Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default Armegedon - will the Raps survive?

Frankly I wonder.

If this turns out like baseball (Jays pre strike drew 40 and 50 thousand fans) post strike they draw 25 thousand or less.

They havent had a great product - but have had some good teams with promise. The Carlos Delgado/Shawn Greene years. They were in the playoff hunt once I recall around 99 or 01 with the Manager who lied about vietnam.

I mean I know deep pockets MLSE owns them - but if fans give up and start average 5 - 10 thousand a game - deep pockets - corporate pension plan will dump them in a New York heartbeat.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: Armegedon - will the Raps survive?

I don't think there is much danger of this.

If the owners get their way (and I suspect they will for the most part), there should be more parity in the league which will make it more exciting to watch the Raptors. Fan numbers would probably go up, if anything. That's just my take on the situation, judging by what happened with the NHL pre/post lockout.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
bada bing
College star

meh. all i know is that the NBA is gonna go from a big high to a big low. The raps will survive. The game has a lot of fans in toronto. As long as we can put a winning product or a product that shows potential, the raps will be good.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

The Raptors will survive if the owners get what they are looking for. The league will be doomed if they dont.

What the league needs is a hard salary cap and the even playing field that will come with a hard cap.

I don't care if the owners are greedy, they are the ones who put the money up front to buy teams, the assume all the risk, they should be rewarded for their endeavors.

The players/agents are ones who are the problem.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Yeah, let's make the rich even richer
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Yeah, let's make the rich even richer

Are you referring to the players or the owners?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Are you referring to the players or the owners?

That's the key question, because there are some owners who are losing less money with the lockout than playing the games. In that environment there's no way the players win this CBA battle. The current system is crap and needs reform. I know the players are the product, but they carry non of the financial risk of their respective teams in markets like Atlanta where Joe effing Johnson had to be given max dollars to stay. Something has to change.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

The Raps have survived how many terrible seasons now?

They'll survive this.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
bada bing
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
The Raps have survived how many terrible seasons now?

They'll survive this.

we are survivors. regardless of the crap we throw out there we still survive!!! we are just that much awesome!
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Which is ironic since our team is named after an extinct species.. oh well.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
That's the key question, because there are some owners who are losing less money with the lockout than playing the games. In that environment there's no way the players win this CBA battle. The current system is crap and needs reform. I know the players are the product, but they carry non of the financial risk of their respective teams in markets like Atlanta where Joe effing Johnson had to be given max dollars to stay. Something has to change.
Many teams are still making a lot of money, even with the crisis and the current CBA. The value of the franchises shows that they are OK
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/32/...s-11_rank.html
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Which is ironic since our team is named after an extinct species.. oh well.

Well to complete that train of thought...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeM...eature=related
Old 11-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

the hilarious part about this lockout to me is that if the owners were to get their way, we would be one of the teams that would majorly benefit from it. I mean yeah we'd kind of get screwed in terms of a 2011-12 draft pick, but all the different tax penalties, hard cap, trading rules, guaranteed contract length, etc... would mean that it takes away the advantages of big market teams like NY Dallas or LA to spend limitlessly to gain a championship.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
the hilarious part about this lockout to me is that if the owners were to get their way, we would be one of the teams that would majorly benefit from it. I mean yeah we'd kind of get screwed in terms of a 2011-12 draft pick, but all the different tax penalties, hard cap, trading rules, guaranteed contract length, etc... would mean that it takes away the advantages of big market teams like NY Dallas or LA to spend limitlessly to gain a championship.

That's the thing, with this retarded CBA that we currently have, it now costs twice as much to go over the soft cap as in a no-cap league, which only the rich can afford to do. So essentially we have not cap, and poor teams actually have to pay twice as much to compete with their rich rivals than without a cap so they're actually worse off. On top of that, with all the one mid-level exemption and unlimited league-minimums you essentially have a league that is destined to end up like the Miami Heat where you have 2-3 max players, one mid-level and a bunch of league minimums, so the vast majority of the league would benefit from a cap as non-stars would probably make more overall. The parallels to what's happened in the NBA and the income inequality in the States overall is kinda amusing.

I'm not one to support "fat cat" owners in general, but to me they're clearly in the right in this labour stoppage.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

I do get what you're saying, but I don't think that even those "fat cat" owners would be willing to spend THAT much to win a championship anymore. At the end of the day, it is a business. And if their operating costs are suddenly doubled they will most definitely be looking into budget cuts. Things like the 2010-11 Heat would no longer be possible.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: