Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Default Your 2011/12 Starting Power Forward is...

Andrea Bargnani!!!!

"Casey plans to play Bargnani and slight sophomore Ed Davis at power forward which means they will spend a lot of time on the court with either Aaron Gray, Jamaal Magloire, or Amir Johnson, who doesn't share their heft but can match up well with quick, athletic centres."

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/12...p-for-bargnani
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Your 2011/12 Starting Power Forward is...

Great... Ed Davis: 12 mpg this year?
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

No surprise. It was pretty obvious that Bargnani and Amir would be starting.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

If Casey's intention is to push the guys for an 8th seed, i'm gonna be pissed. We are definitely gonna suck regardless but at the very least we should be developing our younger players, not dumping more minutes into lost causes.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Doko
High School Starter

If someon is really surprised by this, he must be delusional.
It was clear since like 6 months that Bargs would be moved to the PF spot.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
If Casey's intention is to push the guys for an 8th seed, i'm gonna be pissed. We are definitely gonna suck regardless but at the very least we should be developing our younger players, not dumping more minutes into lost causes.

this will only help the tank
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
You can't blame a coach for trying to win. They're always going to try to win no matter what because it is in their best interest. It is up to the GM to structure the roster properly to "tank" if that is the ultimate goal. I think that part has been done alright with all the scrubs the Raptors signed. It's a shame that someone like Calderon is still around and is going to be blocking Bayless but what can you do?
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You can't blame a coach for trying to win. They're always going to try to win no matter what because it is in their best interest. It is up to the GM to structure the roster properly to "tank" if that is the ultimate goal. I think that part has been done alright with all the scrubs the Raptors signed. It's a shame that someone like Calderon is still around and is going to be blocking Bayless but what can you do?

be thankful because it will help the tank

all we need to secure a bottom seed is to trade barbosa
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
No coach is gonna explicitly say "we are tanking" but i've seen quite a few coaches get signed onto a team and be realistic about their expectations. I mean he's taking over a 22 win team that has made minimal adjustments over the summer other than a scrub overhaul. So his biggest goals should be development of Ed Davis and Demar Derozan, because they will probably be the only important pieces over the long haul. For example it was refreshing to hear Doug Collins last year when he first took over the Sixers, it didn't sound the same trust me.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Maybe it's news that he's being put back to the 4, but it's not news that he's starting. If anything I think that Ed Davis should be replacing Amir Johnson as starting PF and keep Bargnani at C, but I take it that at some point during the season Ed Davis will consistently outperform Johnson and that change will be made.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Maybe it's news that he's being put back to the 4, but it's not news that he's starting. If anything I think that Ed Davis should be replacing Amir Johnson as starting PF and keep Bargnani at C, but I take it that at some point during the season Ed Davis will consistently outperform Johnson and that change will be made.

I agree.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Yeah, you're right about it being no surprise that Bargnani is starting. I mean, we're not gonna have a 10mill/year backup. It makes no difference to me whether they put him at PF or C but my only issue will be if he and AJ eat up most of the minutes and leave Ed Davis with 15-20 minutes a game. But that has yet to be seen.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
kmart
No props needed

I believe that Ed Davis will get his minutes. This year with the 66 games in 120 days or so, the Raps have a lot of back to backs and a lot of 3 games in 4 nights and I think they have a 5 games in 6 nights once. One has to think taht Bargs and Amir will be tired and Davis will get his share of minutes. Same goes for Gray, Alabi, or Magloire whichever one steps up will likely get decent amounts of minutes.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Are they warming Bargs up at the 4 to get him ready to play with big Valanciunas next season?
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
bluerap
Good High School Starter

no, they are placating him.

remember last year when bc finally got fed up with bargs about his poor help d and lack of rebounding then said he was open to trading him if things didn't change.

then bargs said "fine trade me to a warmer destination where I can play my "real" position".

well they are giving him the "real" position part.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: