Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #46
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I say good riddance. Larry Brown. Now go curl up in a corner with your money and die.

Can't stand the way he throws hard working players under the bus only to make himself not look bad while jetting with tons of money.

Game 7 Round 1 Western Conference Playoffs 2nd half? *cough
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #47
johneco
I Hit Open Layups

johneco has an OK reputation so far
Default sigh

The Knicks will never win a championship. That's what this move is all about - get rid of the one guy on the team who has any clue about winning a championship, but who would require a lot of difficult changes to be made, and replace him with someone who will get more wins in the short term with this fatally flawed team so the team can continue to rake in the cash with an "entertaining product" that will never go anywhere. Great.

Yes, Larry Brown deserved to be fired, but really he should never have been hired in the first place if management wasn't commited to getting him the kind of players he needs to do his job.

Yes, you can't fault Dolan for being cheap, but I wish he were committed to winning a championship instead of just selling tickets with an entertaining team (uh, I'm assuming... let's see if they even manage that, it's a best case scenario) that will never have a chance to win it all.

Isaih has always creeped me out, since he was a college player. I still remember him reciting that freaky "I love basketball" poem... I do think he's got an excellent record in the draft, but he's been a terrible GM, and has already proven himself a mediocre coach.

Our situation is so so pathetic. The only positives are:
We have 2 draft picks and isaiah is a good judge of draft talent.
We have some good young players.
We have many contracts that expire next year, when the free agent pool will be good.
Maybe if we win more games next year Isaiah will be able to con some team into taking some of our selfish players off our hands...
johneco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #48
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

I'm another long-time Knick fan agonizing over this sorry state of affairs. New York will be back - count on it. There have been bad periods before, but we always managed to climb out eventually. There is too much money riding on having a winning team in the biggest media market in the country.

As much as I enjoyed watching Isiah as a player, he's clearly in over his head. He needs to go, and soon. Dolan needs to get a smart, low-profile GM who knows what the hell he's doing.

The Knicks have enough talent to have a semi-respectable 45-win season. I have my doubts if Isiah can get it done, but there's no doubt that if he doesn't, he's gone.

Last edited by Shepseskaf : 06-22-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #49
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

This will be Isiah's last year if he doesn't do anything.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #50
Spurs3
Kids at the park dunk on me

Spurs3 has an OK reputation so far

LB = ass

he must have told zeke that he want out.

"i dont wanna coach these guys anymore they're losers you try coaching em urself if u dont believe me"
Spurs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #51
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

I think this is long over due because it wasn't a good fit from the start for either side. I guess Zeek thinks he can duplicate what Pat Riley did with the Heat this year, good luck
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #52
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

If I'm not mistaken, Larry Brown just made more money in one year from his job than any athlete or coach in history.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #53
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole

MadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Nowhere does the article mention a buyout. How rare is it nowadays that someone of Brown's caliber simply gets FIRED?

As for this mess? Oh my, and Jeff is always telling US to write intelligent opinions? I'm glad this is one of the VERY rare times I have actually read the articles...

InsideHoops.com Editor Says: Well, thanks to the local New York media, everyone knew this was going to happen, but no one really wanted to believe it. (Too many commas and clauses) -5

The quick crash-and-burn of Larry Brown's time with the Knicks is shocking. (How does time "crash-and-burn" pray tell? And I just got through reading how everyone knew this was going to happen thanks to the local New York media. Now it's shocking?) -7

It was expected that Brown and Stephon Marbury might clash, and perhaps have problems, but no one thought the relationship between the coach and most of the players, plus upper management, would be such a disaster. (Oh my. Where does one begin? OK "It was expected"...Passive voice is a no-no in writing. The word "might" pretty much cancels out the "expected" part now doesn't it? Think about it. In order to properly complete that part of the sentence, one should say, "It was expected that Brown and Stephon Marbury *might or might not* clash. Duhhh. Then the editor's note goes on to say, "and perhaps have problems." PERHAPS??? So does that mean that it is possible that Brown and Steph *might* have been expected to clash, but perhaps not have problems as well? Larry Brown confirms, "Yeah we clashed, but we didn't have any problems." Also there are too many commas and clauses in this part.) -9

Now Isiah gets to coach. The funny thing is, if he just runs a steady rotation, and runs basic plays, the Knicks will win more games this season than they did after Brown. Which is going to result in unrealistic people making ridiculous claims that Isiah is somehow a better coach than Brown.
(I'm glad to see that at least one of the distinct ideas was separated with a period this time. However, the fact that it is basically a clause and not a sentence is disappointing in itself. Still, there are too many clauses and phrases in this part. ) -5

The fact is, Brown for his career, almost everywhere he went, was better than almost anyone. (Are you serious? "The fact is, TB since its discovery, almost everywhere it is found, infects almost anyone it comes in contact with. Now THERE's a fact that can survive the scrutiny of science! "Just lower the expectations of your fact with the use of the word "almost" and that fact can NEVER BE DEFEATED!" -Bahgdad Bob. Still too many commas and clauses.) -5

But for whatever reason, he seemingly did as much as possible to trash the team last season. (This charge begs for an explanation or a theory at the least. The reader outside of New York is left to ponder something like this, "Larry Brown sabotaged the team. He must have been upset that Isiah forced him to play certain players and then became facetious with the rotation to spite him!" Writer, please explain this. Oh, and never begin a sentence with a preposition.) -2

So, I predict Isiah will actually do a pretty nice job as coach, possibly winning 5-10 more games than the team did last season. But the problem is the roster (and the contracts), not the coach. (Same old run-on sentence/prepositional clause problem.) -2

Although there's talent at almost every position, the roster is still seriously flawed, and the team as it currently stands has no upside aside from maybe next season, or the season after, winning enough games to make the playoffs, but never getting past the first round. (THIS IS A BLATANT RUN-ON SENTENCE. STOP IT!! You're killing me, Chief! Although there's talent at almost every position, the roster is still seriously flawed. < --STOP THERE. Now, if the team has upside next season and the season after that, then it is not possible that the team has NO upside is it? NEXT. The team will (prediction form) win enough games to make the playoffs for the near future, but it will not make it past the first round with this flawed roster. OK, now to the substance...If the roster is talented at almost every position, then what does that mean? Does it mean that 4 out of the 5 positions are filled with talented players? It can't be 3 out of 5 because that probably wouldn't qualify as "almost every position." This needs an explanation. WHICH position out of the 4 is NOT talented? How does this one non-talented position/player make the team seriously flawed?) -5

A championship is impossible, which is a real shame for the great fans of New York. (I take a point off just for the amazingly unrealistic expectations of New Yorkers.) -1

TOTAL: -41 F

Last edited by MadeFromDust : 06-22-2006 at 01:03 PM.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #54
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
If I'm not mistaken, Larry Brown just made more money in one year from his job than any athlete or coach in history.
and i could have done the same job as well if not better than him.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #55
JinTheWindMaster
Banned

JinTheWindMaster has not been impressing people

JinTheWindMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #56
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

This is perplexing. Brown was horrible, but I wanted to see how they played this year with him. However, Brown did burn lots of bridges among players and with Isiah and with the owner.

I think they're a definate playoff team next year, they'll probably make some moves this year that make them a bit better, and play to their strengths. I think they can be a top offense if coached right, but the struggle for Isiah will be to make them a good defensive team. Or give good effort on that side of the ball. I feel like Isiah was a good coach in Indiana and he obviously has talent in NY.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #57
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
Nowhere does the article mention a buyout. How rare is it nowadays that someone of Brown's caliber simply gets FIRED?

As for this mess? Oh my, and Jeff is always telling US to write intelligent opinions? I'm glad this is one of the VERY rare times I have actually read the articles...

InsideHoops.com Editor Says: Well, thanks to the local New York media, everyone knew this was going to happen, but no one really wanted to believe it. (Too many commas and clauses) -5

The quick crash-and-burn of Larry Brown's time with the Knicks is shocking. (How does time "crash-and-burn" pray tell? And I just got through reading how everyone knew this was going to happen thanks to the local New York media. Now it's shocking?) -7

It was expected that Brown and Stephon Marbury might clash, and perhaps have problems, but no one thought the relationship between the coach and most of the players, plus upper management, would be such a disaster. (Oh my. Where does one begin? OK "It was expected"...Passive voice is a no-no in writing. The word "might" pretty much cancels out the "expected" part now doesn't it? Think about it. In order to properly complete that part of the sentence, one should say, "It was expected that Brown and Stephon Marbury *might or might not* clash. Duhhh. Then the editor's note goes on to say, "and perhaps have problems." PERHAPS??? So does that mean that it is possible that Brown and Steph *might* have been expected to clash, but perhaps not have problems as well? Larry Brown confirms, "Yeah we clashed, but we didn't have any problems." Also there are too many commas and clauses in this part.) -8

Now Isiah gets to coach. The funny thing is, if he just runs a steady rotation, and runs basic plays, the Knicks will win more games this season than they did after Brown. Which is going to result in unrealistic people making ridiculous claims that Isiah is somehow a better coach than Brown.
(I'm glad to see that at least one of the distinct ideas was separated with a period this time. However, the fact that it is basically a clause and not a sentence is disappointing in itself. Still, there are too many clause and phrases in this part. ) -5

The fact is, Brown for his career, almost everywhere he went, was better than almost anyone. (Are you serious? "The fact is, TB since its discovery, almost everywhere it is found, infects almost anyone it comes in contact with. Now THERE's a fact that can survive the scrutiny of science! "Just lower the expectations of your fact with the use of the word "almost" and that fact can NEVER BE DEFEATED!" -Bahgdad Bob. Still too many commas and clauses.) -5

But for whatever reason, he seemingly did as much as possible to trash the team last season. (This charge begs for an explanation or a theory at the least. The reader outside of New York is left to ponder something like this, "Larry Brown sabotaged the team. He must have been upset that Isiah forced him to play certain players and then became fecetious with the rotation to spite him!" Writer, please explain this. Never begin a sentence with a preposition.) -2

So, I predict Isiah will actually do a pretty nice job as coach, possibly winning 5-10 more games than the team did last season. But the problem is the roster (and the contracts), not the coach. (Same old run-on sentence/prepositional clause problem.) -2

Although there's talent at almost every position, the roster is still seriously flawed, and the team as it currently stands has no upside aside from maybe next season, or the season after, winning enough games to make the playoffs, but never getting past the first round. (THIS IS A BLATANT RUN-ON SENTENCE. STOP IT!! You're killing me, Chief! Although there's talent at almost every position, the roster is still seriously flawed. < --STOP THERE. Now, if the team has upside next season and the season after that, then it is not possible that the team has NO upside is it? NEXT. The team will (prediction form) win enough games to make the playoffs for the near future, but it will not make it past the first round with this flawed roster. OK, now to the substance...If the roster is talented at almost every position, then what does that mean? Does it mean that 4 out of the 5 positions are filled with talented players? It can't be 3 out of 5 because that probably wouldn't qualify as "almost every position." This needs an explanation. WHICH position out of the 4 is NOT talented? How does this one non-talented position/player make the team seriously flawed?) -5

A championship is impossible, which is a real shame for the great fans of New York. (I take a point off just for the amazingly unrealistic expectations of New Yorkers.) -1

TOTAL: -40 F

Nuh uh, you're a doody head.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #58
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Any NY Knicks fan you pick up off the subway will make a better GM than Isiah.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #59
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub
Any NY Knicks fan you pick up off the subway will make a better GM than Isiah.
that too, i would do browns and isiahs job for a small 5 mil and do it better
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #60
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

NY Knicks = idiots. Let go of LB so Zeek can run the team back into the lottery next year only to see the pick swapped.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: