Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #946
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - News / Speculation / Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
Early in the movie, I thought that the officer/detective would become Robin. Somehow I missed the "hot headed" connection.
He doesn't become Robin ... he is Robin. But not the corny, red and green elf boot costumed sidekick.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #947
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Got the trilogy BLURAY yesterday....

watching the special features alone is worth the $$$$$...

- evoution of the Batmobile was the best part.

- Nolan is a genius.

sorry..I was geeked.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #948
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

- Nolan is a genius.

sorry..I was geeked.
You messed up. Should've just bought the single release.

Apparently there is a super edition of the trilogy on blu ray coming out in 2013 (near Man of Steel release date) and it's supposed to have even more features.

And possibly the ever elusive director commentary from Nolan, which he is known not to do.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #949
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I got to go get me a copy on bluray. I'm procrastinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

- Nolan is a genius.

sorry..I was geeked.

Good job wasting money
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #950
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Spoilers:
I think the movie was great. I would give it a 10/10, but I suppose if compared to the 1st two, it's more like an 8/10.
I agree with those of you saying Bane's death was corny. It did bother me, too. How are they going to just have the main villain die after getting shot. He's supposed to be some über fighting god, but he ends up dead after one shot?
The only thing about the movie that actually bothered the hell out of me was the fact that nobody seemed to put 2 & 2 together. Bruce Wayne is last seen 8 years ago. Batman is last seen 8 years ago. How the hell don't the people of Gotham realize BW is Batman? Wtf?
Overall, though, I really loved the movie. My complaints were small and far apart. They could've done a better job, but this is probably the best ending to a series of movies I've ever seen. I plan on watching it a 2nd time in theaters next weekend.

You assume people were suspecting Bruce Wayne to be Batman. Its one thing if there was a buzz, a suspicion and gossip over Batman being Bruce Wayne. Then people would have put 2 and 2 together. But that wasnt the case. Robin uncovered him due to a personal encounter and put it together but didnt feel the need to blast him to everyone.

I agree I didnt like how Bane died and also wished the fighting was more intense the 2nd time around.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #951
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll just keep my downloads, I don't love movies enough to buy them for all the extra feature crap.
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #952
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

i realize the discussion is old but i just watched Rises on Saturday.

things i hated:
- 8 year time difference causing Alfred not to age but Bruce looking like he is 50 years old. Same thing with Gordon, the Mayor and Fox.

- I already knew this coming into the movie but i just hate they killed off two-face. he had a short lived crime life. i wanted him to be at least comatose and alive later as two face. i thought maybe nolan could get people to think two face is alive and harvey dent being dead.

- virtually no reference at all to the Joker. I read it was Nolan's idea to give a nod to Heath by not mentioning the Joker character at all. But he was a huge character, didnt see any way to avoid his consequences.

- no batmobile (tumbler). i realize it blew up in TDK and Bane's henchmen were using the ARMY colored versions but didnt feel right without a proper all black tumbler. didnt feel right without a batmobile in the movie.

- the bat still being functional after 3 months of nonuse.

Loved everything else but these are what stood out to me:
- the twist. i know everyone is questioning the usage of Talia but i thought it was a great way to insert her into the final movie to complete the Ra's Al Ghul story arc started in BB. It shows a lot of depth and a complete book-end to a great trilogy.

- Bane. super badass and super genius. that voice was well-executed. I choose to believe he didnt die when Catwoman shot him with the bike cannon. It leaves a better taste in my mouth afterwards.

- Selina. Wasnt great but wasnt bad either. She was good eyecandy that didnt annoy the audience.

In the end of the credits, i felt sadness to know we wont be able to look forward to the next movie of Nolan's Batman. Thats how you know it was a good movie to complete a trilogy

-
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #953
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Read my TDKR review please.

http://freshcutroc.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/ok-this/
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #954
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
- 8 year time difference causing Alfred not to age but Bruce looking like he is 50 years old. Same thing with Gordon, the Mayor and Fox.
I thought Caine as Alfred looked older, not significantly but it's been 4 years since they filmed TDK, so he aged gradually.

Bruce didn't look dramatically older, he's supposed to be in his early 40's in RISES. They just gave him a hint of grey hair around his ears, and the obvious residual physical wear and tear from being a vigilante.

If anything RISES is one of the best films to show passage of time in details. The rusted, hollowed out bat signal. Gotham looking slightly more futuristic with different lighting, and cold grey concrete structures giving a dystopian feel to the film. Bruce's scarring, he even has a scar from the HUGE gash he gets at the start of TDK from the dogs. Little attention to detail like that was fantastic.

And it really gave you the feel that Bruce Wayne sacrificed his body for this ideology and symbol he was striving to create.

Quote:
virtually no reference at all to the Joker. I read it was Nolan's idea to give a nod to Heath by not mentioning the Joker character at all. But he was a huge character, didnt see any way to avoid his consequences.
What? The entire movie set up is due to the Joker's actions in The Dark Knight. The tidal waves are still being felt 8 years later. The Joker's actions have locked Bruce and Gordon in a prison for the duration of that time.

If anything, not showing the Joker or mentioning him gives an even more mystic feel to the character. Much like it's insinuated in TDK. This evil was inspired by the Batman, and came out of no where. With Batman gone, there is no need for a Joker. Him mysteriously vanishing is poetic given how he was introduced. No origin, he's just there.

Quote:
no batmobile (tumbler). i realize it blew up in TDK and Bane's henchmen were using the ARMY colored versions but didnt feel right without a proper all black tumbler. didnt feel right without a batmobile in the movie.
Those new versions of the Batmobile, that Bane uses. The camo ones with new canons, etc. I take it as those were new designs for a Batmobile from Fox in case the Batman ever needed a car again.

But he was more than content with the bat-pod. It's got the canons. It moves effortlessly between alleys, and it symbolizes the whole "knight" vibe he's going for, instead of a horse it's a weaponized bike.

Quote:
the bat still being functional after 3 months of nonuse.
It's actually 5 months that Bruce is away from Gotham. But even then, why wouldn't it work?

It's a state of the art hover craft jet, a few months of nonuse wouldn't mean it couldn't be functional. Plus, at the end it says Bruce fixed the autopilot 6 months prior. If there was something wrong with it, whose to say he didn't fix it then? Just wasn't shown on camera.

Once again, a non issue. A ridiculous nitpick.

Quote:
the twist. i know everyone is questioning the usage of Talia but i thought it was a great way to insert her into the final movie to complete the Ra's Al Ghul story arc started in BB. It shows a lot of depth and a complete book-end to a great trilogy.
And by doing so it gives a plausible, realistic explanation for Ra's Al Ghul being "immortal" like in the comics.

Quote:
Bane. super badass and super genius. that voice was well-executed. I choose to believe he didnt die when Catwoman shot him with the bike cannon. It leaves a better taste in my mouth afterwards.
Why? What was he going to do afterwards? The character served no purposed after getting his ass kicked by Bruce.

How would he not have died, either? Those canons blasted a hole in a stacked car wall blockading the city. If anything, Bane was a champ for taking that fire.

I don't get people's problems with this death. Bane isn't the type to be arrested or taken into custody. His character had to die. Batman wouldn't kill him, so Catwoman being the more ambiguous one morally was the person for the job.

What else was he going to do by that point in the movie? Tell me why and then I will finally see some reasoning as to why it was a crappy way to take out the character (it wasn't)

Quote:
Selina. Wasnt great but wasnt bad either. She was good eyecandy that didnt annoy the audience.
I don't think she was eye candy. Hathaway proved me wrong and made a really interesting character.

She was a strong, maternal feminist type, who played a Robin Hood role in Gotham. She aided Bane to save herself, didn't realize the true plans he had for Gotham and then eventually ended up being very loyal to her city and Bruce.

I actually wish we got more time with her. She was brilliant, had great chemistry w/ Bale, and she was actually convincing. Sexy, without being slutty about things.

I love how her character was an actress who adapts to any situation.

Ending was bitter sweet. Sad to know the greatest comic book movie arc had ended, but sweet in finally having Bruce Wayne attain peace and happiness. Move on with his life, leave the torture of Gotham, and the great Good Will Hunting moment with Alfred to end the film and that amazing Hans Zimmer drum march kicks.

Problems I had:

Film could've been stretched out into two movies. Give more time and resonance to events. They simply tried covering a lot of ground. They did well, but to the untrained eye it comes off as sloppy or bombastic at times.

The "Foley" character was beyond annoying. I get his purpose, but I felt like we got one too many scenes with him.

Besides that, everything was amazing. I am in love with The Batman Returns scene where he goes after Bane and his crew after robbing the Stock Exchange.

"Who turned out all the lights?"

"You're in for a show tonight, son !!"
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #955
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I'll just keep my downloads, I don't love movies enough to buy them for all the extra feature crap.

Stealing money from peoples pockets? Wow Mr Soap Box, what has come over you?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #956
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
You messed up. Should've just bought the single release.

Apparently there is a super edition of the trilogy on blu ray coming out in 2013 (near Man of Steel release date) and it's supposed to have even more features.

And possibly the ever elusive director commentary from Nolan, which he is known not to do.

Wait a year?....

F that....

I couldn't wait to watch all 3 in my Movie Theatre.......

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 12-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #957
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I got to go get me a copy on bluray. I'm procrastinating.

Good job wasting money

- OH NO!!....that 25 dollars

- Not everyone works at Taco Bell......I'm straight wit it.......
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #958
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Stealing money from peoples pockets? Wow Mr Soap Box, what has come over you?
well I did watch all three movies in the movie house, so now I downloaded all 3 for my collection and to watch on my tab :P
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #959
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I agree I didnt like how Bane died and also wished the fighting was more intense the 2nd time around.

I thought the fighting the second go around was pretty awesome. Bane throwing those haymakers into Bats stomach and punching that pillar was sick .. but it ended too quickly. Once they go into the building everything goes down hill from there.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "two leaders" concept either. If Talia and Bane were lovers then maybe, but once it's revealed about Talia being "the one" Bane takes a back seat. He seems to either be in love with her (but not her with him) or working for her as a protector type role (like in the pit).
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #960
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Two problems i had with the movie, which could have been solved with an additional 15 minutes of footage.

1. What does Bane hold over selina?

2. Foundation of doggart and bane/league of shadows. I know he wants to take over wayne enterprises, but build it up.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: