Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #151
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kblaze will use this topic to record his random thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
I'm not sure about the ones who don't know sign language though.
thatís a really fascinating question IMO. my thoughts form in spoken words, for sure.

without those, i think images and writing are my backups. without those, probably movies would play, like in dreams. either way, the brain regions would be there... still doing something in the form of thinking.

but i donít think thereís any question that language greatly helps to articulate thought. it is unquestionably directly responsible for huge leaps towards sophisticated living and tribal arrangements... then agriculture... then civilisation.

without precise language, precise ideas cannot be easily communicated.

i just read an article which claimed that neanderthals could basically do everything that sapiens did, such as art, sophisticat3d tool-making, and language. they were the only other ape besides us that could talk with the full vocal range of modern humans, apparently.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #152
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ive been discussing this....

One guy did assume they think in sign language. But what would someone born deaf before sign language think?

Or...what would you think if born in the wild never hearing humans speak?

Its hard to even imagine non "verbal" thinking in advanced ways. Problem solving....decision making.

I bet one could be trained to think non verbally but it would be nearly impossible once you have learned to speak and know words.

Its like...a whole other kind of thought our brain never has to work on. Maybe thats that percentage of our brain going unused. Though ive been told that is nowhere near the 90% the myth says it is.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #153
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Its like...a whole other kind of thought our brain never has to work on. Maybe thats that percentage of our brain going unused. Though ive been told that is nowhere near the 90% the myth says it is.

iver heard its analgous to your house.

you are never in all rooms of your house at once, you use them at different times. but that doesnt mean that if you are in your kitchen, that the other rooms in your house are going to waste.

you only use 10% of your brain at one time.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #154
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
...you only use 10% of your brain at one time.
sorry, urban legend.

scientists never actually thought that. look it up sometime.

it doesnít make sense, anyway. other humans who used even 11% would have out-survived, out-competed 10%íers over time. etc.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #155
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Ive been discussing this....

One guy did assume they think in sign language. But what would someone born deaf before sign language think?

Or...what would you think if born in the wild never hearing humans speak?

Its hard to even imagine non "verbal" thinking in advanced ways. Problem solving....decision making.

I bet one could be trained to think non verbally but it would be nearly impossible once you have learned to speak and know words.

We already partially think non verbally in our every day lives. When your mind brings memories and images in to context that is still a form of thinking.

The way I was taught to understand it was think about a tree. Got it? You don't think of the word "tree". You dont see the letters or the word. You see what you percieve a tree to be.

I'd assume those people who can't really think in language, think in images of perceptions.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #156
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I saved a hummingbird yesterday....

Girl at work saw it on the floor in a corner and asked me to see if it was ok. She also said "And dont kill it!" as if im...just that type of guy. I was almost offended she felt the need to ask me not to kill a hummingbird.

Anyway...I thought it was dead but it wasnt. It was barely moving. I assumed it must have gotten stuck inside and its super fast metabolism must have it starving to death.

So I poked a bunch of holes in a cardboard box and got a coffee cup and painted a red mark on it with a marker(they are attracted to red...which is why thats the color of hummingbird feeders). I put him(I decided its a male...males are the colorful ones) in the box and mixed some sugar from by the coffee in with some bottled water. Poked a tiny ass hole in the cup with a paper clip so the sugar water just barely dripped out. I intended to see if it would eat the sugar water out of the hole through the cup but it was too weak to get up. So instead I took a plastic stirrer and got some of the "nectar" in it and dripped it onto the end of its beak. It just lay there looking dead.

Seemed kinda hopeless:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/7014/wns6.jpg

So I kinda leaned its mouth into the water....

After a while it started drinking it

http://imageshack.us/a/img30/6686/pkav.jpg

Slowly. but it was clearly sucking it up.

And after a while it just stood up. It didnt try to fly. Just stood up. So I put it on the cup with the sugarwater/hole/red dot and it was trying to kinda get at the drops. Then I decided...**** it. Im invested now. And I went and copped it a feeder.

So now:

By the end of the day he was actually kinda strong. Not flying but...up and about.

I gave him to the ho who was so concerned I might kill him. She said she would take care of it. Shes an animal ass ho.

I named him Reggie. As in Reggie Theus. But I didnt tell her the Theus part. That ho doesnt know Reggie Theus...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #157
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

-10 hell points..

- on a real note....that's cool....

- Humming Birds are pretty amazing creatures.....and it's really rare that you got to see one up close like that.

AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #158
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

The bird died yesterday. I'll be pouring some out for him shortly.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #159
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A hummingbird dropped dead out of the sky inches from hitting my face a couple years back. It was scary and amazing at the same time.
Iirc correctly, I shared a pic on here of the corpse, but I doubt I'll find it now.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #160
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
The bird died yesterday. I'll be pouring some out for him shortly.

You should probably tell the girl that you did kill it.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #161
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Important question....

Talib Kwelis verse on Respiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYeTjeRJ84

or Mos Defs verse on Thieves in the Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjxtRehIz2Y
Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #162
ArbitraryWater
Gay Republican

ArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterArbitraryWater is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Important question....

Talib Kwelis verse on Respiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYeTjeRJ84

or Mos Defs verse on Thieves in the Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjxtRehIz2Y

Mos Defs... didn't even know the rapper above
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #163
BuffaloBill
WANTED

BuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

try any new beef jerky lately KBlaze?
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #164
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Odd you should mention that...im planning to go here this week:

http://scjerky.com/index.php/beef-jerky.html/
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #165
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Tell us about South Carolina. You seem too intelligent to be living in a backwater like that. Like you should be in a big metro somewhere, doing big things.

I can't even name a city in the state off the top of my head.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: