Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
jongib369
National High School Star

Default Post your reasoning as to why past Era's are better than the current

Like defense, rules, players etc etc

*OR WHY THE CURRENT ONE IS BETTER*
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

Default Re: Post your reasoning as to why past Era's are better than the current

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
*OR WHY THE CURRENT ONE IS BETTER*

"Because it's the era I watched."

/thread
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
coin24
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Post your reasoning as to why past Era's are better than the current

Because wilt played back then when they were real men and beat mountain lions to death with there bare hands
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers

I think players from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, and today were all great and no one deserves to be put above another based on their era. Doing so is pretty stupid.
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbertnation64
I think players from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, and today were all great and no one deserves to be put above another based on their era. Doing so is pretty stupid.
this
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Asukal
Good High School Starter

Today's players are great and they have the talent to compete in any era. What irks me is when I read uneducated posts from younger people who think greats from past eras cannot compete against today's superstars. If there's one thing I don't like about today's game, its the shameless flopping. The best player today shamelessly flops here and there.
Asukal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
"Because it's the era I watched."

/thread

That's likely the largest and most honest reason why most prefer a certain era.

The common reasons are:

* Golden age of centers
* Concentration of talent (talent pool/number of team ratio)
* Nutrition/Weight training/Luxuries
* Rules devised to limit dominance of certain players/allow greater freedom for certain players
* Globalization (open market for foreign players)
* Post-merger (two professional leagues)
* Media coverage (ESPN, NBA video archives)
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

I think the average players have gotten better, where as the top tier players have gotten marginally better/stayed the same over the past 40 or so years. The athletecism league wide is on a much different level than it was in the past, which leads to the league as a whole being better, but at the same time the amount of teams leads to a diluted talent pool.

Realistically the best teams of the 60's could beat the best teams of the 00's, and vice versa.

With that said I still fully believe that if you take a player like Ray Allen a very good player, but someone I would never have considered a superstar, and place him in the 60's/70's that he would absolutely dominate.

I seriously would love to see LeBron, and Jordan playing back then at an accelerated pace, and a less athletic league.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
I think the average players have gotten better, where as the top tier players have gotten marginally better/stayed the same over the past 40 or so years. The athletecism league wide is on a much different level than it was in the past, which leads to the league as a whole being better, but at the same time the amount of teams leads to a diluted talent pool.

Realistically the best teams of the 60's could beat the best teams of the 00's, and vice versa.

With that said I still fully believe that if you take a player like Ray Allen a very good player, but someone I would never have considered a superstar, and place him in the 60's/70's that he would absolutely dominate.

I seriously would love to see LeBron, and Jordan playing back then at an accelerated pace, and a less athletic league.
I'm calling you out on this - I think the ONLY reason you believe that, is because you haven't seen highlights or payed any attention to the talents of the "average" players back then and this is simply because people don't make highlight videos about them and because people don't watch games from back then (and there aren't many to watch to begin with). Vs today, you can see a highlight about Brian Scalabrine or Smush Parker. So why not go ahead and admit this is entirely based off of an assumption - and no truth or facts?

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-14-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
lilgodfather1
Wait and See

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I'm calling you out on this - I think the ONLY reason you believe that, is because you haven't seen highlights or payed any attention to the talents of the "average" players back then and this is simply because people don't make highlight videos about them and because people don't watch games from back then (and there aren't many to watch to begin with). Vs today, you can see a highlight about Brian Scalabrine or Smush Parker. So why not go ahead and admit this is entirely based off of an assumption - and no truth or facts?
I don't have stats to back it up because tbh I haven't seen too many games from before I was born... However from the games I have seen of the late 70's, and beyond I notice that role players are generally better today, and a lot of that has to do with advanced athletecism, which i'm sure even a nestalgic person like yourself would agree with.
lilgodfather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
I don't have stats to back it up because tbh I haven't seen too many games from before I was born... However from the games I have seen of the late 70's, and beyond I notice that role players are generally better today, and a lot of that has to do with advanced athletecism, which i'm sure even a nestalgic person like yourself would agree with.
No way - what you were trying to do was pass along a baseless assumption paraded as fact - I'm trying to prevent ignorance like that from spreading because what posters on here will do is read your comment and think "hmm well that sounds like a reasonable post he must know what he's talking about" but the fact is you just made an assumption. You provide no evidence, you have no evidence, you have no reason to even say it yet you said it anyways.

http://youtu.be/ToIbK7tGYDk
Unless you wanna tell everyone that a Jim King of the 1960's is somehow a worse player than a Tyronn Lue of the '00s? Same stats / impact - yet u instinctively would assume a Tyronn Lue would be doin better on those courts than a Jim King? Nah, IMO the footage of average players back then looks no less decent than average players today. I can watch footage and even make mixes about average players back then and I don't ever come to the conclusion; "they look inferior to average guys today".

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-14-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
pauk
NBA Legend

Some really really old/oldschool guys might flame me for this but i do have to be honest with this opinion. The way i see it is like this... I think it took 20-30 years for the NBA to evolve to what i consider is the "NBA peak era/eras" (80s and onwards) and then it ofcourse kept that level with some minor changes here and there, i think the basketball competition and the evolution of NBA basketball was/is at its absolutely peak starting from around the 80s (or arguably late 70s somewhere)...

The 50s to 70s players could ofcourse compete in 80s to todays era, but how good? I dont think they would play as good as they did in their era, absolutely not... they would not be that productive (stats) as they were in their eras, you would be only lying to yourself if you thought otherwise, .... The pace, possessions per game, rules, competition from players/teams is different, not like in simply different... but different as in one side being more metamorphed in evolution and larger pool of talent/skill/competition... whether you like it or not...

I think the 80s to todays era players would be able to compete in that 50s to 70s era better (better than the 50s to 70s guy would do in 80s to todays era), infact they would be playing much better than they did in their own eras (especially statistically, that is very factual actually)...

Not trying to downgrade the 50s to 70s eras, without those eras/players etc. there would be no 80s and 90s and 00s and so on.......

Last edited by pauk : 10-14-2012 at 10:04 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
DuMa
Canned

handchecking
michael jordan
real centers
lack of flopping
post play
all = raw love for the game.
DuMa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
pauk
NBA Legend

Here is how i think in another way:

A tree has a size limit, it started to grow in the late 40s-50s and some rare apples happened to fully flourish to early (Wilt Chamberlain is one example) and hence stood out dramatically, the tree reached its potential, size & apple capacity limit in the 80s full with as many perfectly flourished apples it could possibly ever handle, from there on the tree ofcourse kept its potential but kept only regrowing new apples after the aged apples were absorbed...

If that makes sense.. :)
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Here is how i think in another way:

A tree has a size limit, it started to grow in the late 40s-50s and some rare apples happened to fully flourish to early (Wilt Chamberlain is one example) and hence stood out dramatically, the tree reached its potential, size & apple capacity limit in the 80s full with as many perfectly flourished apples it could possibly ever handle, from there on the tree ofcourse kept its potential but kept only regrowing new apples after the aged apples were absorbed...

If that makes sense.. :)
just stop, your in over your head
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: