Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #31
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Phillip Rivers overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Checkmate.

Because the Giants have never had to deal with injuries?

Please remember that Rivers plays in the AFC west which is the weakest division in football in great weather for the most part. Eli plays in the toughest division in football with a bad weather stadium.

Again, this thing called perspective.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #32
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Please remember that Rivers plays in the AFC west which is the weakest division in football in great weather for the most part. Eli plays in the toughest division in football with a bad weather stadium.

Speaking of that, the Giants have been leveled with injuries this year on both sides of the ball and are winning the division right now (Cowboys and Eagles will end up winning in my opinion though).

Honestly though, we all have differing opinions, so it doesn't matter, it just matters around your perception, mine is the fact that I think Phillip is overrated, he's not an elite QB right now. Really good, but not elite right now.

Last edited by UtahJazzFan88 : 10-23-2011 at 08:41 PM.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #33
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

These excuses are laughable. Rivers teammates are too good, Eli's sucks. River's has perfect weather, Eli doesn't. Rivers is in the worst division, Eli's in the hardest.

Rivers put up a phenomenal season with Patrick Crayton, Seri Ajiroutu and Legadu Naanee getting major playing time. But... but ... but, he has a fall of fame RB and TE to bail him out...

The NFC West is the worst division of football. That is indisputable. Give me a break with that bologna. The NFC East sucked last year as well. I would easily take the AFC North and NFC North over them last year as well as this year. AFC East was better than them last year. Probably NFC South too.

But continue on with the excuses, it makes for good comedy.

Edit: Sucked is a little strong on 2nd glance but my point remains.

Last edited by GatorKid117 : 10-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #34
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
These excuses are laughable. Rivers teammates are too good, Eli's sucks. River's has perfect weather, Eli doesn't. Rivers is in the worst division, Eli's in the hardest.

Rivers put up a phenomenal season with Patrick Crayton, Seri Ajiroutu and Legadu Naanee getting major playing time. But... but ... but, he has a fall of fame RB and TE to bail him out...

The NFC West is the worst division of football. That is indisputable. Give me a break with that bologna. The NFC East sucked last year as well. I would easily take the AFC North and NFC North over them last year as well as this year. AFC East was better than them last year. Probably NFC South too.

Checkmate again.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

When's the last time an AFC west team other than the Chargers won a playoff game? If I recall, the Seahawks beat the defending champs Saints last year. The AFC has had like 2 teams besides the Chargers that have even been above .500 the last 5 years. When is the last time an AFC west team went to a Super Bowl? Didn't the Cardinals make the Super Bowl a few years ago?

The Charges had the number 1 offense AND number 1 defense last year, and they still couldn't even make the playoffs.

And the NFC East sucked so bad last year that the Giants went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #36
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
When's the last time an AFC west team other than the Chargers won a playoff game? If I recall, the Seahawks beat the defending champs Saints last year. The AFC has had like 2 teams besides the Chargers that have even been above .500 the last 5 years. When is the last time an AFC west team went to a Super Bowl? Didn't the Cardinals make the Super Bowl a few years ago?

The Charges had the number 1 offense AND number 1 defense last year, and they still couldn't even make the playoffs.

And the NFC East sucked so bad last year that the Giants went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.

So you really think the NFC West was better?

And so did the Bucs. 2 teams made it to the PO in that division. So obviously NFC South > NFC East then.

This is all moot though because this has nothing to do with Philip Rivers. All it is is excuse making. It's cool, I get it, your an Eli fan and you want to feel like you got the better player. But some of these responses are just ridiculous.

But just for fun, please pick out River's #s against his conference the past 3 years against 6 other games since your making such a big deal about it.

Last year
A: 6 games 61% 11 TD 4 INT 1781 yards
B: 6 games 65% 11 TD 6 INT 1711 yards

A: 6 games 66% 9 TD 2 INT 1505 yards
B: 6 games 62% 12 TD 4 INT 1938 yards

Rivers went 4-0 against the "best conference in the NFL" this year as well.

A: 6 games 63% 12 TD 3 INT 1396
B: 6 games 66% 13 TD 6 INT 1640

Can you clearly tell the difference between the two? Are his numbers inflated? I don't see it, help me out here.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #37
Sarcastic

Quote:
So you really think the NFC West was better?

And so did the Bucs. 2 teams made it to the PO in that division. So obviously NFC South > NFC East then.

This is all moot though because this has nothing to do with Philip Rivers. All it is is excuse making. It's cool, I get it, your an Eli fan and you want to feel like you got the better player. But some of these responses are just ridiculous.

But just for fun, please pick out River's #s against his conference the past 3 years against 6 other games since your making such a big deal about it.

Last year
A: 6 games 61% 11 TD 4 INT 1781 yards
B: 6 games 65% 11 TD 6 INT 1711 yards

A: 6 games 66% 9 TD 2 INT 1505 yards
B: 6 games 62% 12 TD 4 INT 1938 yards

Rivers went 4-0 against the "best conference in the NFL" this year as well.

A: 6 games 63% 12 TD 3 INT 1396
B: 6 games 66% 13 TD 6 INT 1640

Can you clearly tell the difference between the two? Are his numbers inflated? I don't see it, help me out here.

The argument I ORIGINALLY made was that Rivers' stats are not that much better than Eli's. I never made any statement as to who is better. Of course making any statement that is pro-Eli quickly gets people's panties in a bunch. As to who I actually think is the better quarterback? I think Rivers is better, but not by much.

Clearly both the NFC west & AFC west are both shit divisions. If you think playing in Dallas, Washington, and Philly every year is comparable to playing in Dallas, Oakland, and KC then I don't know what else to say.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #38
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
The argument I ORIGINALLY made was that Rivers' stats are not that much better than Eli's. I never made any statement as to who is better. Of course making any statement that is pro-Eli quickly gets people's panties in a bunch. As to who I actually think is the better quarterback? I think Rivers is better, but not by much.

Clearly both the NFC west & AFC west are both shit divisions. If you think playing in Dallas, Washington, and Philly every year is comparable to playing in Dallas, Oakland, and KC then I don't know what else to say.

Lets be real here, your ridiculous excuses are what got people's "panties in a bunch". You were downplaying his accomplishments to make Eli look better but your reasons were bogus.

So did you see a difference? I didn't think so.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #39
Sarcastic

Quote:
Lets be real here, your ridiculous excuses are what got people's "panties in a bunch". You were downplaying his accomplishments to make Eli look better but your reasons were bogus.

So did you see a difference? I didn't think so.

Which excuses were wrong? That Rivers has been surrounded by better players? That Rivers plays in a weaker division? That Rivers plays in better weather on average?

Which of those are wrong?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #40
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Which excuses were wrong? That Rivers has been surrounded by better players? That Rivers plays in a weaker division? That Rivers plays in better weather on average?

I know I'm the biased one here since I think Rivers is overrated, but none of those excuses seem wrong to me. NFC East had a "weak" season last year as well.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #41
Sarcastic

Again, Rivers has better stats in his first 5 years than Joe Montana. In fact, Joe Montana never once threw for 4,000 yards. Rivers has done it 3 times. Montana's career high for TD's is 31. Rivers' career high is 34.

Just going by stats, Rivers must be better than Montana. Amirite?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #42
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:

They're bogus because of how much weight you put into them.

You arguing that Rivers puts up better numbers because of his division, has better players etc is bogus because Rivers has shown that there is no drop off when playing non-division opponents and that he can still be elite with trash for WRs. Why should I put any stock into your excuses when they've been proven to have no affect on his play at all. Sure they might be true in a sense but they amount to nothing in the long run. So yes, they are not wrong but you thinking they have had an effect on him is the bogus part. Elite QBs put up great #s regardless.

Quote:
Again, Rivers has better stats in his first 5 years than Joe Montana. In fact, Joe Montana never once threw for 4,000 yards. Rivers has done it 3 times. Montana's career high for TD's is 31. Rivers' career high is 34.

Just going by stats, Rivers must be better than Montana. Amirite?

What does this have to do with anything? Were not arguing bulk statistics here. Were not even comparing Manning and Rivers statistically, at least I'm not. Ridiculous comment.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #43
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've felt so for awhile. I mean they always get off to a slow start, and barely make the playoffs(typically because someone else chokes), in the weakest division for years. Played with two dominating all pro guys at their position, a guy who was a top tight end. and had good defenses all-around.

I mean the team has been a perennial contender for what 4 of the 6 last years or so? And they've won how many games? Sure he tosses for tons of yards, but rarely wins in the playoffs.

Unarguably, Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger are better. I'd say Ryan as well. And arguably Vick, Romo, Flacco, Eli?, and Tebow.I had too.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #44
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Really? Rivers has had trash receivers? When did Rivers have trash receivers? The only time you can make a case for that was possibly last year when Vincent Jackson was with a hold out, and I think Gates missed a couple in between.

I look at these rosters for all his WR's and TE's in the past few years. Is Malcolm Floyd and Darren Sproles trash? Darren Sproles looks amazing in New Orleans right now. Gates and Vincent Jackson are 1000 yard receivers who haven't been trash. Chris Chambers was decent at one point, don't forget LT.

Despite you thinking his excuses being "bogus", do you agree that Rivers plays in a weaker division, has more talent on both sides around him, and the he plays in better weather? Answer the question.

Last edited by UtahJazzFan88 : 10-23-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #45
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Also, here's the difference between Romo and Rivers statistically. Got them from another sports forum I visit.

(The first stat is completions for attempt)
Philip Rivers:
1,705 - 2,673 | 63.8% CMP | 21,376 Yards (8.0 avg) | 143 TD, 67 INT | 95.9 QBR

Tony Romo:
1,452 - 2,263 | 64.2% CMP | 18,240 Yards (8.1 avg) | 126 TD, 68 INT | 95.2 QBR

Stats are pretty similar, both came in the league at the same time, Rivers has stats that are in the SLIGHTEST bit better, Romo has sat out a few more cames through his career than Rivers as well after missing 3/4th's of last season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: