Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Default If You're The Colts, Do You Draft Andrew Luck?

Question is in the title. If you're the Indianapolis Colts, do you feel they should clearly draft Andrew Luck? Some people feel if Manning is 100% healthy he still has 2-3 prime years left at a high level. Other people don't want to take that chance and they feel they should start looking ahead of Manning right now to the future.

What do you think?
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: If You're The Colts, Do You Draft Andrew Luck?

Yes. Luck is as close to a guaranteed franchise QB as I've seen come out of college since Manning.

He played with less talent at the skill positions than any other recent comparisions. He's also more athletic than the #1 QBs taken in recent years.

Kid has called his own plays this season. Virtually unheard of.

Palmer sat behind Kitna. Rivers sat behind Brees. Rodgers sat behind some old guy. Nobody better to sit and learn from than Manning.

Aside from that, look at how many teams fate is being decided by their backup. You can't have enough quality QB in todays NFL.

I understand the argument that the Colts have a lot of holes to fill, and dealing the #1 pick would certainly help in the search for those pieces. To me, it's a QB league, and if I can find my franchise guy for the next decade, I can build around him.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I don't even ****ing know anymore. I do know whatever they do, whoever they keep, they can't keep em both. You can't waste either asset that's that valuable. The team's already old and fading, you can't build for the future by keeping Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark and Gary Brackett and etc etc. If they go Luck, you gotta blow the damn thing up.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

you have to draft Luck at this point...like you just said even "IF" (big IF) Manning can play he only has a couple years left.

what is there to think about?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Swore this topic was created already.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Absolutely. It would shock me if they didn't unless they pulled a blockbuster trade including an already established good young QB like a Matt Ryan or something like that. And even then David Stern would veto because of "basketball reasons."

But seriously it's playing some odds:

1). They draft him and he and Peyton can co-exist and he sits for a couple years and learns behind one of the best ever. Luck turns out to be a bust but they retain 3-5 more Manning like seasons from Peyton and sucker another team into trading for Luck.

2). They draft him and he and Peyton can coexist and he sits for a couple years learning behind one of the best ever and then when it's time Luck goes out is the QB we expect him to be. Thus they go from QB to QB in a 20-25 year span with two franchise caliber signal callers.

3). They draft him and they can't coexist so they go into camp and decide Peyton is the better option so they trade Luck for a massive package. (Ladies)

4). They draft him and they can't coexist so they go into camp and decide Luck is the better option so they trade Peyton for a massive package. (Again... ladies.)

5). Amend either one to say the picked the wrong QB, but they still have that massive trade deal in place to build on it.

So really 4/5 scenarios play out nicely for the Colts. But if we look at the flip side:

A). They don't draft him and Peyton comes back healthy and dominates again for a few years. But for 10-12 years after Luck dominates.

B). They don't draft him and Peyton cannot come back healthy. Luck dominates on another team.

C). They don't draft him and Peyton cannot come back but Luck is a bust anyway.

D). They don't draft him and Peyton plays well for a few years and Luck is a bust anyway.

That's 2/4 that works out for the Colts. And one is arguably a negative. So to me it makes sense to draft Luck, and from there you can decide what you want to do.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Swore this topic was created already.
yeah back when Carbine was talking about trading the Luck pick to the Broncos for Von Miller, Champ Bailey, and 2 first rounders...

also, people assumed you could trade Manning for multiple firsts...the Colts probably couldn't give Peyton away with that contract and his injury...they might have to just let him walk.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Timmy, you can't sit the #1 overall for 2 years...too much money...it isn't the same as Rodgers
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Timmy, you can't sit the #1 overall for 2 years...too much money...it isn't the same as Rodgers

Huh how is it too much money when there is a new rookie wage scale. Of course u can sit Luck. If anything it would be Manning who says don't sit him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Huh how is it too much money when there is a new rookie wage scale. Of course u can sit Luck. If anything it would be Manning who says don't sit him.
true but I can't imagine them sitting the #1 overall for more than one year...

if that is the plan then I think they should trade the pick and just see what is around in 2-3 years...too long to pay #1 overall money to ride the bench, even with the new pay sale...Cam's contract is still $22 mill.

it isn't like Luck is bust proof either...he could end up being less than his hype
Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
true but I can't imagine them sitting the #1 overall for more than one year...

LOL at how fast you backtrack.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
LOL at how fast you backtrack.
wat?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Yeah. You simply can't not draft him. Because when Peyton comes back, he's gonna be perfect as a mentor. If Rodgers can learn from Favre, Luck is gonna learn a hell of a lot from Peyton. I just feel like Peyton would be a great teacher and I don't know if there's another quarterback better at breaking down film.

It's a perfect situation for the Colts.

And even if Peyton's 85%, they're still gonna win like 8 games minimum. This team truly has showed what it is without their captain. There's no doubt he's got some left in his tank. He's gonna be rolling next year. He's still got his weapons.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

But Rodgers didn't learn from Farve...they never even talked to each other

Rodgers is just good...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
Basketball Fan
Local High School Star

Yes you do because you don't know what the future holds with Manning I don't want to be like other teams and have to wait for the next QB to come if at all.

I'd draft Luck and let Manning go. It pains me to say as a Colts fan but he's never going to win another ring here. Not with what we have now and the Colts need to think of life after Manning.

I rather see Manning go to a contender that needs a QB than waste the rest of his career on a rebuilding project.

Oh and fire the entire coaching staff and FO so Andrew Luck can usher in a new era of Colts Football.
Basketball Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: