Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation
Default If the celts get Paul

Just wondering what people think if this would be a smart move for Boston both to try to win now and the future.

Trade Rondo, Green and First rounder to NO for Paul.

Resign big baby and start him at 4 and move garnett to five.

Starting line-up of Paul, Allen, Pierce, Baby and Garnett.
Jo is your back-up Five. Bradley is your back-up point. Sign Grant Hill as your back-up to Allen and Pierce and get another cheap big through free-agency, maybe Reggie Evans. The have young forward Jujuan Johnson who can take Green's job and they have E'twan Moore as well.
Next summer you have Allen and KG and JO coming off the books, sign thefirst two for cheap and try to Lure Howard.
So they take the win now approach with veterans and have the flexibility to go young with Paul and Howard.
I know lots of ifs, but boredom is sinking is as I await the season to begin.
I think Big baby and KG are fine up front. KG and baby stretch the floor for Paul, plus they both set great picks. They would be a much quicker unit with KG at five instead of Shaq perkins and JO. I think KG creates more mismatches at five than he does at 4. He stretches the floor and will now have a huge speed advantage on all fives, while not giving up as much as you might expect inside. If they had Baby, JO and Evans, KG would not always have to guard the center, as those three guys are physical players. Pierce won't have to create as much and work as hard, as Paul will be their to create much of the offence. Allen will still be super effective.
THoughts?
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Haymaker
College superstar

Haymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: If the celts get Paul

They'll still lack that defensive presence in the middle. Garnett needs help. They should go for Chandler and amnesty Jeff Green so they can sign Butler. That way they make up for the mess they caused when trading away Perkins and letting go of Tony Allen.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
They'll still lack that defensive presence in the middle. Garnett needs help. They should go for Chandler and amnesty Jeff Green so they can sign Butler. That way they make up for the mess they caused when trading away Perkins and letting go of Tony Allen.

Jeff Green is a RFA so I don't think we can amnesty him
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation

I'm on record that the C's should take the risk. The worst thing that can happen is Paul leaving as a FA but that will either bring in assets or cap room. Either scenario is better than the alternative rebuilding scenario.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
barkleynash
Local High School Star

What do people think of Baby? I know he played terribly in the playoffs last year, but I still like his toughness and versatility compared to that of green. They have to get one of Green or Baby, and I think that Baby fits in better. Boston will not get the best out of green if he plays only 20 some minutes per night. They either have to give him major minutes backing up Allen, Pierce and KG and give the guy 34-35 minutes and have him as the next Cedric Maxwell and have him go for sixth man of the year. If they do that they have to let Baby go, it's one or the other.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'll take Green over Davis 10 times out of 10...
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
I'll take Green over Davis 10 times out of 10...
same here.... bring on leon powe and carl landry ;)
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
zac
Local High School Star

zac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat cool

They won't and don't need to resign Davis, another team will over pay him. Jujuan Johnson should get the back up PF job anyway. Garnett is the perfect person for him to learn from. I think it was super smart for the Celtics to pick up E'tuan Moore late too because him and Johnson might have some instant chemistry from the 4 years together at Purdue. They Celtics just need to sign a competent and most importantly a healthy big for the Center position. A dude like Chris Wilcox or someone cheaper would be smart I think. I'm secretly hoping the Grizzlies pick up Wilcox though if Josh Mcroberts signs for a lot of money somewhere else.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

can the celtics get chris kaman for glen davis and avery bradley?
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board

Worst case scenario: we get Paul, don't win a title, he bolts to NY and Howard goes to the Lakers.
Best case scenario: we get Paul, win the title this year, JaJuan Johnson becomes the next Taj Gibson, Howard sees Boston is the place to be and signs, and KG and Ray come back on 2 year vet min deals, E'Twan Moore becomes the next Tony Allen, and in 2 years Blake misses a season and the Clippers pick is number 1 and we get Austin Rivers.

Optimism.
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
can the celtics get chris kaman for glen davis and avery bradley?

I was wondering about this the other day... Expirer, and a very good player with the space he'd get on our team. Possibly could include him somehow in a 3 teamer if LAC gets Paul? Like Paul + Okafor to Clips, Kaman to Boston, Davis Bradley Gordon and Aminu to Hornets?
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Didn't realize Boston was that down on Baby. Then they have to resign Green and give him some damn minutes, that way that at least move up his trade value, which is at an all-time low.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
dbugz
Gang Green

dbugz is considered somewhat cooldbugz is considered somewhat cooldbugz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
They won't and don't need to resign Davis, another team will over pay him. Jujuan Johnson should get the back up PF job anyway. Garnett is the perfect person for him to learn from. I think it was super smart for the Celtics to pick up E'tuan Moore late too because him and Johnson might have some instant chemistry from the 4 years together at Purdue. They Celtics just need to sign a competent and most importantly a healthy big for the Center position. A dude like Chris Wilcox or someone cheaper would be smart I think. I'm secretly hoping the Grizzlies pick up Wilcox though if Josh Mcroberts signs for a lot of money somewhere else.

Can't wait to see JJ play as a Celtic
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

trade baby over green or i'll commit suicide
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
Worst case scenario: we get Paul, don't win a title, he bolts to NY and Howard goes to the Lakers.
Best case scenario: we get Paul, win the title this year, JaJuan Johnson becomes the next Taj Gibson, Howard sees Boston is the place to be and signs, and KG and Ray come back on 2 year vet min deals, E'Twan Moore becomes the next Tony Allen, and in 2 years Blake misses a season and the Clippers pick is number 1 and we get Austin Rivers.

Optimism.

is that allowed under the CBA??? I think due to cap holds that might not be possible
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: