money was no object and it causes people to do stupid things. Happened with Isiah and Larry Brown too. Jazz paying luxury tax has been a bad experiment too for that matter.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Could use some new blood after all this time. Bring in some fresh ideas.
If they did hire someone new, you'd have to think there may be some discomfort in being the "outsider" of the coaching staff. Seemingly everyone they get involved in the organization has had a previous association with the club.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

That's why I mentioned mostly former Jazz players. Mussleman is old school and would fit in though and he knows something about D which I'm not sure anyone else on the staff does. Layden is being called the lead assistant. Not convinced he's qualified.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

I really hope Ty Corbin can pick-up a defensive minded assistant as a head coach, someone like Tom Thibodeau, then again Thibs looks like he could be a great coach for quite a while with his defense.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Danny Ainge's son Austin is the head coach of the Maine Red Claws of the D-League.

“I love the game and the team atmosphere,” Ainge said. “It’s fun to be with a group of guys trying to accomplish a goal.

“There is stress, pressure, joy, failure and disappointment — all the emotions I don’t think you don’t feel quite as intensely as in a regular job.”

Ainge is just 27 and was named Maine's head coach in 2009.

“I feel like I’m learning a lot,” Ainge said. “I get a chance to coach multiple teams — different teams — during a season because of all the roster fluctuations.

"I coach small ball. I coach big guys. I coach slow. I coach fast. You learn to adapt to your personnel. It’s a great environment for a young coach.”

Former Utah Jazz assistant Gordon Chiesa is the NBA’s mentor for D-League coaches.

Ainge is “learning his craft and doing a good job,” Chiesa said. “He’s what I call a new-wave communicator.

“When you’re 30, you communicate with players differently than older coaches, and that’s a positive.

“He’s what the D-League is all about.”

Found out where Chiesa has been if they want to bring him back.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Looks like Krystkowiak might be the new Utes head man. Another guy the Jazz could have looked at. He played for the Jazz. Has been a head man in the league and could help with Favors. I'm guessing he's behind Mitchell in NJ.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
have so many people I’ve gotten involved. I’ve got Donnie Walsh, Billy King, Kevin O’Connor, and David Kahn, a whole bunch of guys

This is from Larry Brown. Maybe Kevin could talk him into being the head assistant and finally teaching some D. They need someone with experience other than Layden next to Corbin that's for sure. Dave Fredman is another guy still with the Jazz that has been an assistant with them I just saw.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

I think Larry would be a great fit, but the problem is that he's really just a short term coach, guy is 68, and has the track record to be a short term coach for a lot of teams.

Mind posting a link to where you got that from?
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._brown/?page=2

Quote:
I think Larry would be a great fit, but the problem is that he's really just a short term coach, guy is 68, and has the track record to be a short term coach for a lot of teams.

If Larry wants to help I don't see it as a problem. Rather he just came to the summer league(assuming there is one?) and/or Fall camp he would have a lot to offer. I'll take a little of his defensive knowledge over Layden's anyday.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsja...tants.html.csp

Good to hear that he wants more than one guy.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Corbin's probably waiting til after draft. He has names in mind and had a meeting with one.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

The Jazz might hire as many as two new assistants, and could add a development coach. The team is still going through the hiring process, though, and the draft takes precedence.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
George Karl is the latest in that long line of disillusion-ists. Three days ago, reveals a source, the Nuggets head coach, whose opulent contract was extended several months ago, fired top assistant Adrian Dantley
Quote:
. OK, fired might not be the correct word. Karl’s aide for eight seasons was not signed past this month. One way or the other, his immediate superior, theoretical friend and throat cancer survivor, who you’d think might have accrued approximate compassion for other peoples’ plights during his harrowing ordeal, did not notify Dantley he was done until the majority of jobs throughout the NBA were filled or promised. And, oh, yeah, with a league lockout looming a week away. New York Post

Had friction occurred in Dantley’s case? Not as far as the Hall of Fame forward is concerned. Karl obviously felt differently about a quandary that surfaced during the season. Without Dantley’s knowledge, either one or two lower-level assistants went to Karl and (hoping to get more exposure, I presume) asked to sit on the bench instead of behind it; league law allows three up front. New York Post

Karl alerted Dantley to the request and mentioned a possible rotation, yet never demanded it or set it in motion. Not looking to create any waves, A.D. shifted one row back without being ordered to. While the move drew little, if any, attention in Denver, the league’s coaches took notice of Dantley’s apparent demotion and wondered why Karl would do him like that. After all, this was the man who was put in charge of the Nuggets for the final 13 games (seven wins) of the 2009-2010 season and their first-round playoff series (2-4) against the depleted Jazz. The guy who took a beating for him when Karl’s cancer treatments made it impossible to eat, much less go to work. New York Post

In late May, Karl told Dantley he was thinking about making a change. “You didn’t look happy this season,” he told him, raising the back-of-the-bus, er, in-back-of-the-bench situation. “I’m fine. It didn’t bother me to sit there,” Dantley said. “I like being here. I want to stay.” Karl pledged to give him the word within the next couple of days. Despite being around each other on at least two occasions after that, Karl kept Dantley in the dark for more than three weeks. In a subsequent meeting with his retained assistants, Karl told them, “A.D.’s firing was your fault.” New York Post

I was wondering why he was sitting behind this year. Jazz do need a lead assistant. Layden isn't qualified. Couldn't ask for anyone better to work with the young bigs on post moves. He's more qualified than the Mailman.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 06-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: