Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Latrell Sprewell; Penny Hardaway; Eddie Jones

Similar to the Shawn Kemp; Derrick Coleman; Larry Johnson I made a few days ago on Power Forwards. I'll go to the shooting guards spot (I'm counting Penny as a SG for this one, haha.)

All 3 being drafted in consecutive years. First, Sprewell in 92 for the Warriors, Penny to the same Warriors but shipped of for Webber in 93 and Jones by the Lakers in 1994. By the start of the new millennium, these three should have been in them primes of their careers. Instead, one couldn't stay healthy, the other got into problems with staff and family matters (but was a major part of a Finals and West Finals squad) and one had to take a backseat to a young kid who was know doubt watching these players closely in high school.

-Latrell Sprewell: I liked his game, it was straight up in your face. He was very aggressive in whatever he did. I loved his break-a-way two handed tomahawks he's always do with the Warriors.

-Penny Hardaway: Penny was very smooth. He was my favorite player as I just started to get into the league

-Eddie Jones: Eddie, I can't really describe his game, he just got the job done. HE could do a little bit of it all, shoot the j and take it to the hole.

By the middle of the decade, a new group of athletic swings had taken over the league, McGrady, Carter and that one kid mention earlier Kobe Bryant. Penny peaked earlier than the others, having his best season goin to the Finals in the mid 90s, Jones peaked the latest having his best season in the early part of the 2000s. The most consistent was Sprewell, who's been very strong for a ten year period.

While I watched the forwards in my previous post, most of them peaked just as I was gettin into the game. For these guys, they were peaking right as I started to tune into the game. Out of the three, I'm not sure who was considered the best prospect coming into the league.

I wish all these guys had entered the dunk contest at one time or another.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
RobertdeMeijer
Serious playground baller

Default Re: Latrell Sprewell; Penny Hardaway; Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones was always underrated to me. Sprewell on the other hand...

There were a lot of good shooting guards around 2000
RobertdeMeijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
jlitt
Decent playground baller

Penny was a revolutionary guard. The first big guard since magic, and the first big guard with athleticism. He was a special player and was able to put up some sick rebounding, assists statistics. He was a walking triple Double. Injuries robbed us of what promised to be the most entertaining backcourt in recent memory with him and J Kidd. Backcourt 2000 they called it. Oh well.

Eddie Jones was a classic number 2. He could not be your primary weapon but he was a great number 2. Great shooter great defender and when he had a point guard to play with he could really cut to the hoop and score easy buckets. Will never forget his two dunks on shawn bradley his rookie year. The forum would always chant " eddie eddie" definitively a fan favorite and i have his jersey with number 25 on it the only year he wore was his rookie year. Had some sick nba commmercials for nike jordan brand. One featuring Mos Def back in the day when he was still an unknown.

Latrell was an oddity, strong and athletic but with a PG mentality. He never had much of a jumpshot but was very streaky at times. Tough as nails to play against but was more athlete then basketball player. Had a roller coaster of a career .
jlitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
nbacardDOTnet
Ubuntu !! V18 !!

nbacardDOTnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
hon hon hon eat snails

Penny was the one who was going to surpass both Latrell and Eddie. He would definitely rival MJ as the best SG and player in the league. Even MJ said it himself that he was afraid of Penny's potential.

I am one of the few who believes many of his basketball skills (especially his dribbling/ballhandling and court vision) were above MJ's. He sees plays ahead of time and makes the right decisions at the right time. Half of the time they would be spectacular plays.

His athleticism was outstanding and spectacular.

Not sure what else I can say about Penny but damn....I wish he was as healthy as Kobe. Maybe the forums in 2011 such as this one would include Penny in their juvenile Kobe/LeBron/MJ debate of who is the best.

See the video below why MJ was scared of Penny's potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdnOlifZz8

Last edited by 9512 : 12-10-2011 at 07:08 AM.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
FatComputerNerd
College star

Spre' for his all-around game and toughness.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Locked_Up_Tonight
Good college starter

I'll take Spree because he never choked in pressure situations... oh wait.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Penny was the one who was going to surpass both Latrell and Eddie. He would definitely rival MJ as the best SG and player in the league. Even MJ said it himself that he was afraid of Penny's potential.

I am one of the few who believes many of his basketball skills (especially his dribbling/ballhandling and court vision) were above MJ's. He sees plays ahead of time and makes the right decisions at the right time. Half of the time they would be spectacular plays.

His athleticism was outstanding and spectacular.

Not sure what else I can say about Penny but damn....I wish he was as healthy as Kobe. Maybe the forums in 2011 such as this one would include Penny in their juvenile Kobe/LeBron/MJ debate of who is the best.

See the video below why MJ was scared of Penny's potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdnOlifZz8
Did Penny really have a better career than Sprewell? By 2000 Penny was just Anfernee. Latrell was still havin success.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Did Penny really have a better career than Sprewell? By 2000 Penny was just Anfernee. Latrell was still havin success.

Always a fan of nostalgia

I have Penny close to 100, Spree close to 200 and Jones close to 300. A lot of that is based on peak. Penny had a small run where he was maybe the best guard in the league and was a true superstar. Injuries cost him a greater career, for Sprewell, discipline cost him a greater career. In 1996 Penny was third in the MVP voting as the Magic won 60 games despite Shaq missing 30 games himself. Sprewell never finished in the top ten in the MVP voting, even when he made the all-NBA first team in '94. Hardaway won just as many playoff series in his prime despite having fewer prime seasons because of injuries and played a bigger role on the team he went to the Finals with than Sprewell did in his lone trip.

Jones is a distant but not so distant third. He was never a superstar, he snuck onto one all-NBA third team and the team he played his best seasons for won three titles after he left. Still he did everything well. He could shoot, handle the ball, defend very well, play the 2 or the 3. He was a guy you liked having on your team. All-time, there's 80-90 guys between each, but in their era, these are three of the top 7-8 guards and depending on who else is on your team, you might prefer any of the three.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
hon hon hon eat snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Penny is my personal fave. Perhaps my "assessment" was too biased and it was not meant to be.

Penny's injuries is what did him in as ISH member GOAT mentioned above this post.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: