Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Gaming Reviews - Often Very Useless

I would add more points to this, but I don't have much time seeing how early it is.

The video gaming community is a very fast reacting one and loves changes sides/opinions. Look at 2k12. At first, it was the ideal game. Now people are complaining constantly. This is 2k's own problem that could be discussed with another overall topic(devs that release an incomplete/poorly tested game that could easily be better due to a deadline). It got a 9.5 from IGN or whatever.

Now I think that companies should wait until a month or so after of playing the game periodically each day, and have at least beaten some form of campaign or something. I realize this is not business smart as people want to hear about the game due to the hype factor. But its smart in the sense that in 5 years we won't look back and go "2k12 got a 9.5? LOL! That game is nothing compared to the best basketball game ever, NBA Live: Rebirth"

Most gaming reviews are centered around a reviewer really excited about the game who is looking for positive factors instead of negative. Thats why I don't ever really take their opinions to mean anything anymore.

What do you think?
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

heavensdevil has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gaming Reviews - Often Very Useless

gamespot reviews are on point, and usually do a very good job of letting you know what you are getting into, whether positive or negative. Try gamespot.
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

I agree with you. Regardless, I still read reviews to get details about the game. If it seems like I might like it, then I'll give it a shot. For example, Dead Island got some ok to bad scores but I read enough details about it over quite a few reviews and I know that I'll like it. For me, reader reviews are more important.

I like to also look at metacritic.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

nothing you said made sense. the point of reviews is to instruct consumers, that's why they receive review copies before the games come out. and numbers are only used as a summary, they all still want to actually read.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not really.

If you look at places like Gamerankings.com or Metacritic that average out many reviews, they're almost always spot on. If you get a big enough sample of people who basically play games for a living, it's generally a very good indicator of the quality of the game. I can't think of many games I've disagreed with the average consensus.

I generally look at this scores and a read a couple from sites I regularly visit like Gamespot and Gamesradar to get the details. NBA 2K12 did get some great overall scores but I passed on it because apparently the online multiplayer is worse than ever.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't read reviews often. I usually look at player reviews and feedback, from there I decide.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kungfro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ro-punctuation

These are the only reviews I like. He nit picks the shit out of games!

I only watch gamespot or IGN reviews to see a bit of the game in action. I always determine if I want to get a game or not.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ro-punctuation

These are the only reviews I like. He nit picks the shit out of games!

I only watch gamespot or IGN reviews to see a bit of the game in action. I always determine if I want to get a game or not.
If you like yahtzee, you might like tb too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Reviews in general, movies and games particular, I usually look at like this:

If something is universally lauded, so scoring 9+ on the aggregate type websites like Metacritic, is almost certainly good and worth me checking out regardless of weather it's something that's in my wheelhouse or not. Then there are some elements that I'm just not into, like with gaming, online modes don't interest me much, so when a Modern Warfare scores 10/10 everywhere, I may borrow a copy to check it out, but I'm not gonna buy it because I know it's not being reviewed well for reasons I particularly care about. But it's still worth playing.

And stuff that scores 5 or lower, is almost certainly bad enough to avoid, again, even if it is in my wheelhouse, and features zombies or some other such thing that may make me want to buy it.

It's those 6-8s that require some looking into to decide if the flaws that are certainly there are something that will affect your experience. Or if it's content you're not into, it's probably not worth stomaching it just for an experience that's going to be meh.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
cuad
kings fan

cuad has decent reputationcuad has decent reputation

You guys know that these guys get paid to write good reviews, and when they don't get their money they write bad reviews. Or they pay the company to let them have the first review. Plus the writers are journalists first, and crappy ones at that, not gamers.

first time play throughs with live commentary are the best reviews.
cuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I rely on reviews by casual gamers more than anything. They've never let me down.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: