Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-23-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Joel Freeland

I know there's already a topic on this kid, but that has taken a different direction. still, the story on this unkown kid is interesting-

here's an article on him.

Quote:
Freeland wants to go from bags to riches
Date Added: 6/22/2006 12:28:09 PM ET

Here is how 19-year-old Joel Freeland wound up on the Suns practice court Wednesday as a potential first-round pick for next week's NBA draft.

Freeland, who is 6 feet 11, started playing basketball three years ago at the urging of his physical education teacher.

Six months later, he was on an English pro team.

Last year, Freeland quit his $5 per hour job bagging groceries and left a nation that had required him to pay his way to play for England in the European Championships. He played in Spain's fourth division and progressed rapidly.

"I saw him during the season (and) it was, 'OK, good form, good athlete,' " said Marco Crespi, Suns international scouting director. "He improved a lot in the last three months. At Eurocamp last week (in Italy), he impressed everybody."

For him to wind up with the Suns, Phoenix would have to trade into the second round or use its 27th pick (the Suns also have No. 21) and stow him on a European team to save the guaranteed deal's two-year, $1.9 million hit. Regardless, it's an amazing tale.

"My first ever shot was at the three-point line and went over the backboard," said Freeland, a former soccer player. "I said, 'I've got to work at this.' "

As his friends turned to drugs and drinking, he went to the court and never left until his coach told him last year that he had a shot at the NBA this year.

"I couldn't believe it," Freeland said.

[Read More - Paul Coro, Arizona Republic]

link, from draftexpress

as already mentioned, he is a sleeper in the truest sense, since a couple of weeks ago most nba scouts hadn't ever heard of him (not even when the list of early entries went in, since his name wasn't there).

now he is projected to be a late first to second rounder, leaving a particularly good impression at the Rbk Treviso Eurocamp.

interesting story.

Last edited by artificial : 06-23-2006 at 02:14 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: