Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
TheGreatBlaze
Decent playground baller

TheGreatBlaze is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Is Tim Duncan the most widely respected player in NBA HISTORY?

He's the only player I can think of that I've never seen anyone hate on. He certainly doesn't get the most HYPE but I don't think I've ever seen someone go out of their way to hate on him like they do MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Wilt etc. or any other star ever.

What say you?
TheGreatBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Tim Duncan the most widely respected player in NBA HISTORY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBlaze
He's the only player I can think of that I've never seen anyone hate on. He certainly doesn't get the most HYPE but I don't think I've ever seen someone go out of their way to hate on him like they do MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Wilt etc. or any other star ever.

What say you?

If he didn't whine to referees more than any other player in NBA history this would be a given.

Most widely respected might be someone like Bill Russell, only moron's hate on him.
G-train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

alwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Your thread's title and OP is referring to two different topics. Michael Jordan is certainly more "widely respected" than Duncan although Duncan may be less hated.
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Most widely respected might be someone like Bill Russell, only moron's hate on him.

a ton of younger fans discredit russell due to his era and mediocre scoring ability

kareem seems pretty widely respected to me, ive rarely seen anybody hate on him.

its probably more due to circumstance, than the actual players themselves.

jordan only gets hate because kobe and lebron happened to have similar styles to mj, and came after mj, so kobe and lebron stans try to discredit jordan. if lebron and kobe were never born, or if he were a power forward, for example, mj would get a lot more respect from younger fans

Last edited by chips93 : 10-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Nevaeh
National High School Star

Nevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected posterNevaeh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
a ton of younger fans discredit russell due to his era and mediocre scoring ability

kareem seems pretty widely respected to me, ive rarely seen anybody hate on him.

its probably more due to circumstance, than the actual players themselves.

jordan only gets hate because kobe and lebron happened to have similar styles to mj, and came after mj, so kobe and lebron stans try to discredit jordan. if lebron and kobe were never born, or if he were a power forward, for example, mj would get a lot more respect from younger fans

I see more younger cats, even here at ISH, who respect Jordan than not. It's only a few young, bitter delusional Posters who seem to have a problem with him. As these guys get older and start researching the context of past Players' domination, (like my generation is now doing with Russell's generation) they'll better understand their place in history, without slamming them compared to this current generation.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Kevin_Gamble has decent reputationKevin_Gamble has decent reputation

Probably Rasheed. Duncan is top 3 though for sure.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
Probably Rasheed. Duncan is top 3 though for sure.

i cant tell if your being funny or not, i dont think you are
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
If he didn't whine to referees more than any other player in NBA history this would be a given.

......Or Sixers/Lakers fans.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93

I wouldn't say a ton, I'd say just a few moronic ones that dont respect any player that played prior to 1990.
G-train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
iamgine

iamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputation

Hate doesn't mean you don't respect. A lot of people don't like Bill Russell but still respect him.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
jbryan1984
Decent college freshman

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

I think he gets lack of respect. Dude has 4 rings and was the reason his team won all of them. He is probably the most least known superstar of all time. Fans like us, probably put him in the top 10 (at least top 15) with Jordan, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, Magic, Bird, KAJ and all them. But if you showed a non basketball fan a list of all those men, I bet they would know who all of them are other than Duncan. It probably has a lot to do with playing in a small market, a market that does not have any other pro sports teams.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Sabonis.

/thread.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Collie
Decent college freshman

Collie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd think someone like John Havlicek would fit the bill. Exciting style, good guy, champion, could mesh with any team.

TD gets a few haters due to his boring style and his referee antics.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

I suppose. I don't know anyone who hates on him.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

i read a writer describe Duncan as the "least volatile superstar ever" and it is absolutely true.

in the history of the game, Duncan is almost certainly the nicest, easiest-to-manage, not-create-problems/drama superstar ever. at the most you can find maybe one other guy who matches this. that's it. 99.999 of all superstars have egos, creates drama, causes tension.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: