Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 15,478
Default The NBA disaster draft rules.

If something terrible happens to kill or disable at least 5 players of a team(plane crash...bus crash...something awful) a rule is in place to allow the team to rebuild quickly.

Every NBA team selects 5 players to protect and leaves the rest exposed to a disaster draft to fill the roster of the impacted team. Say...they lose 8 players...they can draft 8...but only one from any team.

When you look at rosters...what do you even get?

Even teams like the Cavs and Warriors....

Cavs protect Lebron, Kyrie, Love, TT, Jr Smith...and....who? Shump maybe? You arent getting anyone from them who matters. Mo Williams maybe.

Warriors have nothing of note after their top 5....

They protect the big 4...then Iggy....you might get a shot at David West or Zaza?

You could add good role players I guess....and it would really add to your depth if somehow you only lost the end of your roster and got to add the 8 best role players in basketball. By the way...that was gonna be the premise of a truly terrible hypothetical scenario I thought up and decided was too outrageous to flesh out.

Anyway you just give them improved depth I guess but nothing to recover from something like that. They should also get the #1 pick the next season like the NFL gives in its disaster draft.

Maybe even 1-2-3. How would that be too much if your team lost like...9 players and had a roster of 6th men?

It could be worse than that really. The Lakers once had to crash land into a snow covered corn field in like 1960. And the Bulls cabin depressurized riding in a shitty plane in I think 95/96.

A roster full of Zazas and Ish Smiths wouldnt cut it.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
warriorfan
NBA Superstar
 
warriorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,107
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

dark yet interesting thread

lets hope peeps can keep it clean...
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
JohnnySic
green is good
 
JohnnySic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,821
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

It would be awful but you cant expect teams to give up their best players.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 15,478
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

Its awful but there is good reason to have the rules in place. This is a crazy world. The way the world is now if im an owner I dont know if I even want my guys going to the Olympics. Speaking of which...if..

You know what? You ever feel awful just thinking of a hypothetical? I just did....but its still a legit question.

What happens if some maniac blows up an olympic event?

If its team USA no single team would lose enough players to trigger the disaster draft.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,646
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Its awful but there is good reason to have the rules in place. This is a crazy world. The way the world is now if im an owner I dont know if I even want my guys going to the Olympics. Speaking of which...if..

You know what? You ever feel awful just thinking of a hypothetical? I just did....but its still a legit question.

What happens if some maniac blows up an olympic event?

If its team USA no single team would lose enough players to trigger the disaster draft.

then you'd just have to deal with it. you'd have cap space
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 15,478
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
It would be awful but you cant expect teams to give up their best players.


Best...maybe not. 5 though?

Eh.

How about top 3?

3 feels like enough. Plus you can only lose one player per team.

The warriors would clearly lose either Klay or Dray. Them aside....nobody has a 4th best player of note. The heat would had Wade stayed....you might get Dragic or Wade....or Bosh if they leave him unprotected because of his medical issues.

Anyway...I just feel like giving the city/team a gang of scumbags is a bit cold.

Its terrible to think of...but someone had to have this meeting. It was discussed...and someone came to the number 5. I just think thats a couple too many.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 15,143
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

NBA expansion draft, you can protect 7

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 07-24-2016 at 06:29 PM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997
 
Meticode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33,230
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

PG - Shaun Livingston
SG - Dion Waiters
SF - Shabazz Muhammad
PF - Jeff Green
C - Bismack Biyombo -or- Al Jefferson -or- Robin Lopez
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997
 
Meticode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33,230
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If something terrible happens to kill or disable at least 5 players of a team(plane crash...bus crash...something awful) a rule is in place to allow the team to rebuild quickly.

Every NBA team selects 5 players to protect and leaves the rest exposed to a disaster draft to fill the roster of the impacted team. Say...they lose 8 players...they can draft 8...but only one from any team.

When you look at rosters...what do you even get?

Even teams like the Cavs and Warriors....

Cavs protect Lebron, Kyrie, Love, TT, Jr Smith...and....who? Shump maybe? You arent getting anyone from them who matters. Mo Williams maybe.

Warriors have nothing of note after their top 5....

They protect the big 4...then Iggy....you might get a shot at David West or Zaza?

You could add good role players I guess....and it would really add to your depth if somehow you only lost the end of your roster and got to add the 8 best role players in basketball. By the way...that was gonna be the premise of a truly terrible hypothetical scenario I thought up and decided was too outrageous to flesh out.

Anyway you just give them improved depth I guess but nothing to recover from something like that. They should also get the #1 pick the next season like the NFL gives in its disaster draft.

Maybe even 1-2-3. How would that be too much if your team lost like...9 players and had a roster of 6th men?

It could be worse than that really. The Lakers once had to crash land into a snow covered corn field in like 1960. And the Bulls cabin depressurized riding in a shitty plane in I think 95/96.

A roster full of Zazas and Ish Smiths wouldnt cut it.
You named 6 players here. LeBron, Kyrie, J.R., Love, Thompson and Iman.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,136
Default Re: The NBA disaster draft rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If something terrible happens to kill or disable at least 5 players of a team(plane crash...bus crash...something awful) a rule is in place to allow the team to rebuild quickly.

Every NBA team selects 5 players to protect and leaves the rest exposed to a disaster draft to fill the roster of the impacted team. Say...they lose 8 players...they can draft 8...but only one from any team.

When you look at rosters...what do you even get?

Even teams like the Cavs and Warriors....

Cavs protect Lebron, Kyrie, Love, TT, Jr Smith...and....who? Shump maybe? You arent getting anyone from them who matters. Mo Williams maybe.

Warriors have nothing of note after their top 5....

They protect the big 4...then Iggy....you might get a shot at David West or Zaza?

You could add good role players I guess....and it would really add to your depth if somehow you only lost the end of your roster and got to add the 8 best role players in basketball. By the way...that was gonna be the premise of a truly terrible hypothetical scenario I thought up and decided was too outrageous to flesh out.

Anyway you just give them improved depth I guess but nothing to recover from something like that. They should also get the #1 pick the next season like the NFL gives in its disaster draft.

Maybe even 1-2-3. How would that be too much if your team lost like...9 players and had a roster of 6th men?

It could be worse than that really. The Lakers once had to crash land into a snow covered corn field in like 1960. And the Bulls cabin depressurized riding in a shitty plane in I think 95/96.

A roster full of Zazas and Ish Smiths wouldnt cut it.

Your team is going to probably suck. I'll go through a few...

Warriors protect Durant, Curry, Klay, Draymond, Iggy -- I'd take Shaun Livingston.

Cavs protect LeBron, Kyrie, Love, TT, JR -- I'd take Iman Shumpert.

Celtics protect Horford, Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Brown -- I'd take Marcus Smart.

Pacers protect George, Turner, Teague, Ellis, Jefferson -- I'd take Thad Young.

Hawks protect Schroder, Millsap, Howard, Bazemore, Korver -- I'd take rookie Taurean Prince or whoever out of the five I listed that they leave unprotected to keep him.

Hornets protect Walker, Batum, Williams, Kidd-Gilchrist, Zeller -- I'd take Frank Kaminsky.

Nuggets protect Gallinari, Faried, Murray, Mudiay, Jokic -- I'd take Jusuf Nurkic.

Blazers protect Lillard, McCollum, Turner, Crabbe, Leonard -- I'd take Al-Farouq Aminu.

Bucks protect Middleton, Antetokounmpo, Parker, Maker, Monroe -- I'd take Mirza Teletovic.

Thunder protect Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo, Kanter, Sabonis -- I'd take Andre Roberson.



Team is awful. I just picked 10 teams at pretty much random, btw... there may be some good ones out there not listed. Boston is a good one because they'd likely have to give up either their rookie, Smart or Bradley. That was the best situation I found. Portland is pretty good, too.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy