Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Default Re: Bengals 6-2! WHO DEY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
i think the only thing they really have going for them is their defense. against the top teams or when it matters i don't think they're a real contender at all, more pretender for now, and i don't see it lasting much longer before their record gets worse.

then again i keep waiting for SF to lose and they still haven't....

and while SF's D can maybe hang and keep them in it vs the top teams which is doubtful but possible, i can't see the Bengals anywhere close.

PS i HATE Benson, and Cinci's complacency with him...i swear he sux.
the only thing you see going for them is their defense?

have you watched them play this year? that statement seriously makes me doubt that you have - aj green is one of the best not just young wide outs in the league but one of the best wide receivers in the league already, period. he is on pace to have the 2nd best rookie season by a WR ever (second to Moss). he is an absolute monster - there is nothing to not like about that guy.

and Andy Dalton doesn't get you excited? that guy has played lights out.

there is a lot to be excited about as a Bengals fan. the same way there is a lot to be excited if you are a Niners fan...both of those teams can beat any team in the NFL IMO.

ps i usually see eye to eye with you in this forum but the bengals have been awesome and its not a fluke. im not saying they're going to finish 12-4 and win a couple playoff games but they're definitely good and the entire teams arrow is pointing straight up.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
Definitely not, he is slow and plodding. If you "ranked" all of the starting RBs in the league (I think any/all rankings are not just subjective but retarded in nature), he'd definitely be at the bottom of the list. He's solid in that he doesn't fumble the ball and he usually picks up 2 to 3 yards but he's not a game changer or a "factor back"...Bernard Scott is a much more explosive option. I fully expect the Bengals to invest one of their many draft picks in a decent RB which would take that offense to the next level IMO.
I just don't believe you need a stud rb to win the nfl right now. Give me an RB who holds onto the ball and keeps the defense honest any day of the week.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
I just don't believe you need a stud rb to win the nfl right now. Give me an RB who holds onto the ball and keeps the defense honest any day of the week.
not sure he's even able to keep the defense honest. he is basically ryan grant that stays healthy. he falls forward and hangs on to the ball. on a great team you clearly don't need a great RB to win, you're right there but on a team with a rookie QB and a rookie WR leading the way it definitely helps.

i'll put it to you this way, rashard mendenhall would be a major upgrade over Benson and he's as middle of the pack as it gets as far as skill sets go.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
the only thing you see going for them is their defense?

have you watched them play this year? that statement seriously makes me doubt that you have - aj green is one of the best not just young wide outs in the league but one of the best wide receivers in the league already, period. he is on pace to have the 2nd best rookie season by a WR ever (second to Moss). he is an absolute monster - there is nothing to not like about that guy.

and Andy Dalton doesn't get you excited? that guy has played lights out.

there is a lot to be excited about as a Bengals fan. the same way there is a lot to be excited if you are a Niners fan...both of those teams can beat any team in the NFL IMO.

ps i usually see eye to eye with you in this forum but the bengals have been awesome and its not a fluke. im not saying they're going to finish 12-4 and win a couple playoff games but they're definitely good and the entire teams arrow is pointing straight up.

Dalton did have like 2 or 3? bad games tho, and i think AJ Green is keyed on where he gets those numbers, not saying he isn't going to be good/great, i think it just helps when ure the #1 target to the degree he is. i just think the reason they've been winning more than anything has been the play of their D...and i just don't see them being the real deal at all against the top teams.

i mean they're pleasantly better than most thought, and Dalton is showing he has a good future, but i just think the hype on them for their record is a lil overblown. but like i said i felt the same way about SF and they're still winning so who knows, maybe i'm wrong, and they do get far but i just think records can be misleading based on schedules so far right now
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
Dalton did have like 2 or 3? bad games tho, and i think AJ Green is keyed on where he gets those numbers, not saying he isn't going to be good/great, i think it just helps when ure the #1 target to the degree he is. i just think the reason they've been winning more than anything has been the play of their D...and i just don't see them being the real deal at all against the top teams.

i mean they're pleasantly better than most thought, and Dalton is showing he has a good future, but i just think the hype on them for their record is a lil overblown. but like i said i felt the same way about SF and they're still winning so who knows, maybe i'm wrong, and they do get far but i just think records can be misleading based on schedules so far right now
Yes Dalton has had some relative stinkers early but in fantasy terms he's scored at least 14 points in his last 5 games and he's coming off the best game of his career (throwing 3 TDs on the road) vs Titans. Same titans team who the Ravens lost to on the road. What rookie QB hasn't thrown up a couple stinker here or there. He's been playing amazing football the past 5 weeks. the hype is deifnitely warranted, I assure you that. even if they finish 8-8 and go 2-6 over their next 8 games, not many people saw this team as an 8 win team prior to the season starting, with their two best offensive players both being rookies.

as far as AJ Green goes, you've got to watch him play. I've been trying to figure out the best player comparison, but he really is a combination of Andre and Calvin. he is unbelievably good. his awesome production is not a result of being the #1 option either, look at Greg Little in Cleveland who is also a talented rookie with a young QB who sees a ton of targets (he has about 1/5th of the production). Did you know only 7 WRs ever (maybe 4) have ever had 1000 yard rookie seasons? He's on pace for 80 catches, 1200 yards, and 10 TDs.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I see a young and hungry without the drama 6'4 version of Chad Johnson.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
EnoughSaid
Miami Heat/Arsenal FC

Yeah buddy!! Can't believe how well we've been doing. I think if we win next week against the Steelers, that will show that we are officially a LEGIT team.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I see a young and hungry without the drama 6'4 version of Chad Johnson.
That's not a bad comparison, but he's faster/bigger/stronger.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
You don't think Benson could get the job done?

Nah I dont. He's a good stop gap RB. If they could land a Cyrus Gray, Lamar Miller in the 2012 draft? Win.

Dalton at QB protected by a stud LT Whitworth throwing to a talented WR in AJ Green or J.Gresham while also having the luxary to hand off the pigskin to a talented young RB. No need for the Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, Cedric Benson type RBs who are temporary fillers. If Bengals are trying to build on something why not add that one piece at RB?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
MMM
877-954-1893

The Bengals are a nice story I'm a bit bitter that they beat my Titans yesterday afternoon but Cincinnati deserves some credit considering most people had them finishing last in the North in the pre-season.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Nah I dont. He's a good stop gap RB. If they could land a Cyrus Gray, Lamar Miller in the 2012 draft? Win.

Dalton at QB protected by a stud LT Whitworth throwing to a talented WR in AJ Green or J.Gresham while also having the luxary to hand off the pigskin to a talented young RB. No need for the Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, Cedric Benson type RBs who are temporary fillers. If Bengals are trying to build on something why not add that one piece at RB?

Him and Scott will get us through the year. It won't be as pretty as what other teams are able to do with their running attacks, but the emergence of Dalton will help open some running lanes.

If they keep Benson beyond this season, then they are idiots.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Him and Scott will get us through the year. It won't be as pretty as what other teams are able to do with their running attacks, but the emergence of Dalton will help open some running lanes.

If they keep Benson beyond this season, then they are idiots.

Yeah for now Benson is good to go. As you said Bengals have exceeded most peoples expecations for this year. 6-2, pretty solid defense and good play out of the rookies. What more can you ask for. But yeah Bengals would be stupid to go with Benson beyond this season. I think Cinnci will have a good chance to upgrade the RB spot after they let Benson take a hike.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
DuMa
Canned

they surprised me. dalton is the real deal rookie qb. better than cam newton has done. and should be the leading candidate for offensive rookie of the year.

but they have clearly had a easy schedule. theyre gonna play the ravens and steelers twice. i'll be surprised if they can even get one victory out of those games.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
they surprised me. dalton is the real deal rookie qb. better than cam newton has done. and should be the leading candidate for offensive rookie of the year.

but they have clearly had a easy schedule. theyre gonna play the ravens and steelers twice. i'll be surprised if they can even get one victory out of those games.

61% compl 1,696yds 12TD 7 INT 85 QB rating

26yd rush 2ypc 1 TD

vs

60% compl 2,393yds 11 TD 9 INT 87 QB rating

319 rush yds 5ypc 7TDs

Yeah better than Cam Newton has done.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
61% compl 1,696yds 12TD 7 INT 85 QB rating

26yd rush 2ypc 1 TD

vs

60% compl 2,393yds 11 TD 9 INT 87 QB rating

319 rush yds 5ypc 7TDs

Yeah better than Cam Newton has done.

You could make a case for both right now honestly, Cam has more yards, but more interceptions and losses. I know the losses aren't all on him, but he did make a few late game mistakes against the Vikings.

Anyway, I'm really not surprised that Andy would be good after watching him as a Utah Utes fan in the Mountain West against TCU for a while, and while I thought they wouldn't be god awful like most predicted (thought they would be 6-10), but 6-2 is a surprise. Benson and Scott are just stop gap's before they draft Lamar Miller from Miami or Chris Polk from Washington. I'm actually surprised how many mocks have LaMichael James like in the 4th round.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: