Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default Valanciunas May Join Raptors This Season

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors drafted Jonas Valanciunas with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 NBA draft knowing it would be at least a year before he came to the NBA.

But a source close to the team told ESPN.com on Saturday that thereís a small chance they might be able to get him this season.

The source said that the team reached out to Valanciunasí agent over the weekend to gauge the centerís interest in joining the Raptors in 2011-12. If Valanciunas has interest, the Toronto would have to work out a buyout with his team in Lithuania, Lietuvos Rytas.

via Chad Ford of ESPN
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Valanciunas May Join Raptors This Season

I thought rules prevented teams from buying out players from europe. Aren't they only allowed to contribute a small amount and the player has to come up with the rest of the money?
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I thought rules prevented teams from buying out players from europe. Aren't they only allowed to contribute a small amount and the player has to come up with the rest of the money?
That's what I thought too. Like $500K being the max the team can actually contribute to the buyout. Unless that has been changed in the new CBA.

As much as I'd like to see him, would he really be ready to play bigger (20+) minutes? If not, it might be a bit of a waste to start his NBA contract right away. But given how bad the Raptors are, I'm sure they can throw him into the fire.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I also thought the rules made it highly unlikely at least. It would make the next few months of basketball a little brighter though.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation

If that does indeed happen, at least the raptors can see what happens with a Val bargs front court, with Bargs sliding back to the natural 4 position and Ed Davis getting major time in a three post rotation.
My thinking is Val 24 minutes, Bargs 30 minutes and Davis 28 minutes.
Amir would then have to be traded or Amnestied. Or they could Amnesty Calderon, and trade amir for a point guard with more of a defensive minded game, how bout to Milwaeki for Udrih. I'd like to see them trade Bargs for a 3 man maybe, but I know Colangelo won't until he sees what it looks like with this new core together. If he doesn't come over we are pretty much staying intact until next year and then the changes will happen. mbah a moute would be awesome in Toronto as well, maybe they'd take barbosa off our hands as well. Barbosa and Amir and james Johnson, for Mbah a moute and Udrih and Delfino

That would leave us Bayless, Udrih,
Derozen and Delfino
mhah a moute and Kleiza
Bargs Davis
Valunc 4th post?
If all goes well, you draft a 3 man or maybe a great point guard. Heard a rumour about maybe trading Bargs to Indiana for Paul George and James Posey. George would be our three man, nice paring with Derozen and we'd then keep Amir and Amnesty someone else.

The next few weeks will be quite interesting.

Last edited by barkleynash : 12-04-2011 at 05:31 PM.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
If that does indeed happen, at least the raptors can see what happens with a Val bargs front court, with Bargs sliding back to the natural 4 position and Ed Davis getting major time in a three post rotation.
My thinking is Val 24 minutes, Bargs 30 minutes and Davis 28 minutes.
Amir would then have to be traded or Amnestied. Or they could Amnesty Calderon, and trade amir for a point guard with more of a defensive minded game, how bout to Milwaeki for Udrih.

Ummm, Udrith?
no thanks.

Quote:
If all goes well, you draft a 3 man or maybe a great point guard.

Unfortunately this year is not great for pg's or 3's (barnes is the only one).
That is my only problem with drafting Val. I still think it was a great pick but the coming draft is all about bigs and the last one more about pgs.
Quote:
Heard a rumour about maybe trading Bargs to Indiana for Paul George and James Posey. George would be our three man, nice paring with Derozen and we'd then keep Amir and Amnesty someone else.

Can we get a source on this rumor?
Personally I'd like to see bc target marcus thorton (RFA) or trade for James Harden (OKC will not be able to pay him). Put a package together around bargs. Even include derozan.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

If Valanciunas really decides to play in the NBA this season I can definitely picture BC trading Ed Davis.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
If Valanciunas really decides to play in the NBA this season I can definitely picture BC trading Ed Davis.
Me too.

Not because I think it's a good idea but because it's the absolute wrong thing to do and that's how little I think of Colangelo.

Quote:
Personally I'd like to see bc target marcus thorton (RFA) or trade for James Harden (OKC will not be able to pay him). Put a package together around bargs. Even include derozan.
OKC should be able to get better for Harden. I don't see how Bargnani fits in OKC either. They already have a bigger perimeter scorer in Durant who is a superstar. Perkins and Ibaka are great fits for their starting frontcourt too. If they can't pay Harden, they definitely don't want to be paying $10+ million per season for a bench player.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 12-04-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Get Kirk Hinrich. If the team wants to have a defensive mentality they can't have their starting point getting burned every other play.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Me too.

Not because I think it's a good idea but because it's the absolute wrong thing to do and that's how little I think of Colangelo.

OKC should be able to get better for Harden. I don't see how Bargnani fits in OKC either. They already have a bigger perimeter scorer in Durant who is a superstar. Perkins and Ibaka are great fits for their starting frontcourt too. If they can't pay Harden, they definitely don't want to be paying $10+ million per season for a bench player.

perkins was not as great as thought on okc and a rotation of perkins, ibaka and bargs is very solid. plus they get derozan.
10 million for bargs may be more appealing than 15 for harden
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Wouldn't 15 be around the max for a player coming off a rookie deal? Zero chance Harden gets that. OKC should stand pat. They have a perfect mix/balance of players right now to be a legit title contender. They just need to stop being stupid by giving Sefolosha so many minutes.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
bluerap
Local High School Star

i think the max is around 17.

when harden becomes a fa i guarantee he will get at least 14. he is that good just in the shadows of durant.

it is highly unlikely he gets dealt right now, but they will not be able to keep durant, westbrook, harden and ibaka. it's not possible.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
i think the max is around 17.

when harden becomes a fa i guarantee he will get at least 14. he is that good just in the shadows of durant.

it is highly unlikely he gets dealt right now, but they will not be able to keep durant, westbrook, harden and ibaka. it's not possible.

14? as in 14 million/yr? That's not gonna happen. Nobody will give him 14 million annually...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Harden gets 7-8 million per year annually maximum. Anything more than that is drastically overpaying. He's a solid player but he is by no means a superstar and only time will tell if he develops into one.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

did you guys watch okc in the playoffs last year?

don't forget last year was only his sophomore season.
if he were in a different situation you'd really see what he is capable of.

he would easily be the best player on the raps.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: