Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Eli Manning and the Dreaded Underrated Word

This guy has never gotten a fair shake ever since he forced his way to NY in a very memorable draft day trade. He seems like a goof ball, sure he often looks confused out there (even though he recorded one of the highest wonderlic scores of all time in the NFL). The word underrated is probably one of the most misused words in all of sports. We often rate players correctly and as a result due to lots of players being overrated (mainly due to media) we think that a guy like Drew Brees is underrated, when in fact he's rated correctly.

If I were to make an argument for any Quarterback in the NFL being underrated it'd be Eli.

Let's talk the stuff we can grade on paper. He has one of the best arms in the NFL. Even though his delivery may be a bit unorthodox he has a better arm then his beloved brother even (admittedly so). He can make every single throw and for a while he showed some poor mechanics (i.e. throwing off his back foot) but that's all but a distant memory.

People like to talk about his laid back demeanor as a fault. If anything it helps him out. He's rare in the sense that he can have a horrible 3 quarters of football, full of bad passes, drops by his WRs, sacks from the opposing defenses, turnovers, and still come right back in their the next drive and instantly forget about it. I've seen him do this countless teams, he's pretty unshakable. I've seen lots of QBs over the years get down on themselves, when the mistakes start to pile up they begin to snowball. Mcnabb was a perfect example of this when he played for Philly - when the going was good, he was excellent but when things didn't go his way he often struggled.

I also find it funny that he had one of the greatest post season runs ever and yet it gets swept under the rug. Everyone loves to say how dominant their defensive line was, and obviously this is true but he still played brilliantly and made plenty of plays. If you go back and look at any SB winning team there is usually one common denominator - a great defense.

I am not claiming he's Aaron Rodgers or even Drew Brees for that matter. I am claiming he's in the tier below them which makes him an excellent QB that is very "clutch". I would take very few QBs over him and I think besides the Saints he has the best shot to upset the Packers and come out of the NFC.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

Godzuki has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Eli Manning and the Dreaded Underrated Word

he's not anywhere near on his brothers level. my issue with Eli is he has a tendency to throw a lot of up for grabs balls, like he's just chuckiing it. its not so bad when he had Plax, and granted a lot of times he was being rushed and just chucks them when he's about to get hit trying to make a play, but i expect more than that if ure going to put him at top QB levels, or even underrated for top QB lvls. to me he just isn't there yet, where as the top QB's will more or less make accurate long throws as opposed to Eli just bombing them hoping they can grab it.

not saying he sux, he's on that second tier and been on the verge of top tier QB for a while but thats a huge step that i'm not sure he'll ever make. to be in that top tier u have to be like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. and he's very far from that lvl of perfection.
Godzuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

But how is he underrated? Who's rating him to low? Most analysis I've heard calls him a good QB but not an elite (as in top 5) and most seasons that's the case. More accurate to say he's under the radar right now. Which is true, but so is everyone not named Tim Tebow.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, I think he belongs in the Rivers/Big Ben area of really good but not elite. People love to talk shit on himm but he really is a borderline great QB.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Not sure how he's underrated, everyone usually rates him right where he belongs. You either live under a rock or listen to only people who hate NY/Eli.

Also, he didn't have one of the greatest post-season runs ever. He played very well, but not anywhere near the Montana's runs, Rodgers run last year, Brees's run the year before, Kurt Warner's run, etc.... Eli played well, but not "historically" well.

I don't think he has a big arm either. I watch Rodgers throw a ball, and then Eli....big difference. I think Eli has a good arm, but so do numerous other quarterbacks in the league. He doesn't separate himself from the pack.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this is the best year of Eli's career...right now

he has a career rating of 81.4...that sucks, and yes it does mean something

people think that Romo is erratic...but Eli is 10x more erratic

Eli's career is one of the most innconsistant careers ever...plays amazing one game, next game 4 ints...elite one game then complete garbage the next...etc
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
this is the best year of Eli's career...right now

he has a career rating of 81.4...that sucks, and yes it does mean something

people think that Romo is erratic...but Eli is 10x more erratic

Eli's career is one of the most innconsistant careers ever...plays amazing one game, next game 4 ints...elite one game then complete garbage the next...etc
How is Eli 10X more erratic? He's no more turnover prone than Romo, and Romo's been historically bad at the end of games, Eli the opposite.

I don't think Eli is underrated, but i have heard comparisons of other players (Romo, Vick) to Eli which i think are very unfair considering those are players who turn the ball over at the same level he does and haven't won any more than he has.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
How is Eli 10X more erratic? He's no more turnover prone than Romo, and Romo's been historically bad at the end of games, Eli the opposite.

I don't think Eli is underrated, but i have heard comparisons of other players (Romo, Vick) to Eli which i think are very unfair considering those are players who turn the ball over at the same level he does and haven't won any more than he has.
huh? Eli throws almost 2x more ints than Romo...look at the stats

Eli has led the NFL twice in ints

Romo's just get the spotlight...1 Romo int is equal to 5 Eli ints to the media
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Eli Manning interceptions:

2005: 17
2006: 18
2007: 20 (led NFL)
2008: 10
2009: 14
2010: 25 (led NFL)

Tony Romo interceptions:

2006: 13
2007: 19
2008: 14
2009: 9
2010: 7
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
huh? Eli throws almost 2x more ints than Romo...look at the stats

Eli has led the NFL twice in ints

Romo's just get the spotlight...1 Romo int is equal to 5 Eli ints to the media
Eli doesn't throw game losing INT's with regularity, Romo does. Eli has a history of postseason success, Romo of postseason hiliarity for those of us who hate the Cowboys.

I'm glad you like Romo better, you can keep him.

This season alone, he kept handing the ball to Detroit after Dallas had a big lead until they lost. In the Jet game, he threw a pass to Darell Revis. Not, threw a pass that Revis made a fantastic play on. HE THREW THE BALL TO REVIS. Here, Jets - you win.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Eli doesn't throw game losing INT's with regularity, Romo does. Eli has a history of postseason success, Romo of postseason hiliarity for those of us who hate the Cowboys.

I'm glad you like Romo better, you can keep him.

This season alone, he kept handing the ball to Detroit after Dallas had a big lead until they lost. In the Jet game, he threw a pass to Darell Revis. Not, threw a pass that Revis made a fantastic play on. HE THREW THE BALL TO REVIS. Here, Jets - you win.
Eli has been better this year than Romo has...SO FAR

happy?

you can keep Eli though...don't want
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Eli underrated? no
Romo better than eli? hell no

hes been there, done that (unlike tony homo whos been close to there, only to screw it up)
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...win-super-bowl

The List: 'Worst' QBs to win a Super Bowl

Quote:
1. Jeff Hostetler, SB25. Giants fans will always have a warm place in their hearts for Hoss, who stepped in for an injured Phil Simms (more on him later) and gutted his way to the finish line in 1990. But all he proved as a starter over the next six seasons -- the last four with the Raiders -- was that he couldn't make his teams better. Only one of those teams, the 1993 Raiders, made the playoffs.

2. Trent Dilfer, SB35. Look, we didn't say he was Joe Montana. But had Dilfer played on a halfway decent team at the start of his career, he might have had a hell of a ride. He certainly had the arm.

3. Eli Manning, SB42. He was calm, cool and clutch. He also is one poor season -- 2008, perhaps? -- from being back nearly where he started, in terms of his reputation. Was 42 a launching point for Manning, or an aberration?

4. Doug Williams, SB22. Career completion percentage: 49.5. That pretty much stinks. Williams helped make the Buccaneers respectable from 1979-82, but he was only 8-9 as a Redskins starter, including the playoffs. Then again, did he really belong on the bench behind Jay Schroeder?

5. Brad Johnson, SB37. The two-time Pro Bowler was one of the more efficient passers of his era, but he loses points with The List for being scared (yeah, we said it) to go downfield more often. Not that he had the arm to do so without inviting disaster, but still.

6. Jim McMahon, SB20. He was a beer-chugger, a tocacco-spitter and an injury waiting to happen. The free-spirited Ditka antagonizer didn't stay healthy long enough to fulfill his potential with the Bears. Or maybe he did. Either way, when he was on the field, Jimmy Mac -- as much as Walter Payton, Mike Singletary or anybody else -- was the heart and soul of the Shufflin' Crew.

7. Mark Rypien, SB26. The Big Albertan had a couple of exquisite seasons -- and certainly accomplished more than was expected of a sixth-round draft pick -- but accuracy was an issue throughout most of his career. Hey, nobody's perfect.

8. Earl Morrall, SB5. Boy, it's tough to put a guy who was so well thought-of, as both a starter and a backup, on The List. Morrall rolled with the punches like few before him or since, but he never had that run of sustained excellence. Darn Unitas and Griese.

9. Jim Plunkett, SB15, SB18. The ever-overlooked Plunkett was a rookie of the year, a comeback player of the year, a two-time Super Bowl champ as a starter and the MVP of the Raiders' win over the Eagles. The main knock on him: way more interceptions thrown (198) than touchdowns (164).

10. Phil Simms, SB21. One of Bill Parcells' first moves as Giants coach was to replace Simms in the starting lineup with Scott Brunner. One of Ray Handley's first moves as Giants coach was to replace Simms in the starting lineup with the aforementioned Hoss. Such indignities tend not to be suffered by true all-time greats.

defense wins championships...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would love to be on a list of worst QBs to lead his team to a Superbowl. And I daresay that every QB that doesn't have a ring would want to be on that list as well.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I would love to be on a list of worst QBs to lead his team to a Superbowl. And I daresay that every QB that doesn't have a ring would want to be on that list as well.
Marino might want to be on that list but the point is having a ring doesn't make you a great QB

or even a good QB
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: