Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #16
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Default Re: Adjustments the Knicks Must Make to be Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
WOW I dont see what you all see. There is no bench no SG no PG the team doesnt play defense or rebound but its ELITE....

There are too many adjustments that need to be made to make the team elite. Lets see how some players fall after all the FA's moves and trades. Right now the Knicks are probably 8th seed or 7th seed.

This will be ELITE if they pull this off top 3 PG Best Center in the league a very good PF.

No PG? I see a second year PG in Douglas who can only improve. No, he's not a star but (1) he can create his own shot, (2) shoot efficiently from behind the arc and (3) play great defense. That's an ideal role player. A rich man's Derek Fisher. As a starter last year Douglas averaged 13.9 ppg, 5.7 apg, 52.2% FG, 46.8% 3P FG in 9 games. Expect him to average 14-16 ppg, 4-6 apg as a starter, and again, providing solid defense.

No SG? Fields is young and can only get better. He plays defense; he can spread the floor; he can rebound very well for his position. Solid role player. A championship team doesn't have an all-star at every position. Solid role players are the glue. They should be able to capitalize off of double teams to their star teammate. They should be singularly focused on defense above all else.

No defense? Just about everyone outside of Amare and Bibby are solid defenders. But now we have a lock-down defender at just about every position, so we can manage to hide Amare, Bibby or even Melo if they have an unfavorable matchup. And interior defense trumps perimeter defense any day of the week. Dirk himself said Chandler individually made their defense what it was, with his presence, leadership and on-court verbalization. Chandler is going to bring that defensive atmosphere to the Knicks, along with assistant coach Mike Woodson.

http://knicksnow.com/posts/1742-tc-video-chandler

It's hard to watch this video and not feel like the team's collective attitude has changed for the better.

Our team doesn't rebound? Chandler averaged 13/12 per 36 last year. Don't underestimate his impact. Last year our biggest problem was rebounding, but that was mostly because we didn't have any frontcourt depth. Now we have Chandler, resigned Jeffries and added another 7-footer in Jerome.

The only legit concern you have is our bench. We need offense--someone that can create their own shot. I'd gladly take Barea or Crawford if we don't have to give up any of our core (including Douglas, Fields, Shumpert).

You are being overanalytic probably because you are a huge fan. Anyone last year could write an essay about why the Heat shouldn't win a championship, and yet they came within two games of doing it. LeBron/Wade play great off-ball defense, and the Miami defense as a whole is usually impressive, but our defense is markedly improved with Chandler, and you'll see how huge a difference our height increase will make when we take the court against them. The Heat are super undersized, their shooters aren't as good as ours, their big three doesn't complement each other's skillsets like ours do, LeBron disappears in the clutch, Chandler held Bosh to 41% FG (single coverage) in the Finals, etc.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #17
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Great post airchibundo507, no need for me to quote or add to it.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
lebob23
38563065 38563065 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Fields,Gallinari,Chandler,Lee,Frye,Nene,Ariza...

that is a great team. they just need a point
lebob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #19
bluechox2
#knickstape

good post archi
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Archi post wasnt that great... lol You do make some valid points. If I didnt have a tee time soon for some winter golf I would be getting in his arse

You know I will be back this evening to get into this lol.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Archi post wasnt that great... lol You do make some valid points. If I didnt have a tee time soon for some winter golf I would be getting in his arse

You know I will be back this evening to get into this lol.
I know you're probably thinking about it as you play.

Yea I stopped reading after the 1st 2 sentences were defending Toney Douglas' point guard skills. No offense, but that's like a girl with no teeth. Really doesn't matter if the rest is good!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
If I didnt have a tee time soon for some winter golf I would be getting in his arse

no means no.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
no means no.

Good comeback....Repped!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I know you're probably thinking about it as you play.

Yea I stopped reading after the 1st 2 sentences were defending Toney Douglas' point guard skills. No offense, but that's like a girl with no teeth. Really doesn't matter if the rest is good!

You wouldn't smash the hottest girl on the planet if she toothless? It's only one night.

I didn't defend his "point guard" skills. I know he's not a playmaker. All he has to do his bring the ball up the floor and let the offense flow through Melo. Look at TD's numbers before and after the Melo trade:

Before AS game: 9.1 ppg, 2.2 apg, 40.3% FG, 34.9% 3P FG
After AS game: 13.5 ppg, 4.5 apg, 43.4% FG, 40.5% 3P FG

People last year criticized Melo for stopping the ball, saying that it hurt players like Landry and made him lose confidence, yet look at how much more effective TD is with Melo on the team. It's day and night.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

[quote=airchibundo507]You wouldn't smash the hottest girl on the planet if she toothless? It's only one night.
QUOTE]

No. crackheads are toothless. I dont want any crack pu$$y. They'll do anything for a hit.

Also, Melo passed the ball pretty well IMO. Especially in the playoffs, when he had every reason to go nut. Fact of the matter is, we dont have much to pass to lol
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
No PG? I see a second year PG in Douglas who can only improve. No, he's not a star but (1) he can create his own shot, (2) shoot efficiently from behind the arc and (3) play great defense. That's an ideal role player. A rich man's Derek Fisher. As a starter last year Douglas averaged 13.9 ppg, 5.7 apg, 52.2% FG, 46.8% 3P FG in 9 games. Expect him to average 14-16 ppg, 4-6 apg as a starter, and again, providing solid defense.
You described what a good SG can do not a PG. That was too easy.

Quote:
No SG? Fields is young and can only get better. He plays defense; he can spread the floor; he can rebound very well for his position. Solid role player. A championship team doesn't have an all-star at every position. Solid role players are the glue. They should be able to capitalize off of double teams to their star teammate. They should be singularly focused on defense above all else.
What he should do and what he has done are two different things... Coulda Woulda Shoulda If.... He does play hustle defense and effort. He is young. But the stuff you said about TD is what Fields should be doing. 2nd half he was lost and didnt do much. Players dont get better because they add another year FYI. You assume too much. Had he stunk up the joint in the beginning of the season then played his first half in the second half then I can see you making that reach.

Quote:
No defense? Just about everyone outside of Amare and Bibby are solid defenders. But now we have a lock-down defender at just about every position, so we can manage to hide Amare, Bibby or even Melo if they have an unfavorable matchup. And interior defense trumps perimeter defense any day of the week. Dirk himself said Chandler individually made their defense what it was, with his presence, leadership and on-court verbalization. Chandler is going to bring that defensive atmosphere to the Knicks, along with assistant coach Mike Woodson.
Elite players has to be hidden? Are you serious? You need to read my Melo Stat thread....
Chandler will definitely improve the pick and roll defense as well as zone defense. But without your 2 best players doing it consistently the others will take nights off as well. You need read my Melo Stat thread. The addition of Mike Woodson guarantees nothing. D'Antoni preached defense last year and the year before it didnt get it done. Star players has to buy in and listen to coaches so the team can do the same.

Quote:
http://knicksnow.com/posts/1742-tc-video-chandler

It's hard to watch this video and not feel like the team's collective attitude has changed for the better.

Our team doesn't rebound? Chandler averaged 13/12 per 36 last year. Don't underestimate his impact. Last year our biggest problem was rebounding, but that was mostly because we didn't have any frontcourt depth. Now we have Chandler, resigned Jeffries and added another 7-footer in Jerome.
You talked about everyone else rebounding but your two elite players.... go figure.

Quote:
The only legit concern you have is our bench. We need offense--someone that can create their own shot. I'd gladly take Barea or Crawford if we don't have to give up any of our core (including Douglas, Fields, Shumpert).

You are being overanalytic probably because you are a huge fan. Anyone last year could write an essay about why the Heat shouldn't win a championship, and yet they came within two games of doing it. LeBron/Wade play great off-ball defense, and the Miami defense as a whole is usually impressive, but our defense is markedly improved with Chandler, and you'll see how huge a difference our height increase will make when we take the court against them. The Heat are super undersized, their shooters aren't as good as ours, their big three doesn't complement each other's skillsets like ours do, LeBron disappears in the clutch, Chandler held Bosh to 41% FG (single coverage) in the Finals, etc.
Your whole premise was destroyed when you said they play defense... They also rebound and score. Size wont matter if you dont play defense and rebound plain and simple. Those 2 guys makes all the other teammates want to do all they can do and more because Wade/LBJ lead by words and example. The reason everyone wants to play for them for less money is because they took less money, they give it their all every night this is why everyone wants to go there. It aint just the weather hot chicks and beaches.

No I dont think about anything on the golf course but golf. Its a game you cant play distracted.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Your best players don't necessarily have to be your best defensive players. It's insane to hold them to that standard considering how much they already contribute on offense. I'm not saying they shouldn't play defense at all, but solid defense is all I ask. Are Wade and LeBron capable of contributing immensely at both ends? Yes. That's why they are the two best players in the league. That's why they are bound to be hall-of-famers and top 20 players in history.

And I don't understand this infatuation you have with the Heat. Guess who won the championship? The Mavericks. Is Nowitzki a good defender? Hardly. But Chandler overshadowed his weaknesses as well as the rest of Dirk's supporting cast. Chandler guarded Bosh in the Finals and held him to 41% shooting while Dirk got off easy chasing Joel Anthony.

I think Melo does a great job of rebounding (7 rpg; 10+ rpg in postseason). He could stand to play solid defense more consistently. Amare is the one who needs to contribute to the Knicks in more ways than just scoring. He needs to improve his rebounding, defense and passing if we want to truly win a championship.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Well I am holding them to the standard of LBJ and Wade. I have read here in the past where both these guys are considered Elite. DIRK is the Mavs offense and he rebounds well for a jump shooter. Also you cant win with 2 superstars that can play defense when they want to or not at all. It effects the other members of the team and makes the team defense terrible. It makes the individual defense terrible. You cant have those kind of leaks and expect to win.

That goes for rebounding as well. Amare does not make an effort to get rebounds. So you're ok with Amare getting 3 offensive rebounds for put backs in a game as well as collecting about 5 defensive rebounds from opponents misses? So you're ok with Melo getting 1 offensive rebound for a put back as many times as he shoots the pill in a game as well as collecting about 6 defensive rebounds from opponents misses? I expect more from them but you dont have to.

All of you can settle for lack of effort, intensity, and expectation from the team leaders who are suppose to be ALL-STARS or ELITE. I guess you all are looking for ENTERTAINMENT and not CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Last edited by Rameek : 12-14-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Rebounding shouldn't be a problem. Melo and Fields are two of the best at their positions. We shouldn't be getting murdered like we did last year on the boards (Kevin Love 30/30, etc.).
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #30
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Douglas was great on defense. We need rebounds, we need a new fhukn coach and defense minded players. I don't give a shit about scoring 400 points a game.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: