Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Valanciunas to play in NBA this season ?

The Toronto Raptors drafted Jonas Valanciunas with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 NBA draft knowing it would be at least a year before he came to the NBA.

But a source close to the team told ESPN.com on Saturday that there's a small chance they might be able to get him this season.

The source said that the team reached out to Valanciunas' agent over the weekend to gauge the center's interest in joining the Raptors in 2011-12. If Valanciunas has interest, the Toronto would have to work out a buyout with his team in Lithuania, Lietuvos Rytas.

Valanciunas does not currently have an NBA buyout for this season in his overseas deal, but things have changed for Lietuvos Rytas over the past five months. They failed to qualify for the Euroleague this season and the team will likely lose critical sponsorship money. Given the current situation, they need money more than Valanciunas.

Does the Lithuanian center want to come to the NBA this season? Valanciunas told NBA teams prior to the draft that he felt he needed at least one more year in Europe to get stronger and play more minutes at the highest level before coming abroad.

But the Raptors believe Valanciunas may be better served by joining the NBA now. The 19-year-old big man spent the entire summer and fall playing in Lithuania, giving him valuable experience. He showed what he was capable of in U-19 play, averaging a tournament-high 23 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game to lead Lithuania to the gold medal. Against Team USA and Florida's Patric Young, a projected first-rounder in 2012, Valanciunas had 30 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks.

With the shortened NBA season, expectations also won't be as high. If Valanciunas came to the Raptors, he can practice with the team, get minutes off the bench and use the season to acclimatize to the NBA. By the start of training camp next fall, the Raptors believe he would be ahead of where he would be if he stayed in Europe.

If the Raptors are able to get Valanciunas now, it will be a major coup. Many NBA scouts believe he was the best long-term big man prospect in the 2011 draft and Toronto has a major need at the 5.

The news would also come as a blow to the Cavs. Cleveland had been high on Valanciunas and was expected to select him with the No. 4 pick. However, concerns about his buyout situation in Lithuania arose the week before the draft and the Cavs opted to play it safe and instead take Texas' Tristan Thompson after taking Duke's Kyrie Irving with the first pick. Had they known Valanciunas could come over this season, they likely would've taken him at No. 4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ba-this-season

Last edited by Clutch : 12-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Valanciunas to play in NBA this season ?

Colangolo has already brought out Valanciusnas contract for next season, so he is for sure coming to the NBA next year. But it will be awesome to have him start giving him some NBA burn earlier then later. I'm digging this.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
Colangolo has already brought out Valanciusnas contract for next season, so he is for sure coming to the NBA next year. But it will be awesome to have him start giving him some NBA burn earlier then later. I'm digging this.
I would also love to see him in the NBA this year.
He would be a possible ROY candidate.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch

The Toronto Raptors drafted Jonas Valanciunas with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 NBA draft knowing it would be at least a year before he came to the NBA.

But a source close to the team told ESPN.com on Saturday that there's a small chance they might be able to get him this season.

The source said that the team reached out to Valanciunas' agent over the weekend to gauge the center's interest in joining the Raptors in 2011-12. If Valanciunas has interest, the Toronto would have to work out a buyout with his team in Lithuania, Lietuvos Rytas.

Valanciunas does not currently have an NBA buyout for this season in his overseas deal, but things have changed for Lietuvos Rytas over the past five months. They failed to qualify for the Euroleague this season and the team will likely lose critical sponsorship money. Given the current situation, they need money more than Valanciunas.

Does the Lithuanian center want to come to the NBA this season? Valanciunas told NBA teams prior to the draft that he felt he needed at least one more year in Europe to get stronger and play more minutes at the highest level before coming abroad.

But the Raptors believe Valanciunas may be better served by joining the NBA now. The 19-year-old big man spent the entire summer and fall playing in Lithuania, giving him valuable experience. He showed what he was capable of in U-19 play, averaging a tournament-high 23 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game to lead Lithuania to the gold medal. Against Team USA and Florida's Patric Young, a projected first-rounder in 2012, Valanciunas had 30 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks.

With the shortened NBA season, expectations also won't be as high. If Valanciunas came to the Raptors, he can practice with the team, get minutes off the bench and use the season to acclimatize to the NBA. By the start of training camp next fall, the Raptors believe he would be ahead of where he would be if he stayed in Europe.

If the Raptors are able to get Valanciunas now, it will be a major coup. Many NBA scouts believe he was the best long-term big man prospect in the 2011 draft and Toronto has a major need at the 5.

The news would also come as a blow to the Cavs. Cleveland had been high on Valanciunas and was expected to select him with the No. 4 pick. However, concerns about his buyout situation in Lithuania arose the week before the draft and the Cavs opted to play it safe and instead take Texas' Tristan Thompson after taking Duke's Kyrie Irving with the first pick. Had they known Valanciunas could come over this season, they likely would've taken him at No. 4.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ba-this-season

money is not an issue for the raps but i'd honestly like for him to continue to develop overseas and try to be "the guy" on a squad before coming over

a coach with rytas used to be an assistant for Casey in minny and they are using pretty much the same system the raptors are going to use so either way it will be a learning experience
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Clutch
Stop flopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
money is not an issue for the raps but i'd honestly like for him to continue to develop overseas and try to be "the guy" on a squad before coming over

a coach with rytas used to be an assistant for Casey in minny and they are using pretty much the same system the raptors are going to use so either way it will be a learning experience
I don't know what's best for him but I know for sure that I would like to see him in Raptors jersey this season.
He is exactly the opposite of Bargnani,I would like to see how those 2 would work.
Bargnani is a good shooter but can't rebound and defend while Valanciunas has a nice post play and is an excellent rebounder.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I don't know what's best for him but I know for sure that I would like to see him in Raptors jersey this season.
He is exactly the opposite of Bargnani,I would like to see how those 2 would work.
Bargnani is a good shooter but can't rebound and defend while Valanciunas has a nice post play and is an excellent rebounder.

agree with this post.

Maybe BC wants to experiment with that combination because there are already teams interested in Bargnani and he might not get another chance to save his "no. 1 pet" project
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Have you watched Val's games this year? I've caught about half of them and always check up on the boxscore. That team is not a good fit for his development. He is used sparingly on offence, rarely gets touches despite being incredibly efficient. They don't really have a pg so nobody sets up, calderon on the other hand, would be a great complimentary player considering that they both excel at the p&r game.

In addition, Rytas has no interest in developing him properly because he isn't in their future plans. They are looking out for their own interest.

He comes here, gets acclimated to the NBA rules, north american lifestyle, etc in a shortened season so that by next year he can already make an impact.

This move will also temper BC from being too trigger happy just to make lukewarm fans and ownership happy this year. A new young face will bring excitement without having to spend the cap on a stop-gap solution that will hurt us long term.

I don't see how anyone can see this as negative. An import this year would be a big feather in BC's cap
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Have you watched Val's games this year? I've caught about half of them and always check up on the boxscore. That team is not a good fit for his development. He is used sparingly on offence, rarely gets touches despite being incredibly efficient. They don't really have a pg so nobody sets up, calderon on the other hand, would be a great complimentary player considering that they both excel at the p&r game.

In addition, Rytas has no interest in developing him properly because he isn't in their future plans. They are looking out for their own interest.

He comes here, gets acclimated to the NBA rules, north american lifestyle, etc in a shortened season so that by next year he can already make an impact.

This move will also temper BC from being too trigger happy just to make lukewarm fans and ownership happy this year. A new young face will bring excitement without having to spend the cap on a stop-gap solution that will hurt us long term.

I don't see how anyone can see this as negative. An import this year would be a big feather in BC's cap

the majority of fans i know are content with the fact that we are going to suck. period.

never said that bringing him over was "negative" I said it is a learning experience for him either way

I agree with the fact that rytas has already moved on, but I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that he is 19 and still a project at this stage in his career and they know this best of all
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
the majority of fans i know are content with the fact that we are going to suck. period.

never said that bringing him over was "negative" I said it is a learning experience for him either way

I agree with the fact that rytas has already moved on, but I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that he is 19 and still a project at this stage in his career and they know this best of all

You obviously don't know the majority of fans. The puckheads will for sure call out BC for sitting on his ass not improving the team.
The average fan knows nothing about rebuilding or tanking, they want a decent product on the floor, if not winning then at least entertaining. Having Val will give me, and im sure a lot of other fans, an extra reason to tune in and watch them get blown out, day in day out.

and while you didn't say it was a negative you mentioned you preferred to have him over there. I see absolutely no reason for that.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

euro twin towers if it pans out
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
You obviously don't know the majority of fans. The puckheads will for sure call out BC for sitting on his ass not improving the team.
The average fan knows nothing about rebuilding or tanking, they want a decent product on the floor, if not winning then at least entertaining. Having Val will give me, and im sure a lot of other fans, an extra reason to tune in and watch them get blown out, day in day out.

and while you didn't say it was a negative you mentioned you preferred to have him over there. I see absolutely no reason for that.

yes if you take it out of context it makes no sense

the rationale is that bringing him over may stunt his development seeing as we have no solid team or veteran leadership to support a young player like him

Having him or not having him, i will be watching, that is MY perspective and the perspective i share with the raps fans I know

personally not a puckhead, and frankly they are the reasons for the mediocre rebuilding process. We've only been out of the playoffs for two years, but we were never a contender, or a possible 2nd round team at that

the only thing that makes sense is taking our time in this process, which is another reason why there is no rush IMO for Val to come over but that regardless it will be a learning experience, like i said in my post above in case you missed it
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
yes if you take it out of context it makes no sense

the rationale is that bringing him over may stunt his development seeing as we have no solid team or veteran leadership to support a young player like him

the only thing that makes sense is taking our time in this process, which is another reason why there is no rush IMO for Val to come over but that regardless it will be a learning experience, like i said in my post above in case you missed it

I didn't miss it. I was refuting your point because his development will be more stunted by limited minutes and almost no touches or plays drawn out for him over there. He will also have an extra year to get used to NA and the NBA in a shortened season.

Watch his next few games, it's really maddening the way the coach utilizes the big man, especially when he is such a + on the defensive end, he should be somewhat rewarded on offence. The lack of a pass first pg really hurts him
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

The Cavs are really going to regret passing on this kid. Tristian Thompson might turn out to be pretty good but his potential isn't as high as Valanciunas'.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
I didn't miss it. I was refuting your point because his development will be more stunted by limited minutes and almost no touches or plays drawn out for him over there. He will also have an extra year to get used to NA and the NBA in a shortened season.

Watch his next few games, it's really maddening the way the coach utilizes the big man, especially when he is such a + on the defensive end, he should be somewhat rewarded on offence. The lack of a pass first pg really hurts him

he would thrive with a pass first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUzbq...eature=related
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:

The guy's got such great hands for a big man. Plus a quick first jump and he also seems very aware of his surroundings. To me, he is the franchise right now. I have a very good feeling about this kid.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: