Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA All-star

Default Harvard Law activists demand free tuition as a matter of racial justice

Quote:
Tuition at the law school will rise to $59,550 for the 2016-2017 academic year, and students are graduating with an average of $149,754 in debt, according to the law school’s website. Reclaim Harvard Law called the trend “outrageous” and asserted, “as a matter of justice, education should be free.”

“The effects of HLS‘ astronomical tuition fees are racially biased,” the group wrote in their letter. “Due to the legacy of centuries of white supremacy and plunder, people of color are less likely to have amassed wealth in the United States. Therefore, these fees disproportionately burden students of color, not only by creating a barrier to attending HLS, but also by constraining the career choices of those who do attend by saddling them with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. How can Harvard Law graduates be expected to advance justice or the well-being of society when they are forced to make career decisions based on paying off this burdensome debt?”

The group did not provide any proposals on how Harvard Law School could feasibly do away with tuition, saying, “answering this is the very job we are paying extraordinary amounts of money for them to do.”

“As with many of the school’s other policies and practices, the secrecy of the school has hamstrung discussion of how to make improvements,” the group wrote. “For this reason, we demand transparency — inform us how you are spending our money.

“Along with the elimination of tuition at HLS, we demand transparency in all the information related to the budget and the measures the administration is taking to end tuition,” the letter continued. “The information and plan of action should be clear and accessible to all current and prospective students. We, as concerned alumni and students, refuse to remain complicit in supporting a predatory student debt industry.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...tion-as-a-mat/
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Default Re: Harvard Law activists demand free tuition as a matter of racial justice

It's a matter of justice. People should give me education for free. They should also give me cotton and tobacco for free.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
UK2K
NBA All-star

Default Re: Harvard Law activists demand free tuition as a matter of racial justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
It's a matter of justice. People should give me education for free. They should also give me cotton and tobacco for free.
There's a very good possibility his ancestors have been in the states longer than mine.

But I still owe him.
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Long Duck Dong
Dunking on everybody in the park

Teacher tenure is also racist.

Educators taking Ls left and right. But...but they tend to vote Democrat. Doesn't that count for something?
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
NikolaTesla
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I have no issue with free education, but this is a silly argument to use.
NikolaTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Its a private school and going there is a choice so no, it should not be free. There are better things you could be devoting activist energies to than "I want to be a well-paid lawyer and I want the education to do it to be free because justice or whatever"
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Patrick Chewing
New Jack Hustler

Such a travesty that food, healthcare, and tuition is not free in this country.

And we dare call ourselves the greatest country in the world??
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Being 150K in debt is a SMALL PRICE to pay for getting an education that SHOULD make them millionaires in the future
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

Vote Sanders
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
The group did not provide any proposals on how Harvard Law School could feasibly do away with tuition

^Bernie Sanders or even possibly Drumpf supporters.

Terrible reasoning on their parts. I'm assuming they won't make very good lawyers if this is a sample of their argument prowess.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
poido123
#Whatisdeadmayneverdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Vote Sanders

why bother?

race is over. We know who will be the two candidates, let's be honest.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: