Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #16
Lucifer
Banned

Lucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputationLucifer has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Am i the only that Feels that Dwight Howard is overrated?

If there were more Dwight Howards in the league then yeah.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
Jason Richardson had his career high in PPG when playing for GS when he created for his self display the ability to shoot it, post up and slash to the rim. Richardson doesnt need any to create his shot for him. He's capable.

Don't get me wrong I love JRich and he's a straight baller, but him being the second best player just shows how much Dwight carried that team. That's all I'm saying. They won 52 games.

He was not very efficient with the Warriors and that was a very offensively oriented system. JRich can create for himself, just not as a second option on the Magic.

Just because he had his career high in PPG doesn't mean those were his best years. His biggest contributions came later.

You can't tell me Nash didn't make him better...Nash made everybody better.
Pushxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #18
Queen Cavalier
I LUV, BUT WE SUXXX

Queen Cavalier is a pretty well-respected posterQueen Cavalier is a pretty well-respected posterQueen Cavalier is a pretty well-respected posterQueen Cavalier is a pretty well-respected poster

no, superman 2 is not overrated.
Queen Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #19
I.R.Beast
National High School Star

I.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong wayI.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
Don't get me wrong I love JRich and he's a straight baller, but him being the second best player just shows how much Dwight carried that team. That's all I'm saying. They won 52 games.

He was not very efficient with the Warriors and that was a very offensively oriented system. JRich can create for himself, just not as a second option on the Magic.

Just because he had his career high in PPG doesn't mean those were his best years. His biggest contributions came later.

You can't tell me Nash didn't make him better...Nash made everybody better.

no such thing as "making player better"...Nash gave him easier shots, the skill was always there. Nash made noone. Dirk was dirk when Nash left, Marion was Marion before Nash came, Amare is still Amare without Nash, making players better is a Myth and it insinuates that you're giving your teammates abilities they didnt have before they played with you. Under the only circumstance would i would agree with the term making players better if it's from a standpoint of helping that player work on their shot advising them in TOs bestowing knowledge of the game. A good example would be that Kobe doing Work ESPN documentary where it showed how he interacted with teammates.
I.R.Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #20
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
no such thing as "making player better"...Nash gave him easier shots, the skill was always there. Nash made noone. Dirk was dirk when Nash left, Marion was Marion before Nash came, Amare is still Amare without Nash, making players better is a Myth and it insinuates that you're giving your teammates abilities they didnt have before they played with you. Under the only circumstance would i would agree with the term making players better if it's from a standpoint of helping that player work on their shot advising them in TOs bestowing knowledge of the game. A good example would be that Kobe doing Work ESPN documentary where it showed how he interacted with teammates.
I think what that phrase mean is you create easier looks for your teammates which most great players do. You can do this either through exceptional passing or by attracting 1.5 or two defenders.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected poster

I think he's overrated too. The passing thing is very important because IMO it's what separates dominant post players from black holes. For example, Shaq and Hakeem were undeniably better scorers from the post, but that doesn't mean that they thought it beneficial to never pass. They both had seasons of averaging 4+ assists which is great for a center. He also has no range and can be single teamed.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #22
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

There are no real centers around so it's impossible to not overrate him today's league.

Just couple of hustle players & soft shooting big men left.
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #23
I.R.Beast

I.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong wayI.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
I think what that phrase mean is you create easier looks for your teammates which most great players do. You can do this either through exceptional passing or by attracting 1.5 or two defenders.

In no way does that phrae imply "create easier looks" and that's not what people mean when they use the term, hence the term is not assosciated with very many of the superstars in this league. Kobe has always made easier looks for his teammates, but it was said that "he doesnt make his teammates better" so that most definately cannot be what the phrase means
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
hoop_soup
Can barely lace up my sneakers

hoop_soup has an OK reputation so far

He's the best center in the game by a lot. He's at worst a top 3 player in the NBA. But I do agree with you in one sense, I don't think he could win as the only star player. While he is great offensively, in crunch time teams will just use the hack-a-shaq on him, he needs a great scorer, go to guy, to win games. We saw it in last years playoffs.
hoop_soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 AM   #25
I.R.Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop_soup
He's the best center in the game by a lot. He's at worst a top 3 player in the NBA. But I do agree with you in one sense, I don't think he could win as the only star player. While he is great offensively, in crunch time teams will just use the hack-a-shaq on him, he needs a great scorer, go to guy, to win games. We saw it in last years playoffs.
top 3 player?.....hell no man... The skills it requires for me consider him a top 3 player just isnt there..... Wade James, Durant, Dirk KoBe, that already for players better than dwight.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #26
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yes, you are.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #27
talkingconch
College superstar

talkingconch is considered somewhat cooltalkingconch is considered somewhat cool

Is Dwight howard overrated?

NO
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #28
senelcoolidge
College star

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

Howard is one of the best big men in the game today. But I think he is a little over rated. This past season he finally showed decent offensive moves. But he still has no range and is not refined. Luckily the NBA is in an ice age for centers, so Howard can't be revealed for his flaws by real centers.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #29
kilmor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

kilmor has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
top 3 player?.....hell no man... The skills it requires for me consider him a top 3 player just isnt there..... Wade James, Durant, Dirk KoBe, that already for players better than dwight.

skill wise yes, but when production wise, dwight can easily be mentioned as top 3 player, and the way he impacts on the defensive end is unmatched in the nba right now
kilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
He's the best C by default. The cream of the Crop of Big men are at the power forward position.

And that adds to his value and effectiveness if anything because now more than ever, you're not going to find someone at the center position who is going to come close to replacing his impact. Because of that, he's the most irreplaceable player in the NBA.

Quote:
Howard's fundamentals are still poor, He gets lost in games too often. He's very inconsistnet in regards to his point output night in and night out.

No he's not. He averaged 23 ppg and topped 20 points in 51 of the 78 games he played and 5 of the 6 playoff games. He failed to score 15 in just 11 regular season games and 1 playoff game.

Quote:
Simply put he is not a Dominant. He's fools gold against an inferior opponent. His poor passing ability makes him most of the time incapable of capitalizing on the defense doubling him, His lack of a face-up game makes him very human from 5+ feet away from the rim.

His passing isn't great, but he can drive to the basket, actually he had that ability before his back to the basket game started to consistently look impressive, and he did show an ability to hit a 12-15 foot bank shot throughout last season.

As far as opponents? His two 40+ point games in the regular season came against playoff teams, 1 being the best defensive team in the league and both being 55+ win teams. His other one of course, came in the playoffs. He also dropped 39 on one of those same teams and 39 vs another playoff team(Portland). In fact, out of his 16 regular season 30+ games, 9 came against playoff teams. And of course, he had 2 more in the playoffs.

Quote:
His low post moves while improving a bit are still quite lacking.

No, they're not. He was pretty damn consistent last season with his spins, left and right-handed jump hooks, short bank shots ect.

Quote:
His rebounding overrates him greatly, especially when you take into consderation how many "cheap" rebounds a game a big man will get.

Now it seems like you're really grasping at straws.

Quote:
His greatest contribution will always be his defense. Howard has no business being a primary option on offense.

And how many players last season were more suited in your opinion? And by primary option what do you mean? He got to the finals as the number 1 option 2 years ago and he wasn't the player he is now.

Dwight's ability to basically turn a team of poor/average defenders into a good defensive team by himself and the fact that he's arguably the best rebounder at his position makes him valuable enough. Then you had the 23 ppg on 59% shooting....

Quote:
He did not Carry the magic to the finals....Thats Magic team that went to the finals was stacked, and if i rmember Correctly there was lot of Hedo turkoglu and Jameer nelosn invlolved in that successful season.

He was still their best player by far. Put up 20/15/3 on 60% that run, average 26/13/3 on 65% in the ECF and closed out Cleveland with 40/14/4. Turkoglu was fairly inconsistent that run, and valuable, but not even an all-star. The fact that you thought Nelson was a big part of their finals run shows you shouldn't be talking about that run. Nelson didn't even play until the finals and they would've been better off if he hadn't.

Quote:
23 ppg is not dominant given the fact that the Center position is watered down to the point where he faces an undersized center on most nights. He's a Center most of his points come on easy putbacks and dunks..i would hope he can get 20 points on 15 shots or less, and factor in all the freethrows from the hack a howard.

23 ppg at the center position is no easier than it's ever been given the rules and how the game is played. Maybe defense was better from '98-'04, but the rules also favored centers more than now.

And he does NOT get most of his points from easy put backs and dunks.

Dwight had 227 dunks in 78 games, that's 2.9 per game and 5.8 ppg......out of 22.9 total ppg. That's not even close to being half of his points.

And put backs? He averages 4 offensive rebounds per game. Obviously a lot of those dunks come from put backs so this total can't be tacked on to his points from dunks, and he doesn't score on every put back.

Lets say that on those 4 offensive rebounds, he finishes 2 shots, gets foul once and either misses the last one or passes it back. That's probably 5-6 ppg off put backs.

Quote:
Dwight Howard is definately good, i just dont believe he belongs in the same Breath as Wade, Lebron, Dirk Kobe, Rose etc.

Not to be mentioned in the same breath as Rose? You have that backwards, Rose shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Dwight.

And Kobe? Not if we're going by last season when Dwight was considerably better than Kobe throughout the year.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: