Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
i agree with Oprah it frustrating. Its like your kids get brainwashed with this attitude that they either cant or dont need to learn.

Its not only inner city though, but it is mostle minority schools, check out Camdem and Willingboro in NJ. I would never send my kids there, its a disgrace the enviromnent these kids are put in. The teachers dont even care.
Never been to Willingboro, but I live about 10 minutes from Camden, and that place is horrible. Being a "gangsta" is more important than having a future there. In the schools teachers don't even try to make them work, they have this attitude like "if this is what they want, i'll let them ruin there life". I go to play bball there with my best friend all the time, and I play kids who can't read or write, kids who are 16+ and in middle school, and they think that is fine.
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

She's right, and that goes for all school systems and private schools. Kids are too preoccupied with social stuff and not their education. But even in inner city schools if they focus more on school work they can get more than a proper education. Especially if they went to a Library every now and then.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
telephone
Banned

telephone has an OK reputation so far

The thing is in America you are given a second chance. In other countries like England, if when you are 28 and realized you have screwed up than i dont think you can go to a community college or w/e and get a good education and in america you can.

Maybe t hat iwhat VC was trying to get at and VC there WAS NO LIBERAL VIEWPOINT IN MY STATMENT so why bring it up?
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
the problem with liberals? was there any liberal viewpoint even presented? no.

VC you have this way of making it you vs. "the liberals" without any "liberal" side of the argument even being brought into the discussion. stop being a biased junktugger.
thank you!!! I hate his stupid liberal stuff!

Ofcourse now he'll log on and say "stupid liberal", since he can't leave me a racist rep comment
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
if the university systems were so great around the world, foreigners wouldn't be trying to infest the american university system like they are. You never see americans going to foreign schools but all the foreigners jump at the ability to infest the american school system

and for the record, i think oprah is a neanderthal whose opinion means next to nothing to me
I know all kinds of Americans who go elsewhere to further their intellectual education or development. Here in Canada we have tons of american students in our universities, and countless hordes of Americans have gone to Europe for schooling and other intellectual pursuits over the years. It is certainly NOT a one-way street as you seem to think it is.
Not to say American universities aren't great, they are, but to think that the rest of the Western world is behind them in quality is downright retarded.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
if you look at the American university system... or at least the top universities... you'll find they are head and shoulders a cut above the rest of the world.

I think your just saying that because you go to NYU, because from what I read, there are schools in India that are comparable to your MITs and Harvards.

And the reasons why there are so many foreigners that come to the US are for several reasons. First, you have the kids that couldn't pass their countries standards to enter the state university, and a lot of countries don't have that many options, so they turn to the U.S. (the one's that can afford it at least).

Then you have the kids that want to get a job in the U.S.; thus, they think they have a better chance to get in with the American school, then there's. My cousin graduated from Tetovo University with a nice GPA and she can't even land a job in the U.S. Now you'll be asking yourself WTF is that, and that is the same response job employers probably ask themself when they look at her resume. She's going to end up applying to an American Uni and see how much of her credits she can get transfered, in order to improve her chances.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that college/high school is what you take out of it. If you go to HS for socializing purposes, then that's what your going to get out of it. If you go to college to escape home and party your ass off, that's what your going to get out of it. But, if you study your ass off, read, and pay attention in class, I think you should be able to overcome most obstacles.

And btw VC, can you stop making everything liberal vs. conservative. We understand your a conservative, there is no need to smell your fart every time you post.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #22
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Did someone actually say no Americans go to foreign schools? Is that a serious statement?

Plus, a lot of foreigners go to school in countries other than America.

**** it, that entire statement was just horrible.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

HBO TheWire Season 4. Brings light to the education system in urban communities throughout America.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #24
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

Let me tell you something. in the next few years the world will be run by indians and chinese simply because they school their children better. the united states public school system sucks nowadays because of the teachers union. the teachers union is the most powerful union in the us and gives way to much power to the teachers
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #25
Dorell's Hancock
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Dorell's Hancock has an OK reputation so far

Is Oparah Winefrie Asian?
Dorell's Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has an OK reputation so far

As a society, we are indoctrinated from a small age with rampant materialism. It permeates just about every area of this country. So why would you expect children, who are easily influenced, to not be affected by that? They see “Cribs” and “My Sweet 16″ and all the other programming that worships material posessions and so they do the same.

Oprah's should be lauded for making this school, but she's exposing a lot of ignorance in her comments. They may be true, but children don't just come out of the womb like that. Why doesn't she question what's going on in our society that causes them to act that way?

By the way, suburban kids aren't much better in this regard. The bottom line is, education in this country in GENERAL is in the toilet. I mean, just look at some of the posters on this board. A spelling mistake here and there or grammatical error here and there is one thing, but many posters write so badly that I can't believe they even got by second grade English.
Knoe Itawl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #27
telephone
Banned

telephone has an OK reputation so far

India may have more college graduates than we have people with a good education system but only the best (the highest caste system) goes. Not all indians are able to go school.

Last edited by telephone : 01-02-2007 at 06:56 PM.
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
if the university systems were so great around the world, foreigners wouldn't be trying to infest the american university system like they are. You never see americans going to foreign schools but all the foreigners jump at the ability to infest the american school system

That's because America is the economic leader of the world and most national business uses English and the American system of doing things to conduct their business, it's not necessarily because US schools are better.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #29
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

id like an ipod and some sneakers
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #30
jaja
Great young streetballer

jaja has an OK reputation so far

so oprah gives away free stuff all the time on her show, showing people in material thing. yet when confronted by kids that she her good example and want the same thing, they are bad.

and how can you dis young kids like that. ? if it was college kids maybe, but not young ones that are still growing.
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: