Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation
Default Surprisingly bad and good films.

Good: The Aviator

All signs indicated that it would be long and tedious. Drama film, 150+ min running time. But damn I was so engrossed with the story, acting, and the film's technical qualities that I could watch the film over and over again without getting bored. Underrated masterpiece.

Bad: Drive

Marketed as "redifining" action thrillers.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Surprisingly bad and good films.

I'll give you an old surprisingly good film.

The Last Action Hero - This movie bombed BIG TIME at the box office. Probably considered one of Schwartenegger's worst films. Reviews were not good.

Have you seen it? Because if you did, you'll know it's a VERY good movie. It was actually ahead of its time. It was an action movie, making fun of action movies. Schwarzenegger poking fun at himself. I bet if it was released now instead of 20 years ago, it would do much better. Although I haven't seen it in a while, I highly recommend it.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
Good: The Aviator

All signs indicated that it would be long and tedious. Drama film, 150+ min running time. But damn I was so engrossed with the story, acting, and the film's technical qualities that I could watch the film over and over again without getting bored. Underrated masterpiece.

I can't speak for others but I can't see this personally. Had Leo coming off Catch Me If You Can and Gangs Of New York. Martin Scorsese directing it. Lots of big names in the supporting cast. Not to mention it was about Howard Hughes.

I didn't pay attention to movie hype back in '04 but I imagine there was a f*ck load of people that was expecting a good movie.

Disregard this if I completely missed the idea of this thread
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Bandito
Banned

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

One that surprise me a little bit was Silent Hill. I thought it was going to be your typical video game movie game but it was surprisingly creepy and good. What Resident Evil could've been.
Bandito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

The Last Action Hero - This movie bombed BIG TIME at the box office. Probably considered one of Schwartenegger's worst films. Reviews were not good.

Have you seen it? Because if you did, you'll know it's a VERY good movie. It was actually ahead of its time. It was an action movie, making fun of action movies. Schwarzenegger poking fun at himself. I bet if it was released now instead of 20 years ago, it would do much better. Although I haven't seen it in a while, I highly recommend it.
I loved that movie, don't see whats wrong with it
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
I loved that movie, don't see whats wrong with it

Nothing's wrong with it. But it bombed. Made no money. Critics hated it. But the movie is really good.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I definitely enjoy that movie. I use his "Uh-huh, uh-huh, yeahyeahyeahyeah" line (from when his ex wife calls) all the time in real life when a girl's carrying on a little too much. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwDwkoK0qcU
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Nothing's wrong with it. But it bombed. Made no money. Critics hated it. But the movie is really good.

Yeah I remember when I saw it as a kid and thought it was awesome. Then I heard that it got poor reviews so for years I thought I must have liked it just because I was a kid. I rewatched it a few years back and thought it was a solid film. It doesn't take itself seriously and it is pretty original too.

I always thought Waterworld was good too. I don't think it did well at the box office and it didn't get very good reviews, but I do enjoy watching that film.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I liked The Aviator but not as much as most people. It was an ok movie although Cate Blanchett's character was annoying as hell. If that's how Katharine Hepburn was in real life... then damn
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Wang Zhi Zhi
Serious playground baller

Wang Zhi Zhi has decent reputationWang Zhi Zhi has decent reputation

Drive was amazing
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Surprisingly very good:

I remember when it came out thinking that a movie named 'Ghost Dog' about a fat, black 'samurai' living in Jersey City could possibly be the worst premise I've ever heard.

Then I finally convinced myself to watch it years later and loved it. Like they say never judge a book by its cover.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316

Bad: Drive

Marketed as "redifining" action thrillers.

Doesn't matter how it was marketed. Just because you were expecting something else, doesn't mean it was bad. Complaining about the marketing of that movie reminds me of the stupid woman who sued them for false advertisement because she was expecting it to be more like The Fast & The Furious, lol. That was my favorite movie of 2011 btw.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

End Of Watch was surprisingly good imo.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

Good - Up
I. Was. Not. Prepared. One of the finest stories I've seen. I laughed hysterically, cried openly and was enraptured for 90 minutes in ways I never expected. Related wholeheartedly with Carl Fredericksen's life, experiences and emotions....and the dude was a cartoon.

Bad - Alexander
Rosario Dawson's beautiful bare breasts were the only thing that made sense in this picture. I really thought Oliver Stone had some great historical source material to work with and was interested in telling a story beyond who Alexander was boning. so much unfulfilled potential. Sadly, this did not happen and Oliver Stone has been doing terrible work ever since.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Surprisingly Good- The Simpsons Movie. The Simpsons had been subpar for years before it came out. The movie seemed desperate and likely lame. But it was really good and had some legit hilarious moments.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: