Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Should Joe Paterno be fired/step down over this Sandusky shit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
No I dont think he should step down.

He never witnessed anything so why in the world should he have been the one to call the cops?

If a person you barely knew came to you and said they saw a coworker of 30 years diddling a kid would you rush out to call the cops right then?

He told his superiors and that is really all he needed to do. Its not his fault the investigation never went down. He probably assumed the dude who saw it made it all up.

And so what if JoePa had a good handle on what was going on in Happy Valley most of the time? Sandusky was obviously fairly careful since he was only caught once.

The person that saw what was going on should be the one catching hell for not going to the cops. Not Paterno.

There's a lot of circumstantial stuff, them telling the guy not to hang around boys anymore, Sandusky always having young boys around, and note - there's a 2nd incident. Not just one. There are two that Paterno should know about.

They have a lot of people on the radio talking about Sandusky, how they knew him, the atmosphere around Penn State at the time, etc. It seems very bad for Paterno. The circumstanial evidence makes it seem worse than you are implying - that one time one person said something to Paterno and that was it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #17
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Paterno needs to step down no matter what, he's wasting his time coaching up from the box anyway IMO.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #18
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Paterno needs to step down no matter what, he's wasting his time coaching up from the box anyway IMO.
This is another factor. Penn State's wanted to move on for a good while, but Paterno's JoePa, he wants to coach then he gets to coach.

Despite their current (bullshit) top 12 (10th?) BCS ranking the program just isn't that great anymore, it's living on its' rep and Paterno's really not a lot more than a figurehead at this point. Even before all this stuff Paterno needed to retire, now there's a valid reason to MAKE him retire.

You can say he did his "legal duty" or whatever and followed the letter of the law. But college athletics isn't the pros, it's not a strictly bottom line just win baby atmosphere, especially in Happy Valley. I don't wanna go off on a tangent but NCAA sports, especially football, defines many a geographic region for better or worse. People are legitimately connected to programs beyond just buying tix and being fans. It's like I said before, if I had any ties to Penn State there is not a chance in hell I would support anyone associated with the football program and the executives of the athletic department, including the guy that basically created the program. This isn't a moral high horse kinda thing, Paterno and Penn State represent rural Pennsylvania to the nation. There's no way I'd want that face representing me.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
This is another factor. Penn State's wanted to move on for a good while, but Paterno's JoePa, he wants to coach then he gets to coach.

Despite their current (bullshit) top 12 (10th?) BCS ranking the program just isn't that great anymore, it's living on its' rep and Paterno's really not a lot more than a figurehead at this point. Even before all this stuff Paterno needed to retire, now there's a valid reason to MAKE him retire.

You can say he did his "legal duty" or whatever and followed the letter of the law. But college athletics isn't the pros, it's not a strictly bottom line just win baby atmosphere, especially in Happy Valley. I don't wanna go off on a tangent but NCAA sports, especially football, defines many a geographic region for better or worse. People are legitimately connected to programs beyond just buying tix and being fans. It's like I said before, if I had any ties to Penn State there is not a chance in hell I would support anyone associated with the football program and the executives of the athletic department, including the guy that basically created the program. This isn't a moral high horse kinda thing, Paterno and Penn State represent rural Pennsylvania to the nation. There's no way I'd want that face representing me.
Basically when this happened he handed off the job of pushing for the Sandusky thing to people who were less powerful than him, and people he could basically get fired. I'm not implying he told them to not find anything out, but he basically entrusted people (assistant DA) with investigating the #2 guy on his own staff. If your boss tells you he suspected something in his 33 yr friend but instead wants you, a person he could get removed to investigate it, how hard would you look? It all seems very cold, someone got raped and it was like "eh, he said it didn't happen, move on".

This isn't even counting the stuff in 2002 that circled around that makes this even more suspect.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
No I dont think he should step down.

He never witnessed anything so why in the world should he have been the one to call the cops?

If a person you barely knew came to you and said they saw a coworker of 30 years diddling a kid would you rush out to call the cops right then?

He told his superiors and that is really all he needed to do. Its not his fault the investigation never went down. He probably assumed the dude who saw it made it all up.

And so what if JoePa had a good handle on what was going on in Happy Valley most of the time? Sandusky was obviously fairly careful since he was only caught once.

The person that saw what was going on should be the one catching hell for not going to the cops. Not Paterno.

but u'd think he'd at least grill the witness if there could had been the least bit of truth to it. i doubt people are accusing his staff or former of child molestation too often where he just blows it off like they're dime a dozen accusations.....and i wouldn't even say its the witnesses fault, only partially for not reporting it to the cops, but even then reporting it to the hierarchy of the school should had been good enough, who should have reported it to the cops, so i'd put it on them if anybody.

the other real odd thing about this is it happened a long time ago, why is it all just coming out now? weren't the victim or victims more vocal to their local press or authorities prior to now?
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
niko
I Run NY.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a5&eref=sihp

Things like this are the problem. That the school allowed him to run camps for small boys. That in 2002 he was banned from having little boys around him, something everyone (including Paterno) knew. Yet in 2007 Paterno allowed him into a closed practice (you don't go to a closed practice wihtout coaches permission) WITH a ten year old boy.

I don't think Paternon did anything criminal. But the simple disregard for the fact that something could have been occuring to little kids is terrible. It's not criminal but it borders on inexcusable not to raise more red flags.

And Godzuki, the parents did raise a fuss and could not get it brought to trial criminally, even though the mom had phone calls to Sandusky where he (literally) says I WISH I COULD TAKE IT BACK and I WISH I WAS DEAD.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

..shifting the responsibility on to someone else. I seriously doubt Paterno, or anyone besides Sandusky, wanted children to be hurt. But of course, that's beside the point. Fact is, Joe Paterno has been the most poweful man on campus for 40 years. For all intents and purposes, Joe hasn't had a boss since he was an assistant. Another poster made the comment that Paterno runs the entire town, and that's pretty accurate. Given his stature and respect in Happy Valley, and all of CFB in general, Paterno should have put his best foot forward and immediately displayed the unwavering leadership that he's so famous for. But it would appear that Joe just didn't wanna be bothered with such an unspeakable situation.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

I say no. Paterno reported whatever he was told to a person who was required by law to go to the authorities so this could be investigated, he had no way of knowing they would break the law.

Nobody speaks about that fact, or the fact that its likely that Paterno would have likely been punished for breaking chain of command had he gone directly to the police without telling his bosses about this ordeal which could have subjected them to a huge lawsuit.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I say no. Paterno reported whatever he was told to a person who was required by law to go to the authorities so this could be investigated, he had no way of knowing they would break the law.

Nobody speaks about that fact, or the fact that its likely that Paterno would have likely been punished for breaking chain of command had he gone directly to the police without telling his bosses about this ordeal which could have subjected them to a huge lawsuit.
i think you are underestimating the huge amount of power he has/had over that university. He practically runs the town. He could have easily pushed for this to be investigated further. He chose not to. Is that a crime? No. But it's absolutely terrible as a human being. He represents that university and right now, not in a very good light.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Yeah seriously, JoePa is the face of that university. He is a living legend. He's not just some ordinary coach. Following protocol then sitting back letting others handle it doesnt fly here. Sandunsky violated innocent kids in his home (which is PSU). He needed to have done more. Really no excuse.

Last edited by GOBB : 11-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Matt Millen was crying on Sportscenter.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

yeah, after reading some of the grand jury report, he was clearly told in 2002 that jerry was anally raping a 10 yr old in the football lockerroom. Now, he told the AD, but they minced it as "inappropriate conduct" or some such. He should step down.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Meeting the legal requirements of reporting it simply mean Paterno shouldn't be prosecuted. Doing just that absolutely means he should be fired.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #29
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

I wonder if/what penalty the NCAA is going to hand out. "Lack of institutional control" is smacked down on programs that have too many players taking payouts. But what happens to a program where the people in charge organize the cover-up of a massive sexual predator on the coaching staff? Destroying the program would be completely unfair to the players but it always is and that hasn't stopped the NCAA the few times it's happened in the past.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #30
phelix2000
Decent playground baller

"According to the indictment, in 2002 assistant coach Mike McQueary, then a Penn State graduate assistant, walked in on Sandusky having **** intercourse with a ten-year-old boy. The next day, he reported the incident to Paterno, who informed Curley. Ultimately, the only action Curley and Schultz took was to order Sandusky not to bring any children from Second Mile to the football building, an action that was approved by school president Graham Spanier. The indictment accused Curley and Schultz of not only failing to tell the police, but falsely telling the grand jury that McQueary never informed them of sexual activity"

Joe Paterno along with the President of Penn State University should be fired for this child molestation incident. Not reporting it to the Police? Come on, what does that tell you about these people?
phelix2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: