Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: Carter and T-Mac on OTR Thursday

You dont have to be a Hall of Famer to have your jersey retired by the local franchise. Its about the franchise not the league and their all time standing.

The one (two?three?) guy I would seriously consider i.e. for jersey retirement - having a big hoopla - inviting them back - making an event of it..

Certain :Alvin Williams

Highly Probable: Mo Pete (is he finally retired?)

Maybe Rasho...(unsure).

Not because of individual stats. More because of their contribution to the organization. Standing in community. Etc.

Jose ? Maybe... once he has retired and I have 5 or more years to "look back" and balance the good and the bad; how he leaves the team, if he comes back to work for the organization as an international scout, these sorts of things. You need the colling off period to determine if he played his career here with the franchises best interests in mind or otherwise.

Which is why I wouldnt retire Vince or TMac.

Last edited by Jballer : 11-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I don't think anybody's jersey should be retired until this team actually wins something.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I don't think anybody's jersey should be retired until this team actually wins something.

And we have a winner.

So far this team has only had two great players who bounced for greener pastures early-ish in their career and before winning us anything, and a bunch of mediocre players like Calderon, Mo-Pete etc. who spent their careers here only because no one else would pay them the stupid money we did. Neither of these two types deserves a jersey retirement.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #19
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i am talking about retiring the jersey. not inducting someone into the hall of fame.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
i am talking about retiring the jersey. not inducting someone into the hall of fame.

And Vince Carter is the only one that even deserves to mentioned for the possibility of that.
Dr.Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #21
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

+1.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I can't believe people are even considering retiring the numbers of the likes of Alvin Williams, Mo Pete, Jose, Rasho!?

This is actually comical.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #23
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I can't believe people are even considering retiring the numbers of the likes of Alvin Williams, Mo Pete, Jose, Rasho!?

I know right? Just because their fan favourites, doesn't mean they deserve their numbers to be retired.

Might as well add Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley, Damon Stoudemire, Donyell Marshall (he shares an NBA record with Kobe, right?), and Matt Bonner to the retirement jersey list.

At least Davis, Oakley, and Damon had notable accomplishments and took the team to new heights in their tenure.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #24
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No mention of JYD or Keon "Buzzing at Halftime" Clark as of yet?!

Shame!
BoogieWoogieMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 AM   #25
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
No mention of JYD or Keon "Buzzing at Halftime" Clark as of yet?!

Shame!

Those two are Raptor legends for different reasons though
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing

I understood what you were saying, I just still find it laughable.

I do agree with Funk though: VC is the only one who should get a wiff of mention, since there was never a better time to be a raptor fan than when he was in his prime, to the extent that there was a time where whether or not he was better than Kobe was a legit discussion. That said, he shat on the franchise and outside of a couple good seasons in Jersey rapidly declined to irrelevance so retiring his number would still be received poorly to say the least.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:

I dont think its comical.

I fully stated this is not about hall of fame credentials or accomplishements.

Off the top of my head - the Blue Jays retired Dave Stieb jeresey as I recall and he will never sniff the hall of fame. If the Jays retired only the jerseys of hall of famers it would be limited to 1 or 2 players - Alomar and Carter. It would exclude all the others important pieces that passed through Toronto like a Tony Fernandez.

So is Dave Steib equally laughable?? Tony ??

Or are they players that were a kind of heart and soul franchise icon that means something to the fans?? Whats so comicial about recognizing a couple of "heart and sole franchise" players in the limited history of this team?

I find it comical that some people on this board would choose to recognize Vince Carter as having some intimate connection with the franchise, and fans.

He may or may not be a Hall of Famer - but frankly he completely burned bridges here with his "I gave up".

Antonio Davis - ditto - "they taught my kids metric - Boo Hoo"
TMac - ditto - wanting to play 2nd fiddle to Grant Hill instead of VC
Cbosh - ditto - "should i stay or should I go tweet"

Bullshit - all of these guys.

At least Alvin hustled - played on bad knees - did a lot of community work (meet him in Aurora many times) and came back to coach. Also had a 'respectable career'.

MoPete is a stretch but I do have a soft spot for the guy. Also met him at a number of community events in York Region.

Last edited by Jballer : 11-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #28
Jballer
Local High School Star

How many of you guys actually live in Toronto ? Attend Jay games / Raptors game / Leaf games in tha past 10 years ?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #29
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
How many of you guys actually live in Toronto ? Attend Jay games / Raptors game / Leaf games in tha past 10 years ?

I was born and raised in TO and still live here. I've attended Jays and Raptors games my whole life. Comparing Dave Stieb to Alvin Williams is astonishing. The man damn near had 3 no-hitters in his time as a Jay, and converted one of them. Alvin never did anything that comparatively great. He is more McDonald than Stieb. You don't retire the number of players who were nice grinders who did good community service. You retire the jerseys of players who did great things while on your team. That's why VC is the only player who should get consideration, and even then falls short because he is and was a douche.

I like Alvin Williams as much as the next guy but come on. A team that has been as sh!t as ours has for as long as it has doesn't deserve any retired jerseys. Be real people.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #30
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

If there were a Raptors Hall of Fame of some sort, Alvin Williams would deserve a spot just for being a member of the team in so many different ways. He's showed some true dedication to the team. Retired number? Never. Just a nice plaque, maybe some gift certificates.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: