Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,637
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
the jokes are still good but the whole mystery aspect has become annoyingly predictable. about 10 minutes in to every episode, shawn and gus run in to innocent looking quiet/shy/mousey assistant/secretary/neighbor who only has a handful of lines. 95% of the time this person is the perp. the writers are trying so hard to make it so that the audience never suspects the actual perp, therefore you basically know who is guilty based on who appears to be the most innocent bystander. the last two episodes i saw recently, one with the camera man killing reality show contestants and the one where the neighbor is feeding lassie halucinogens, it was just blatantly obvious and formulaic.

Even from day one the mysteries were never awe inspiring. I think only a few times would I be absolutely like: "Whoa! That was nice!"

It is formulaic but often there will be some nice clever funny way that they discover it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 20,955
Default Re: Psych Season 6

^ I agree with Timmy D. The mysteries never made the show, they're just a vehicle for hijinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
the jokes are still good but the whole mystery aspect has become annoyingly predictable. about 10 minutes in to every episode, shawn and gus run in to innocent looking quiet/shy/mousey assistant/secretary/neighbor who only has a handful of lines. 95% of the time this person is the perp. the writers are trying so hard to make it so that the audience never suspects the actual perp, therefore you basically know who is guilty based on who appears to be the most innocent bystander. the last two episodes i saw recently, one with the camera man killing reality show contestants and the one where the neighbor is feeding lassie halucinogens, it was just blatantly obvious and formulaic.

I think that the Shining-esque episode was the best in quite a while. The amount of homages, the directing and cinematography were starkly different than usual, and it was still pretty funny.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Nanners
Decent college freshman
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,690
Default Re: Psych Season 6

i know the mysteries are not the point of the show, i just think it is kind of lame that the killer is blatantly obvious in every episode. that is my only knock against this show, other than that it is genius. the jokes are hilarious and burton guster is one of my favorite characters on tv.

monk is an example of a show that i think is the perfect formulaic crime comedy. it is similar to psych in a lot of ways, but i think i like monk a bit better because the mysteries in that show are great. it is possible to predict the killer in monk, but not as easily as psych.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 20,955
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
i know the mysteries are not the point of the show, i just think it is kind of lame that the killer is blatantly obvious in every episode. that is my only knock against this show, other than that it is genius. the jokes are hilarious and burton guster is one of my favorite characters on tv.

monk is an example of a show that i think is the perfect formulaic crime comedy. it is similar to psych in a lot of ways, but i think i like monk a bit better because the mysteries in that show are great. it is possible to predict the killer in monk, but not as easily as psych.

I see your point but I never watched either show for the mysteries at all... On a related note, Monk annoyed the shit out of me after about two seasons. I ended up catching up through reruns and shit, but I personally find it overpraised. Although because of the success of Monk it sparked USA to make all of these other shows like Burn Notice, Psych, etc.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,637
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
i know the mysteries are not the point of the show, i just think it is kind of lame that the killer is blatantly obvious in every episode. that is my only knock against this show, other than that it is genius. the jokes are hilarious and burton guster is one of my favorite characters on tv.

monk is an example of a show that i think is the perfect formulaic crime comedy. it is similar to psych in a lot of ways, but i think i like monk a bit better because the mysteries in that show are great. it is possible to predict the killer in monk, but not as easily as psych.

Monk is a better crime show no doubt, Psych is the better comedy show.

I actually have met someone with similar views as yours though. I can understand it, it has some work to do to be well rounded flawlessly. But like you said and like Professor Muuuuuurrrrder echoed it's so great in the other aspects you can over look it.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star
 
FatComputerNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Believeland
Posts: 2,132
Default Re: Psych Season 6

What did you all think of the season finale?

I am kinda peeved they left us with such a huge cliffhanger, but I guess they always do that.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,958
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Possible spoilers coming up...








I was pretty surprised by the finale. Whenever one of the main cast is in trouble they always get saved just in the nick of time and I thought the same would happen here. I still think everything will work out in the end, but it was a good unexpected twist.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,637
Default Re: Psych Season 6

I actually felt like this would be how the show ended. But the way it was picked up by USA, and the steady ratings the show continues to receive I'm nearly positive that season 7 won't be it's final one.

It's interesting though, the seasons have had a tendency to end on a dark note recently.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Psych Season 6

I dunno why but I always wanted Shawn to suddenly turn Psychic after some incident triggers it. Imagine how funny it would be if he touched something to get a feign a reading and then BAM! a vision pops up
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 20,955
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
I dunno why but I always wanted Shawn to suddenly turn Psychic after some incident triggers it. Imagine how funny it would be if he touched something to get a feign a reading and then BAM! a vision pops up

That'd be awesome. Then he could literally just sit around the office and solve shit.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
That'd be awesome. Then he could literally just sit around the office and solve shit.
The visions are obviously riddles that he gotta solve first, but it would give a whole new side to the show, the current formula is too tired.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 20,955
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
The visions are obviously riddles that he gotta solve first, but it would give a whole new side to the show, the current formula is too tired.

I wouldn't want them to actually do it, but that could be a series finale or something. Julia or Gus gets kidnapped and a real vision kicks in because of the stress/love in his mind. Then Shawn explains it was real and no one believes him because they think it's been real the whole time (Gus would laugh if told since it would basically be a joke).
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,470
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I wouldn't want them to actually do it, but that could be a series finale or something. Julia or Gus gets kidnapped and a real vision kicks in because of the stress/love in his mind. Then Shawn explains it was real and no one believes him because they think it's been real the whole time (Gus would laugh if told since it would basically be a joke).
Yea it would be a great way to conclude the show, I think even their super geek writers have probably run out of absurd characters out of absurd shows and movies.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #29
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,958
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Anyone catch the season seven premiere? I thought it was a pretty good one overall.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star
 
FatComputerNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Believeland
Posts: 2,132
Default Re: Psych Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Anyone catch the season seven premiere? I thought it was a pretty good one overall.

Yeah I just watched it earlier today.

Still one of the best shows on TV IMO
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy