Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #31
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
if the university systems were so great around the world, foreigners wouldn't be trying to infest the american university system like they are. You never see americans going to foreign schools but all the foreigners jump at the ability to infest the american school system

Here's what I don't get about American universities. On a base level, it's a service. You're paying for it. Sure you can get scholarships ect. but basically you're a customer. And of course if you don't do well, you don't get A's, and I'm not saying you should get A's because you pay for it, but I think you should have more input on the curriculum.

I guess that's partly the students fault for choosing the wrong university, but just to give you an example, my buddy is working towards a BA in business administration, strongly leaning towards computers and networking. His most difficult courses were the last two semesters where he was learning Java and VB.

But the thing is, I've never been to college, I don't work with computers for my job, and I basically use them at home to surf the net, but my limited programming experience in high school was enough that I understood everything he would talk about except for the very specific terminology.

Another example, my buddy is not a sports buff like me. He likes basketball and occasionally watches the Cavs, but doesn't follow it, and knows nothing about football.

But he had a test asking him to write a program, involving football. He didn't know anything about football, so he got the question wrong. When he confronted the teacher, they said the question stands.

How is that getting your money's worth?

Him and I joke about it that I can't get a good job because he'll have the piece of paper and I won't and that's the only difference.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 AM   #32
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja
so oprah gives away free stuff all the time on her show, showing people in material thing. yet when confronted by kids that she her good example and want the same thing, they are bad.

and how can you dis young kids like that. ? if it was college kids maybe, but not young ones that are still growing.
That's what many people had a problem with. She constantly promotes books, cds/dvds, movie, cars, etc. and makes it no secret she likes nice things then goes on to condemn Americans for being consumerists.

Then she builds a school over in Africa because in her own words it'd be a waste to do so in America, and fills it with indoor and outdoor theatres, saunas, spas, salons, etc. as if that isn't going to create the same consumerist mentalities and desires that she so hates.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #33
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
if the university systems were so great around the world, foreigners wouldn't be trying to infest the american university system like they are. You never see americans going to foreign schools but all the foreigners jump at the ability to infest the american school system
I'm american and I go to school in England....
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #34
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
That's what many people had a problem with. She constantly promotes books, cds/dvds, movie, cars, etc. and makes it no secret she likes nice things then goes on to condemn Americans for being consumerists.

Then she builds a school over in Africa because in her own words it'd be a waste to do so in America, and fills it with indoor and outdoor theatres, saunas, spas, salons, etc. as if that isn't going to create the same consumerist mentalities and desires that she so hates.

true....

Oprah has a big problem because she is a beneficiary of our materialistic society and what she sees on the bottom end of this materialistic society is kids who have their priorities mixed up... its so ugly to see when you go visit the youth and see what they are turning into...

its great that Oprah built a school for the less fortunate, I dont care where it was built.....

but it is also sad that Oprah couldnt find the courage to face the problem here in America.... a problem that she herself is apart of..

the answer is simple...Our values have to change if the next generation of kids are to have the proper tools and mindset they need to survive and thrive in the world....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: