Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Free Agency! Who?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think Gasol could play at PF if Val turns out awesome. But then what do you do with Ed Davis? IMO, he showed some nice promise last year. Then the Raptors will likely have a top pick in a draft filled with PFs and Cs at the top of it. It's tough to project who is going to be at PF and C going forward on this team. I think Valanciuns is a safe assumption at C for now. PF? Who knows. I personally like Ed Davis but if there's a star PF in the draft next year the Raptors can draft him, you go for it.

Gasol can't play PF.He is a Center...to heavy and slow to play PF. It's easier for Val to play PF.

However I would like to let the kids play.... and wait next season to use the money. One cheap veteran to back up Bargnani it's ok.... andmay come back Reggie Evans.
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The way I see the Raptors frontcourt in a year or when they're ready to compete for a good playoff spot:

C - Valanciunas
PF - Ed Davis or 2012 1st rounder (with Davis traded)

Amir Johnson - Primary backup
Bargnani - Gone
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
I think Gasol could play at PF if Val turns out awesome. But then what do you do with Ed Davis? IMO, he showed some nice promise last year. Then the Raptors will likely have a top pick in a draft filled with PFs and Cs at the top of it. It's tough to project who is going to be at PF and C going forward on this team. I think Valanciuns is a safe assumption at C for now. PF? Who knows. I personally like Ed Davis but if there's a star PF in the draft next year the Raptors can draft him, you go for it.

I'm not sure that Gasol could handle the PF duties full time and with Ed Davis showing some nice promise last season as well as Amir Johnson being a very nice energy player at the position on a contract that is a bit high for his worth, making him probably a hard trade.

Not to mention that if management is set on keeping Bargnani after Val comes over then we have a serious log jam at PF.

My preference is to go with a 1 year stop gap at C.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Not to mention that if management is set on keeping Bargnani after Val comes over then we have a serious log jam at PF.
Let's hope they get over that thought very quickly.

I don't see Amir or Bargnani as viable starters at any position if you want to be a good team. I don't see how anyone could. I think Amir is a solid value as a backup playing ~26 minutes or so with his contract.

I am completely against signing a 1-year stopgap C because the only player that will be hurt by that is Ed Davis. You know they'll forcefeed Bargnani minutes regardless of his performance. Amir will get minutes too since he's getting paid and has been around longer.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
The way I see the Raptors frontcourt in a year or when they're ready to compete for a good playoff spot:

C - Valanciunas
PF - Ed Davis or 2012 1st rounder (with Davis traded)

Amir Johnson - Primary backup
Bargnani - Gone

Is the reason you would be trading Ed Davis in this scenario be that Ed Davis would have more value than Davis?

From a purely talent standpoint, I would rather have Davis as the backup in this case. He younger, more room to grow, higher ceiling.

I really like Ed Davis. Solid big man...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Is the reason you would be trading Ed Davis in this scenario be that Ed Davis would have more value than Davis?
Exactly. If Davis good but the Raptors draft some All-Star caliber PF next year, Davis should have more value as a trade chip than a bench player. Lots of "ifs" though.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
I am completely against signing a 1-year stopgap C because the only player that will be hurt by that is Ed Davis. You know they'll forcefeed Bargnani minutes regardless of his performance. Amir will get minutes too since he's getting paid and has been around longer.

Can't see them going into the season without a 4th big man that can actually play a little on the roster.

A Kwame Brown, Antonio McDyess or Joel Pryzbilla type won't harm Ed Davis.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #23
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation

I think at this point, standing pat is the best choice here.
You have Calderon and Bayless
Derozen and Barbo
James Johnson and Kleiza
Ed Davis and Amir
Bargs 1 year back-up to play 8-10 minutes a game

Let the young guys play, get a high draft pick, bring in him and Val.
This gives you a year to evaluate if Bargs fits and who else you want to keep around long term, or to maybe build up his trade value. Barbosa comes off the books, Calderon would be going into his last year the year after. Just build a defensive culture with your new coach, play an entertaining brand of basketball and if you win 30 games, it would be a highly successful season.

The raps are actually in a good position moving forward. They potentially could be bringing in two frachise players in the draft. Would be nice to get a great point guard to replace Calderon, or a great 3 man with an all-around game in the draft. If Val comes in as a sure star, then they could trade Bargs for a quality 3 man, or even point guard.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

I actually like the idea of signing Kwame Brown or even Greg Oden if no one else wants him. Why not both, then with Bargninny we will have collected the complete set of Number One Pick Busts of the 2000s.

Seriously though Kwame has matured and is a solid post defender. Not much else, but for the right price and a short contract, he would be useful. And Oden would be even more intriguing, he actually still has potential to be a solid starting center if he ever slims down and can somehow stay healthy.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Hopefully no one.

I wouldn't have minded Marc Gasol or Deandre Jordan but I have hope in Valanciunas. Although you could probably play Gasol at PF, maybe? Other than those two, I don't see any reasonable signings that would be smart for the long-run.

i think memphis have made it clear that they are willing to match any offer on Gasol. I have high hopes for Valanciunas, he has better touch around the basket and has a better post game than Jordan had at 18 or 19. Not quite the physical specimen but he's a workhorse on the court which i like

Raptors chasing Nene though? Why? He's made it clear he wants:

A) $$$$$$$$

B) to play for a contender
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: