Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #61
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Moving to Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I would really consider moving up north once I graduate depending on the opportunity. I think I'm gonna try to make a trip up to Toronto or Montreal during the spring.

Montreal doesn't have too many corporate opportunities, Toronto is much better suited for that...Montreal is all about the clubs, restaurants and services...no one really works lol
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #62
hammer2010
Good High School Starter

hammer2010 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i just split up with a girl who's doing her phd at mcgill, so i spent a little time in montreal, and it was pretty much enough to say the exact same thing. best city in the country that i've been to at least.

maritimer drunkenness is a thing to behold. or is she a newf? i just got called out on that by a newfie a few weeks ago when i suggested that we were maritime brethren. turns out not so much, newfoundland doesn't like to be associated with the rest of the maritimes. lol

She's from PEI. I never heard of that lol. I will always refer to all of you as crazy easterners. Definitely the realest people in Canada. Some of the coolest, funniest and craziest people I have ever met in my life have been from the East coast and maritimes.
hammer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #63
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've lived in both so you need to figure out what your reasons for moving are.

Setting up shop permanently elsewhere? Canada is the better choice, safer communities, friendlier people and more security.

Setting up shop permanently and looking to become rich? US is the better choice, more opportunities for those who are driven to make a lot of money. However, if you are studying to be an engineer or some other job where you'll be highly skilled but have someone else pay your salary Canada might be as good a choice.

Hate winter? US for obvious reasons. Canadians like to think some parts of the country are temperate, but it is all cold bull shit for five months a year.

If you want to keep tabs on the old world and speak your native language, then you need to find out which cities have the most Bulgarians. The danger in this is that you'll just do Bulgarian things, roll with Bulgarian people and speak whatever language it is you guys speak.

If you want to do trade between Bulgaria and your new country (due to your connection to both) the US is likely a better choice.

If you want to go to school there are factors to consider. The US has better top flight schools, but a good Canadian school is better than a mid-range US one.

Despite everything you've read North America is largely the same. Find out what you want to get out of this and then figure out which city serves you best, and you will find your answer.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #64
hammer2010
Good High School Starter

hammer2010 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
Im a final year undergraduate in my country. And as im looking forward to the near future there seems to be no place for me here. If you stay here either you go crazy or dumb. The social envioroment is terrible, im looking to develop and gain new skills, something that wont happen here.

I was thinking about Canada. Its seems like a good place to live in. The economy is good. What are the pros and cons for living in Canada?

What are you studying OP?
hammer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #65
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i'm an east coaster, but right now i'm finishing up my studies in ottawa. a half credit left and i can't wait to get out. i'm planning to explore quite a bit of the country next summer.

what about you?

What place do you study at? Im in my 3rd year at Ottawa university
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #66
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Thanks ISH. I think i got the answers i was looking for.

Canada sounds like the perfect place for me. I like cold weather as odd as it may seems. Also i am looking for a more laid back society and life. Not permanently but i need to get away for a while maybe a year or two. The mentality of the people over here is driving me crazy. Everything is soaked up in corruption and misery.

We have a saying here if a bulgarian goes to hell there will be no need someone to guard him not to escape, because there would be other bulgarians pulling him back. Thats whats going on with immigrants. There are always people that will try to screw you up. Bulgarians society is not a factor when comes to making a decision.

Most likely i wont make any moves until the end of the year, but im gathering information. I will try to explore couple of more opportunities over before leaving. But simply i cant see a decent perspective here. Which is deeply sad because i love my language and culture but i hate contemporary Bulgarian mentality.

Im studying logistics aka supply chain management. The level of education at my university is terrible that why i ordered american textbook this morning.

Many thanks for the replies people. Any addition information is welcome.

Best regards.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #67
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21

I graduated from Ottawa U.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #68
lilbill
Darkness

lilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlilbill is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Got like 5 negs just for saying "it's Canada." OP try moving to a place where people aren't so easily butthurt.
lilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #69
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
i'm at carleton. what the ****s a geegee?

i dunno how many ottawa peeps there are, but if we found enough i'd be down to get together for a scrimmage. i haven't played ball in way too long and not knowing anybody else around here who plays is really taking its toll
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #70
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Didn't realize there was so many people living in Ottawa here hoping I finish up my school\GED and apply to Algonquin college next year.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #71
moaz
Great young streetballer

moaz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
Thanks ISH.

Many thanks for the replies people. Any addition information is welcome.

Best regards.

Before making any plans, u must realize that it is not that easy to come here in the first place. Most of the yearly 250000 new immigrants to Canada have either waited for many years for their application to be processed r are family class immigrants. I was talking with an immigration consultant (non gov) yesterday and she told me that it is now much harder to come here than 2-3 years ago.
A Bulgarian friend of mine (Oxford PhD with a permanent job in Germany) was denied a visa to Canada to take a french language course. But this was 5 years ago. so ask around what is the best way for young Bulgarians to come to Canada. I know that some countries have something called Work & Travel visa program with Canada, where young people can come here for one year and has some kind of work permit.

and btw the real estates in Mississauga/Richmond Hill/ Markham are more expensive than those in Toronto.

Last edited by moaz : 11-16-2011 at 09:02 PM.
moaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #72
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
Pros: Less fat people, better looking girls from my experiences with the states, very little crime, free healthcare, stronger beer (but costs twice as much).

Cons: Higher taxes, fast food is limited, cold winters (minnesota-like in most areas), higher gas prices, crappy television.

I don't think that is accurate among all our jurisdictions.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #73
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I'm going to throw the hat in for Vancouver.
It is the top 5 cities in the world to live in. It may not have the night life of Montreal, or the corperate opportunity of Toronto, but it is the most diverse city in Canada. Lot's of ethnicity, great cuisine, a great cultural melting pot. It's the only city where you got an ocean, drive an hour and you can ski. Hot in the summer, with no mosquitoes, and moderate in the winter, which is a fair trade with a higher amount of rain.
There is a growing community here. Population gets higher and higher. If you don't want to be to populated, there's Victoria, which was actually voted the best city in the world to live in. Like Van but even more chill. BC has pretty much everything for easy living
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Ugh, this is true. The CFL is an embarrassment to the sport of football. Nobody, under any circumstances, should have to watch this shit. I'd rather watch local HS football, I really would, because at least then I'm not expecting them to actually be professionals. God the CFL fucking sucks.

I don't know, I don't really mind CFL. Went to a stamps game a few months ago and had fun. Sure it's not the NFL, but it's alright.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #75
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Dave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaz
and btw the real estates in Mississauga/Richmond Hill/ Markham are more expensive than those in Toronto.
I'm not so sure about that. Knowing people who live in both Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, and Toronto, Toronto is still more expensive. You can get 2800 Sq. Ft. houses for about 400K in Markham and 3500 Sq. Ft. ones for 500k in Sauga, but some places in Toronto near 3000 Sq. Ft. will run you up to the millions.

It depends on the area specifically I think. I know on 16th and Warden there is that group of houses that's starting at 1.5 million and they're all about 4000 Sq. Ft. I believe, but generally, Toronto and North York have some crazy expensive areas.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: