Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default What's the deal with Carson Palmer in Oakland?

I've barely seen him in action with the silver and black, but his numbers don't look good.

Is he looking like a man who has been out of football, and is trying to catch back up? Is this a fluke thing, which may be reversed with an full offseason to prepare, or is he looking like a man who is completely finished?

The guy is 31 years old, so it's hard to believe he is "done."
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What's the deal with Carson Palmer in Oakland?

I felt the combination of leg (knee?) and elbow injuries showed last year, and this season doesn't appear any different. No zip on the ball coming out of his hand. Can't make all the throws anymore.

Interesting that his best games came within just a few weeks of joining the raiders. Just enough time to learn the offense and play some before the aches, pains and limitations returned.

Think he's done as anything other than a marginal NFL starter.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How much did the Raiders give up again?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

ill give you the scoop mlh.

At first glance, it looks as though Palmer is a TO machine (which is partly true) but 6 of those INT's came in the first 2 weeks of him playing (including 3 INT's against KC after 3 days of being on the Raiders)

Lets look at it this way, Carson Palmer hasn't played a single down with one of the NFL's best Rb's in Darren McFadden. not a single down. Take out what your offense is built around an what happens? (hmm maybe we should ask indy) thankfully for the Raiders they have a talented backup in Michael Bush who can sort of carry the load, but lets be honest, he is no Darren McFadden.

Lets also not forget that the Raiders 2 best WR's, Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore have been injured for the past 4-5 weeks. That's 3's of your most explosive weapons on offense out. which leaves you with stonehands dropping 3 FIRST QUARTER passes against GB, no wonder they got blown out. (palmers first poss. TO was why they got blown out, retarded pass)

Anyone who watched the Oak v. SD Thursday night game knows what Palmer is capable of. pound the rock, suck the D in, then go playaction up top to the speedy wideouts. I know JMT probably watches every Raiders game, but Palmer has plenty of zip left on his passes, its his decision making and lack of playmakers on the field that result in his terrible numbers. @ JMT are you a broncos fan? if so im sure you watched when Tebow ran all over the Raiders. . but how about Palmers TD passes to Reece and Ford that week? watch those highlights and tell me he doesn't have zip on the ball.

Give him a full offseason with this team, and a healthy roster then we can talk about if he is "done" but i think he has some years left, specially as a game manager. i just cant throw him under the bus quite yet without a full offseason with this team, the circumstances in which he entered this season are pretty rare for any player.

@ gobb they gave up 2 first round picks, one of which is conditional. and the way things are looking right now, only one of those picks will be a first rounder. the other will turn into a second (i think) Raiders have to make the AFC Championship game for both picks to remain first rounders.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
At first glance, it looks as though Palmer is a TO machine (which is partly true) but 6 of those INT's came in the first 2 weeks of him playing (including 3 INT's against KC after 3 days of being on the Raiders)

He's 9 TD's-10 INT's if your not counting that first KC game. Just because he has zip on his throws doesn't mean he's good. I'm not buying in on Palmer at all. Michael Bush is no slouch as a RB. Some of his receivers are pretty solid.

He had a good game against SD on Thursday Night. So what? It's a blip on the radar, not a trend. Your saying he has some years left as a game manager. If so, what makes him any difference than Jason Campbell then? You signed this guy to be a playmaking QB on this team.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

From what I've seen his zip on his throws is as great as I've ever seen it, accuracy is good to. The issue I've seen is he is trying to press and force the ball places and is getting fooled by defenses surprisingly, I don't know if it is the pressing mentality he has or because he was out of football but that is something he can surely clean up. His weapons are fine, once Moore is healthy, going into next year he has plenty of weapons. Bush is a plodder and pretty average runner IMO, but that is no excuse because Bush has played pretty well being forced into feature back action. Basically it's the decision making and forcing mentality that has caused several picks for Carson. I expect a much better year and obviously they overpaid but it could end up being OK if he turns it around next year jury still out on that for me.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
He's 9 TD's-10 INT's if your not counting that first KC game. Just because he has zip on his throws doesn't mean he's good. I'm not buying in on Palmer at all. Michael Bush is no slouch as a RB. Some of his receivers are pretty solid.

He had a good game against SD on Thursday Night. So what? It's a blip on the radar, not a trend. Your saying he has some years left as a game manager. If so, what makes him any difference than Jason Campbell then? You signed this guy to be a playmaking QB on this team.

it seems as though you read what i wrote earlier. . but did you understand/comprehend any of it?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
it seems as though you read what i wrote earlier. . but did you understand/comprehend any of it?

Yep, and the Raiders signed him thinking he would be this big playmaker, and guess what? He has the tools to do it, but he's always making mistakes, throwing INT's, and isn't the same since that injury. His decision making hasn't changed in 2 1/2 years now. If Jason Campbell was healthy, this team have the same record or even a game better right now. Campbell is a better game manager than Palmer because he makes far less mistakes.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
1manfastbreak
just win

Quote:
Yep, and the Raiders signed him thinking he would be this big playmaker, and guess what? He has the tools to do it, but he's always making mistakes, throwing INT's, and isn't the same since that injury. His decision making hasn't changed in 2 1/2 years now. If Jason Campbell was healthy, this team have the same record or even a game better right now. Campbell is a better game manager than Palmer because he makes far less mistakes.

idk where you're getting this "big playmaker" stuff from.

GAAH. once again, did you read what i wrote? without mcfadden, this offense is COMPLETELY different, and Palmer has yet to play with him. The reason i mentioned the game vs SD was because Bush was tearin up the Chargers D, much like McFadden does. When that happens teams respect the run, fill the box, then you burn them deep with the deep ball. thats managing the game. audibles at the line, something campbell NEVER did.

you have a good point saying campbell makes less mistakes, but again Campbell had McFadden, without him, Raiders are throwing the ball a lot more. can't expect that much out of Palmer this season, specially in the situation he was given.

i need to see palmer play with a healthy team before i can write him off as a bum. some of his throws are scary though, like WTF are you doing scary. The INT he threw on the first drive aginst GB was the ultimate facepalm. which is why they need DMC to take the ball out of his hands.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

I'm getting the playmaker stuff because that's what a lot of people talk I talk to say, that's why they think they went out and got Palmer, because he's a better playmaker and has a decent playmaking ability than what Jason Campbell has. I agree that McFadden will make a difference, but maybe it's time the Raiders draft another RB if Michael Bush isn't doing it (still like him), because McFadden has had a problem staying on the field so far, and regardless if McFadden's still on the field, Palmer has that haywire gene of throwing some quick INT's.

Not sold on Palmer regardless really.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Palmer has only had a couple of weeks in this offense.. He's still a good QB and much better than Campbell.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
1manfastbreak
just win

Quote:
I'm getting the playmaker stuff because that's what a lot of people talk I talk to say, that's why they think they went out and got Palmer, because he's a better playmaker and has a decent playmaking ability than what Jason Campbell has. I agree that McFadden will make a difference, but maybe it's time the Raiders draft another RB if Michael Bush isn't doing it (still like him), because McFadden has had a problem staying on the field so far, and regardless if McFadden's still on the field, Palmer has that haywire gene of throwing some quick INT's.

Not sold on Palmer regardless really.

Raiders drafter a Rb last year in Tiwan Jones out of Eastern Washington. He got some burn when McFadden went down, had some good carries against SD, but im pretty sure he got hurt in that game as well, has been out for about 6 weeks now
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
dirk94_
I hit open layups

dirk94_ has decent reputationdirk94_ has decent reputation

I'd rather have cutler with the broken thumb instead of carson right now.
dirk94_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
Ass Dan
LOL Maker, Intraweb

Ass Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAss Dan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

-What's the deal with Carson Palmer in Oakland?
Ass Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Truth is, he's always been overrated.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: