Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Ouch, R.I.P.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Mahmoud
Decent playground baller

Mahmoud has an OK reputation so far

I don't mean to be insensitive, but with all the people killed on our streets, I'm supposed to give a damn because this guy was a millionaire?

Its like how the news networks go buck wild whenever a petite blond white girl gets kidnapped. Its a joke. You know how many senseless murders are committed every single day? You know how many kids are getting shot out on the streets, while walking back home.

Why is that people only freak out when it happens to someone with a big bank account? Only then do people say that it is "brutal" or "horrible." People only seem to give notice to this when someone famous gets shot, but you rarely ever hear about the random girl walking to school, getting shot as she crosses the street.

I feel for the guy and his family, but it disturbs me how much special attention we give when it comes to celebrities, while ignoring the plight of regular people who are in this crap every single day.
Mahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Awful... rip.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's more covered by the media when the person is a celebrity, and therefore, more people know about it. I'm sure if every murder were as covered by the media as the ones with celebrities in them, those other murders would get the same amount of compassion. It's just the way the media works though, and it's certainly not a bias of today's population.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmoud
I don't mean to be insensitive, but with all the people killed on our streets, I'm supposed to give a damn because this guy was a millionaire?

Its like how the news networks go buck wild whenever a petite blond white girl gets kidnapped. Its a joke. You know how many senseless murders are committed every single day? You know how many kids are getting shot out on the streets, while walking back home.
This society is all about sensationalism. When a celebrity, or sports figure gets killed, it drives the news cycle and grabs the viewing public's attention.

However, people just don't care about unknown kids' deaths -- especially if they happen to belong to a "minority" group. If those types of murders were all reported, it would raise many serious questions about this country's values and what was really happening in the "inner cities." Its a can of worms that the mainstream media does NOT want to open.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmoud

Why is that people only freak out when it happens to someone with a big bank account? Only then do people say that it is "brutal" or "horrible." People only seem to give notice to this when someone famous gets shot, but you rarely ever hear about the random girl walking to school, getting shot as she crosses the street.

I feel for the guy and his family, but it disturbs me how much special attention we give when it comes to celebrities, while ignoring the plight of regular people who are in this crap every single day.

Its not being ignored. Opewn up a newspaper, watch the news and those everyday people you care about are given attention, 15mins of fame. Human being love sports...its an escape of reality. It can take away stress from everyday dealings/life. It can occupy your down/free time so you have something to entertain you. Some chose a book another chooses a sport. Many here have played sports and/or dreamed of being a professional athlete. We have sports channels and sports websites devoted to sports in general along with off the field stuff. Today there are college bowl games being played that people are watching and love to watch.

Yesterday was NFL Sunday where professional sport teams played. Denver played SF. The guy who was killed was a STARTER. A young player with promise. People follow the Denver Broncos. Some are even fans of the guy who died. Some follow football in general and have a knowledge of players on every team. A NFL player gets killed and people will want to know what happened to the guy who started opposite the best CB in the game Champ Bailey. What happened to the guy who had 85 tackls 4 interceptions, 1 returned for a touchdown? What happened to the guy who had 7 tackles vs SF? Why is Denver lookin for a new CB? Or why is Denver starting a new CB in 2007-08 season? What happned to Derrant Williams from OK? Hmmmmm

You see how questions are formed? You see how the death was reported by sports sites that follow sports and its teams/players? You see how we have espn a channel that is vastly popular that shows fans highlights and stories in the sports world that people may not be privy too for various reasons?

So take your nonsense and shove it. I wasnt aware a sports msgboard, a sports cite was supposed to tell me about Terrell Johnson who was killed by someone who robbed him. I mean its in the daily news, the inquirer...it appeared this morning in local news stations and online for the local news site. But it didnt appear on a sports msgboard or sportscenter so why should we care about a starting CB for the Denver Broncos? WHY are you eve on this board again? Shouldnt you be talkin about little Christina Williams who is the smartest in her school? Or Doug Smith who finished college at Syracuse who is gonna spend his grad school at the Univ of Penn? You know discuss everyday people who are doing stuff. Why dont you tell me how many people were killed on new years day. You dont know? You dont care? Or you only care when a sports star has an article written on them and sports fans show respect?

Yes we are all cold hearted and screwed up people for not thinkin twice over Pedro Gomez being slain in a drive by this morning. We dont care, only care about a CB who started for the Broncos. Just because he makes a lot of money and plays sports. Silly me. I apologize to all the John Does that died in America in 2006 and on new years day. My ball yall, R.I.P to you all. Now am I allowed to show my respects to the CB for the Broncos who died yet?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

r.i.p

i send my condolences to his family and friends and all the others that lost someone tragicly this past year
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
PleezeBelieve
Jay-A: Thats MR To You

PleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Its not being ignored. Opewn up a newspaper, watch the news and those everyday people you care about are given attention, 15mins of fame. Human being love sports...its an escape of reality. It can take away stress from everyday dealings/life. It can occupy your down/free time so you have something to entertain you. Some chose a book another chooses a sport. Many here have played sports and/or dreamed of being a professional athlete. We have sports channels and sports websites devoted to sports in general along with off the field stuff. Today there are college bowl games being played that people are watching and love to watch.

Yesterday was NFL Sunday where professional sport teams played. Denver played SF. The guy who was killed was a STARTER. A young player with promise. People follow the Denver Broncos. Some are even fans of the guy who died. Some follow football in general and have a knowledge of players on every team. A NFL player gets killed and people will want to know what happened to the guy who started opposite the best CB in the game Champ Bailey. What happened to the guy who had 85 tackls 4 interceptions, 1 returned for a touchdown? What happened to the guy who had 7 tackles vs SF? Why is Denver lookin for a new CB? Or why is Denver starting a new CB in 2007-08 season? What happned to Derrant Williams from OK? Hmmmmm

You see how questions are formed? You see how the death was reported by sports sites that follow sports and its teams/players? You see how we have espn a channel that is vastly popular that shows fans highlights and stories in the sports world that people may not be privy too for various reasons?

So take your nonsense and shove it. I wasnt aware a sports msgboard, a sports cite was supposed to tell me about Terrell Johnson who was killed by someone who robbed him. I mean its in the daily news, the inquirer...it appeared this morning in local news stations and online for the local news site. But it didnt appear on a sports msgboard or sportscenter so why should we care about a starting CB for the Denver Broncos? WHY are you eve on this board again? Shouldnt you be talkin about little Christina Williams who is the smartest in her school? Or Doug Smith who finished college at Syracuse who is gonna spend his grad school at the Univ of Penn? You know discuss everyday people who are doing stuff. Why dont you tell me how many people were killed on new years day. You dont know? You dont care? Or you only care when a sports star has an article written on them and sports fans show respect?

Yes we are all cold hearted and screwed up people for not thinkin twice over Pedro Gomez being slain in a drive by this morning. We dont care, only care about a CB who started for the Broncos. Just because he makes a lot of money and plays sports. Silly me. I apologize to all the John Does that died in America in 2006 and on new years day. My ball yall, R.I.P to you all. Now am I allowed to show my respects to the CB for the Broncos who died yet?
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #24
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the reason we hear more about famous peoples tragedies is a collective knowledge of that person, if the news media were to report every tragedy that strikes in the US it would lose the attention of the mass veiwing audience... it's not a case of being callous or insesitive to a persons plight its just simple numbers, national news reports national news, local news reports local... last night like so many other nights CNN ran the names of every soldier killed in action this past year, did you read every name? did you change stations? did you run for the kitchen?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #25
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
jullius hodge?
yeah

RIP
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

Daaamn that's crazy.......I'm thinking to myself, I just saw him like 20 hours ago.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #27
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

usually ****ty people get shot

sounds like this guy was actually good

RIP williams

ill be pouring out liquor for you and that miami player
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #28
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

hogdge aint dead right?
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #29
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

My sympathies go out to his friends and family. May he find peace in the afterlife.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #30
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
hogdge aint dead right?

he doesnt have any stats this year. Could be injured. But i remember hearing on espn he was shot but not killed.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: